Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This is my first year of trying to grow things, I reckon we should have a splinter group...Northstand Gardeners, at least this is a hobby that produces something useful.

BMF, those strawberry plants look pretty damn good, are you going to spread straw around them to help the fruit ripen?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Gully said:
This is my first year of trying to grow things, I reckon we should have a splinter group...Northstand Gardeners, at least this is a hobby that produces something useful.

BMF, those strawberry plants look pretty damn good, are you going to spread straw around them to help the fruit ripen?

Cracking idea about Northstand Gardeners hehehe. I will put straw down but only when the fruits start showing which should be in about 6 weeks as I have a mix of earlies all seasons and lates down :). The straw also puts the slugs off :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
It was a busy day down the plot today with Moggy. We have planted loads and I will upload some more pictures tomorrow but for now check out the potatoes Moggy planted some 8 weeks ago
Potatoes.jpg

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
are they your potato's they look great. Our carrots are doing well, also we just planted strawberries, but our beetroot looks like it hasn't made it, gutted.

Last edited:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I now have some seedlings starting to appear, this is the first time that I have ever planted anything, so far we have; rocket, salad leaves, radishes, sweet corn and some marigolds...boy am I happy that all my hard work has started to do something.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Gully said:
I reckon we should have a splinter group...Northstand Gardeners,

I'm not a gardener myself but this thread has been pretty interesting, The mods should give it a section of it's own.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Try it Bulldog, it is really theraputic, I wish I had started sooner. Spent a fair chunk of the last couple of weekends pottering around in the garden, the weather has certainly helped, am now greeted everytime I go out there by a blackbird singing in a tree.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Gully said:
Try it Bulldog, it is really theraputic, I wish I had started sooner. Spent a fair chunk of the last couple of weekends pottering around in the garden, the weather has certainly helped, am now greeted everytime I go out there by a blackbird singing in a tree.

Cant do much in my little garden but have been thinking of getting a few tubs to maybe try and grow a few things, I tried it a few years ago when the kids were younger and they were quite amazed watching things like Strawberry's and runner beans growing. The strange thing is it was normal for people to grow they're own fruit & veg when I was a young'un but these days the young'ns seem to think it just grows on a supermarket shelf.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A few years ago my wife took a lady who we both knew for a ride in her car and they went to Ferring to see my mother in law. In so doing this lady, who was in her eighties, and originated from Camden Town London but lived in Epsom told my wife she saw 3 things for the first time in her life.

1. The sea
2. A cow in a field
3 An apple growing on my father in laws tree.

This really opened my eyes as to how things that most of us expect and know about is a complete mystery to others.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
Just planted some spuds do I need to water them very often as the books I have read are a little ambiguous.

Pots love water BG We stick a wateringcn full between the 2 sets of tyre tubes Mogy built :) Everything has taken this year apart from sweetcorn so will have to try and germinate some more. Even my Rhubarb has sprouted from seed which surprised me :)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Gully said:
I now have some seedlings starting to appear, this is the first time that I have ever planted anything, so far we have; rocket, salad leaves, radishes, sweet corn and some marigolds...boy am I happy that all my hard work has started to do something.

Got all of those except the sweetcorn - my packet says don't plant them until May. Tomatoes, beans, cauliflower and spinach all on their way as well.

The best part of digging the garden over in Spring is ever year we get a surprise crop of potatoes - a surprise as they were planted about 5 years ago, but they keep coming back even though we ignore them. :clap2:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Trufflehound said:
Got all of those except the sweetcorn - my packet says don't plant them until May.

that may be why mine have not sprouted then:dunce:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I now have two types of sweet corn, planted some miniature ones at the weekend to use in stir-frys and salads, the big ones now are now about an inch tall...plus my courgettes have started to come through.

Unfortunately I missed the broad beans this year, will prepare a trench and plant some in the late autumn, can't beat a broad bean and bacon risotto...that will have to wait!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Gully said:
I now have two types of sweet corn, planted some miniature ones at the weekend to use in stir-frys and salads, the big ones now are now about an inch tall...plus my courgettes have started to come through.

Unfortunately I missed the broad beans this year, will prepare a trench and plant some in the late autumn, can't beat a broad bean and bacon risotto...that will have to wait!

Will have to replant some Sweetcorn I think. I only planted broad bean a few weeks ago and they have sprouted really quickly and as summer is so much longer here now I would give it a crack mate as they can be planted up until april. If you germinate them on your windowsill or conservatory they will sprout in no time at all :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Gully said:

aren't marigolds classed as a salad leaf?
i'm sure i read somewhere that the petals are edible and really brighten up a mixed salad.
i'll check on that and grow some myself i think if thats correct.
will add a lovely colour to the fresh rocket and other mixed salad fruits.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
moggy said:
aren't marigolds classed as a salad leaf?
i'm sure i read somewhere that the petals are edible and really brighten up a mixed salad.
i'll check on that and grow some myself i think if thats correct.
will add a lovely colour to the fresh rocket and other mixed salad fruits.
Nasturtium leaves are edible.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Trufflehound said:
Got all of those except the sweetcorn - my packet says don't plant them until May. Tomatoes, beans, cauliflower and spinach all on their way as well.

The best part of digging the garden over in Spring is ever year we get a surprise crop of potatoes - a surprise as they were planted about 5 years ago, but they keep coming back even though we ignore them. :clap2:

sweetcorn has finally germinated in the tray in my back garden.
think it really needs good weather to help it on.

stratification may be the answer to speeding up germination and get things planted earlier.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Yorkie said:
Nasturtium leaves are edible.

just checked my herb book and marigold petal leaves are perfectly edible and ideal for salads so munch away :hilton:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here