B.M.F said:
I take it you already have it then bud?

got a copy from the book club for a reduced price of £5

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
got a copy from the book club for a reduced price of £5

me too:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: Just been told that sawdust is really good for stopping slugs and Loz can probably get us tonnes of the stuff :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
me too:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: Just been told that sawdust is really good for stopping slugs and Loz can probably get us tonnes of the stuff :)

not heard of that but i should be able to get it from lorenzo.

D

Deleted member 2719

Allotment thread what have i been missing.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Me and Mrs Mouldy love it especially talking to those older ones that know everything about everything they probably look at our plot and think what the f*ck are they doing!!

I must say i do like to try and do something totally different just to see there faces!!

:lolol:

I have not read the whole thread perhaps we could have a NSC runner bean comp for who can grow the longest and have a picture of it by a ruler for proof.

How sad is that!!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Mouldy Boots said:
Allotment thread what have i been missing.

I have not read the whole thread perhaps we could have a NSC runner bean comp for who can grow the longest and have a picture of it by a ruler for proof.

But Runners are about the only thing we have not planned on growing yet :(
If you were going to do it on Kiwi or Dragon fruit then we will give you a run for your money mate;)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
i've seeded them to do in the back garden again like last year.
i'll hire you a decent bean out B.M.F. :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
B.M.F said:
My old dear has just given me the grow your own book by Carol Klein and it does look good. She did that bbc 2 show that was on a few weeks back about allotments and she is down to earth and does know her stuff :)

Any suggestions of where to get it as I have tried a search on the web and Amazon books and it shows not known. What is its actual title that may be where I am going wrong.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
BensGrandad said:
Any suggestions of where to get it as I have tried a search on the web and Amazon books and it shows not known. What is its actual title that may be where I am going wrong.

this is the book you want. do a search on ebay for carol klein

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GROW-YOUR-OWN...ryZ11112QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also, worth getting, otherwise known as the gardeners bible is this book by dr.d.g.hessayon

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Vegetable...102673284QQcategoryZ11112QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if you don't buy any other books for growing fruit and veg, get these 2

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I wasn't planning on growing runner beans, but if there is an NSC competition to grow the longest then it might be hard to resist, just as long as we don't have to eat it...they are far tastier when they are smaller.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:

If you know anyone that gets the book club go to their office ask them to get it as Moggy paid a fiver for his and my mum got mine for £4 retail price is £17.99.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
I have found the book the problem was the author. It is by Carol Klein and the RHS.
I would still try the book club first if you know anyone that has them come round. Like I said I got mine for £4 hardback which is a right proper bargain :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
With the weather forecasts starting to look much better and spring now in full flow We finished off the big raised border for our fruit bushes and planted them hoping to get some sort of crop out of them this year :) Tomorrow our first seedlings go out onto the plot with the radish being planted along with the moving of some already established Ruhbarb. If I manage to get some Hay / straw then the strawberry will also go out under frost fleeces to give them some added protection just in case. The plans also need to be drawn up for getting the right combinations of veg planted together so we use as much of the space as possible along with a rich abundance of foods :)
How are everyone elses veg patches going?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it too late for early potatos if not what variety should I look for. I have some Maris Piper for maincrop but would like to try to get some early ones and then use the area again for winter stuff.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
Is it too late for early potatos if not what variety should I look for. I have some Maris Piper for maincrop but would like to try to get some early ones and then use the area again for winter stuff.

Moggy is the potato expert BG. What we have done for Pots is put some car tyres down and filed them with soil and are growing spuds in there. We have wrapped them in some sort of cane to make them look tidy and it also saves a lot of space meaning more veggies for us :)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
All the seedlings in the greenhouse are up and at em - tomatoes, beans, broad beans, peas, cucumbers, brussels, capsicums etc. etc.

The stuff in the garden is doing ok, spinach is up, leeks haven't sprouted yet (might be bad news), garlic, carrots etc not to be seen yet but not worried yet...

Fruit is ok for the moment, raspberries, strawbs, pear tree, grape all doing ok, although not expecting fruit from grape or pear til next year....

I have a tray (large box) of chitted potatos (maris piper) if anyone wants them...I not going to bother with potatos anymore, they are fairly easy to grow, but you need loads of space to get a good harvest, or if you do them in garbage bags, or tyre rings, they dry out soooooo quickly that you have to water them 2 or three times a day in high summer and then you get tiny potatos....Sadly I've decided its cheaper to by buy them in the greengrocer, so I've used the space they take up for other things....

Anyhow - if anyone wants to collect the tray of pot's from Shoreham send me a message...

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I believe Moggy did the strawberries today and the Rhubarb and Radish were planted :) Started to dig over the back garden but it is a nightmare as we have some bamboo and the root system is a friggin nightmare :(

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
BensGrandad said:

you're really borderline for planting the earlies.
still worth trying them though.
if your local to shoreham, you could take up tedebears offer of her chitted ones.
if they're well rooted, you still might be able to get them in for some earlies but you better check with her to see how chitted they are.

B.M.F.

yeah, i've planted all the strawberry plants.
took up one of the long plots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here