Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It is incredible how well Ali J did in the Dutch League vs how poorly he has done in the Prem.

Every club makes mistakes with transfers but it is noticeable how in the last two seasons players not in our Championship promotion side have become more influential. This suggests we are improving at recruitment.

You don’t think that’s down to playing a different style?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Fair enough.

Definite failures IMO.....

Locadia, AJ, Bernardo, Suttner, Schelottp, Andone, Button,

I would say successes

Gross, Bissouma, Lamptey, Webster, MacAllister, Veltman

All others fence, though I’m sure I’ve forgotten a number

Trossard, Maupay, Burn, Ryan, Propper, Lallana, Welbeck, Montoya, Izquierdo

Edit - if you were to push me on the fence players, I’d only add Maupay and Trossard, and probably Propper, and even Trossard is very ‘in and out’ form wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't see how Button was a failure. He was bought in as a backup keeper and in the few games that he played, he didn't shit the bed.

Also, think we've had this discussion before? But I find it mad anyone could be on the fence about whether Propper was a success. Likewise Ryan, Maupay and Burn. Even Montaya.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't see how Button was a failure. He was bought in as a backup keeper and in the few games that he played, he didn't shit the bed.

Also, think we've had this discussion before? But I find it mad anyone could be on the fence about whether Propper was a success. Likewise Ryan, Maupay and Burn. Even Montaya.

Don’t rate Burn, magnificent at Liverpool but generally not for me. Never rated Ryan particularly, and have said as much for the last 18 months. Maupay, Trossard, Propper all fence. All three have them have been great, but equally interspersed with some rubbish, hence fence. As per my post they are closer to success than failure.

Button, poor at West Ham and generally flapped at things - it was no coincidence that Ryan came back immediately.

Edit - put a different way, those three players Trossard, Propper and Maupay are approx £50m plus. Do you think we’ve had good value?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Don’t rate Burn, magnificent at Liverpool but generally not for me. Never rated Ryan particularly, and have said as much for the last 18 months. Maupay, Trossard, Propper all fence. All three have them have been great, but equally interspersed with some rubbish, hence fence. As per my post they are closer to success than failure.

Button, poor at West Ham and generally flapped at things - it was no coincidence that Ryan came back immediately.

Edit - put a different way, those three players Trossard, Propper and Maupay are approx £50m plus. Do you think we’ve had good value?

Propper; more than 100 appearances, 3 seasons of safety in the Prem, joint 3rd in Brighton Premier League wins

Maupay; 17 Premier League goals, 1 season of safety in the Prem, still more to come

Trossard; 7 Premier League goals, 7 assists, 1 season of safety in the Prem, still more to come

I would say that's great value.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Yes absolutely good value .... Maupay heading for two seasons of 10 goals so decent return, Trossard scored some important goals and Propper was an important part of a side which stayed up for 3 seasons so for £50m for the three I’d say yes.

You do realise to get players that are consistently great your paying £50m a PLAYER and even then it’s not guaranteed.

Exactly what sort of player do you think we should be getting with our budget

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes absolutely good value .... Maupay heading for two seasons of 10 goals so decent return, Trossard scored some important goals and Propper was an important part of a side which stayed up for 3 seasons so for £50m for the three I’d say yes.

You do realise to get players that are consistently great your paying £50m a PLAYER and even then it’s not guaranteed.

Exactly what sort of player do you think we should be getting with our budget

Ones with more consistency.

Maupay has missed more than he’s scored.
Trossard great at the start, but until two games ago hadn’t turned up since the Utd game in August.

As I said I’m on the fence with those two

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Propper; more than 100 appearances, 3 seasons of safety in the Prem, joint 3rd in Brighton Premier League wins

Maupay; 17 Premier League goals, 1 season of safety in the Prem, still more to come

Trossard; 7 Premier League goals, 7 assists, 1 season of safety in the Prem, still more to come

I would say that's great value.

Maupay’s stats are better than I thought (to be fair), but still misses quite a lot, and has a very poor touch at times.

Re Propper, not interested in appearances, what about impact? Goals from midfield? Assists?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Ones with more consistency.

Maupay has missed more than he’s scored.
Trossard great at the start, but until two games ago hadn’t turned up since the Utd game in August.

As I said I’m on the fence with those two

Out of interest, who would you have signed for £16million that would have scored 17 Prem goals? Even if he never scores another goal for us, he'd have been a successful signing.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we beat Leicester to sign him? All very sad its not worked out so far . Can see him leaving end of season for a small fee back to Dutch league

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Maupay’s stats are better than I thought (to be fair), but still misses quite a lot, and has a very poor touch at times.

Re Propper, not interested in appearances, what about impact? Goals from midfield? Assists?

Propper does not have many goals or assists, nor do the other players that have and do play that CM role; namely Stephens and Bissouma.

That's not their job (although obviously it would be great if they could score more and arguably they should).

FWIW, last season, Propper had;

3rd most completed passes
4th most key passes
Most passes into final 3rd
Most progressive passes

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Out of interest, who would you have signed for £16million that would have scored 17 Prem goals? Even if he never scores another goal for us, he'd have been a successful signing.

Wasn’t he nearer £20m?

Wasn’t it 10 goals last season?

Difficult to say as I don’t know who was available when we signed him. Casting my mind back, I think McBurnie would have offered more particularly physicality wise, and would have likely scored a similar amount given the number of chances we create. Different type of player though.

Batshuyi ?sp Chelsea / Tosun - Everton..... Bowen - Hull at the time? As I say not sue who was available.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Propper does not have many goals or assists, nor do the other players that have and do play that CM role; namely Stephens and Bissouma.

That's not their job (although obviously it would be great if they could score more and arguably they should).

FWIW, last season, Propper had;

3rd most completed passes
4th most key passes
Most passes into final 3rd
Most progressive passes

Everyone has a responsibility to create, that’s nonsense. Bissouma is a great example of a player creating space by driving forward, even Stephens contributed. All I can remember is Propper looking classy at times and then failing badly when he was near the penalty area.

Still fence.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Wasn’t he nearer £20m?

Wasn’t it 10 goals last season?

Difficult to say as I don’t know who was available when we signed him. Casting my mind back, I think McBurnie would have offered more particularly physicality wise, and would have likely scored a similar amount given the number of chances we create. Different type of player though.

Batshuyi ?sp Chelsea / Tosun - Everton..... Bowen - Hull at the time? As I say not sue who was available.

It was £16m.

McBurnie - £17.5m, 7 PL goals

Batshuayi - unlikely to be less than £16m, also big wages. 1 goal in 14 games this season

Tosun - 10 PL goals

Bowen - A player I like a lot but more of a winger, not a striker. 6 PL goals.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was £16m.

McBurnie - £17.5m, 7 PL goals

Batshuayi - unlikely to be less than £16m, also big wages. 1 goal in 14 games this season

Tosun - 10 PL goals

Bowen - A player I like a lot but more of a winger, not a striker. 6 PL goals.

Depends where you look also quoted £19.8m on a couple of sites.

The rest of the discussion is hypothetical, as the players quoted withMaupays chances might have done better or worse.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Everyone has a responsibility to create, that’s nonsense. Bissouma is a great example of a player creating space by driving forward, even Stephens contributed. All I can remember is Propper looking classy at times and then failing badly when he was near the penalty area.

Still fence.

I literally just gave you some stats showing how Propper creates.

Bissouma actually struggles near the penalty area;

9% shooting accuracy (lowest on the team)
7 key passes (lowest out of the regular non-CB players)
13 passes into penalty area (7th on the team)

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Depends where you look also quoted £19.8m on a couple of sites.

The rest of the discussion is hypothetical, as the players quoted withMaupays chances might have done better or worse.

Andy Naylor has pretty emphatically said it was £16m.

Of course, it's hypothetical. But using the facts we have, we can confidently say Maupay is better than those options and great value for money.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I literally just gave you some stats showing how Propper creates.

Bissouma actually struggles near the penalty area;

9% shooting accuracy (lowest on the team)
7 key passes (lowest out of the regular non-CB players)
13 passes into penalty area (7th on the team)

Football is a lot more than just stats. This is why AJ looks so good, playing in what is a lower level in Holland, I imagine we went with the ‘moneyball’ approach, and then scouted.

Although Bissouma looks poorer shot wise, his running is creating space for other players. Today we were able to work the ball wide, as he was drawing people out of position.

Turn it on its head defensively I think Propper is weak, doesn’t track well and loses concentration, which is another reason I’m on the fence.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Andy Naylor has pretty emphatically said it was £16m.

Of course, it's hypothetical. But using the facts we have, we can confidently say Maupay is better than those options and great value for money.

Andy Naylor also had an argument with Schelotto.....around facts
Leicester said they signed Ulloa for £9m and Naylor (we) said £11m (I believe), who’s right? 😃

I don’t think he is better than any of those options - but again opinions....

Not a waste, and hopefully he’ll continue to improve.

Fence still 😃

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
If you are setting Propper - an integral part of a side that survived three seasons in the Premier League - as a benchmark for what constitutes a ‘fence’ signing, then you are setting the benchmark way too high.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If you are setting Propper - an integral part of a side that survived three seasons in the Premier League - as a benchmark for what constitutes a ‘fence’ signing, then you are setting the benchmark way too high.

Depends how well you think he’s played I guess 😃👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here