Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All time Favourite Albion goal

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Saw the latest Youtube offerings and it made me think back over the years to try and remember the most memorable Albion goal you have ever seen.

Was its Bobby's stunner against Halifax ? The penalty at the Milstad by the name we dare not speak ? Jimmy Case at Highbury ? We have had some great times over the years.

My own favourites have been winning goals scored in injury time in recent times Virgs against Swindon was a blinder. My own best two (I started the thread so that entitles me to two stabs) were Kenny Beamish against Blackburn (yes that Blackburn) in injury time back in 1972 when we went on to promotion. He hit it from the edge of the box in a crucial promotion game and the crowd went absolutely mad.

The other was none other than Eric Potts who came on with no time left against Sunderland. We were one nil down when he came on and yet in injury time (and up until the last five minutes, against the run of play) he managed to knock in two goals. Neither were spectaculer but I will remember to my dying day the rush those goals gave me, better than sex ? No question !

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The crowd on it's feet as Peter Ward leaving up to 4 players in his wake, some on their arses, weaved through the opposition culminating in a perfectly placed shot into the top corner giving the keeper no chance. He did it so many times on his way to 32 goals in a season that I can't be specific about the game though :)

You had to be there to appreciate the buzz of expectation in the crowd when Wardy went on one of those runs, never seen a player that comes close since, except maybe Sergei Gotsmanov

Last edited:

Merseyside Seagull

Dec 18, 2003
Wirral
Best individual goal, probably Gary Nelson at Griffin Park against Brentford.

Then there's Wilkins v Ipswich, Zamora at Bury, Case at Anfield, Reinelt at Hereford.......the list could go on and on all not just great goals, but meant something alot more.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oooh too many, I can't pick a favorite. Most of Wardies, especially, as Icy says, the ones where he dribbled past about four players. Leaving aside The Special One then probably, (in roughly chronological order)

Willie Irvine against Aston Villa (about 1972). Runner up in MoTD's 'Goal of the Season'

Gary Williams against Forest (about 1979). Clough's first visit back to the Goldstone.

Mark Lawrenson against Wolves (about 1980). It was a Cup game and I think we lost!

Gerry Ryan's goal against Man City (about 1981).

Also liked Terry Connor's goal against Liverpool in 1984, but I wasn't at that match and only saw the highlights on TV.

I'm sure some Statto can correct the years.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brovian said:
Oooh too many, I can't pick a favorite. Most of Wardies, especially, as Icy says, the ones where he dribbled past about four players. Leaving aside The Special One then probably, (in roughly chronological order)

Willie Irvine against Aston Villa (about 1972). Runner up in MoTD's 'Goal of the Season'

Gary Williams against Forest (about 1979). Clough's first visit back to the Goldstone.

Mark Lawrenson against Wolves (about 1980). It was a Cup game and I think we lost!

Gerry Ryan's goal against Man City (about 1981).

Also liked Terry Connor's goal against Liverpool in 1984, but I wasn't at that match and only saw the highlights on TV.

I'm sure some Statto can correct the years.

I think you'll find that Gary Williams was in 1980 and what got MotD's attention was that Peter Shilton didn't often get beaten by shots from outside of the box.

Gerry Ryans Classic was just after Cristmas 1979 (having overrun Palace on THAT boxing day a few days before). On the City side that day was none other than future Albion hero and Spanish Pundit Michael Robinson. Malcom Allison was in charge at the time and it was his tactical madness that led to the 4-1 rout.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd have to go for Virgo against Swindon.

I wasn't able to get to the game that night (to my eternal regret), and so was watching on TV. I can honestly say that there have been very few other events in my life, and certainly no football related ones, which have caused me to scream and jump around as that goal did.

I love that about being a football fan, you can go from feeling miserable because your team is on the wrong end of things, to complete elation in a split second.

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
yep that virgo goal made that truly a night to remember, soaking wet, but nobody gave a shit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Storer against Doncaster in the last match at the Goldstone.

There was so much hanging onto that game, first of all the desperation to get a ticket, then the bugler silencing the whole crowd as eyes started to water.

The news filtering through from Brisbane Road that Orient were beating Hereford gave us hope...........then the corner, pinball in the box, it bounces back from the bar and SS volleys it into the top corner. Without that Hereford would have been a wasted trip

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Merseyside Seagull said:
Best individual goal, probably Gary Nelson at Griffin Park against Brentford.

Nobody who was there would argue with that statement. The best Brighton goal I have seen by a country mile

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
El Presidente said:
Storer against Doncaster in the last match at the Goldstone.

There was so much hanging onto that game, first of all the desperation to get a ticket, then the bugler silencing the whole crowd as eyes started to water.

The news filtering through from Brisbane Road that Orient were beating Hereford gave us hope...........then the corner, pinball in the box, it bounces back from the bar and SS volleys it into the top corner. Without that Hereford would have been a wasted trip

Without a shadow of doubt. My cricket match was rained off and I managed to watch most of the game by standing in someones garden in the pouring rain. A tote offered me a ticket for £100, but being a 17 year old schoolboy I couldn't afford it. :down:

Only just saw the goal and it seemed to take an age to get in the net.

TGC - Do you still have the video of it? I need a fix ;)

BarrelofFun said:
Without a shadow of doubt. My cricket match was rained off and I managed to watch most of the game by standing in someones garden in the pouring rain. A tote offered me a ticket for £100, but being a 17 year old schoolboy I couldn't afford it. :down:

Only just saw the goal and it seemed to take an age to get in the net.

TGC - Do you still have the video of it? I need a fix ;)

Linked on another thread.

http://www.albionarchives.org/content/videos/storer.avi

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Jimmy Saville said:
Nobody who was there would argue with that statement. The best Brighton goal I have seen by a country mile

In terms of quality of the goal, Nelse at Brentford, for sure. Wasn't even run close until Bob's volley against Halifax.

In terms of how nuts the fans have gone celebrating the goal, regardless of how it went in, then Storer, Reinelt, Virgs, McShane, Cullip, Wilkins and even Clive Walker and Mike Small (v.Millwall in play-offs) could all lay claim. Even Butters at West Ham, I remember looking at pics of us celebrating that one later and thinking that it looked like one of those old fashioned shots of standing crowds celebrating 'coz everybody was going so nuts. A mate of mine described it as looking like 'boiling soup' which I thought was pretty accurate!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In terms of quality, it was a 35 yard free kick by Dean Wilkins, right at the end of a 6-1 defeat at Oldham!

Special mention to Zamora's at Chesterfield though, when he knocked the ball out of the keeper's hand - quality indeed.

I agree with what others have said though - that the actual quality of the goal is not all that important - its more the situation.

My favourite of all was Kevin Bremner's header against Bristol Rovers that sealed the last Goldstone promotion.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here