Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very few players are going to look like they belong when they hardly get game time. I thought he started well and was not even a small part of the reason we lost. He had a snap shot rather than passing the buck and I think he also set up Welbeck for what should have been the opening goal. Did any of the other forward players, other than March, have a better game? I’d be happy to see him get a run, he looks no worse than any who have had one.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m not blaming him for the loss. But he’s one of our most expensive signings and highest earners and he isn’t good enough to consistently get in a poor team. Not necessarily his fault - he seems like a good guy but to succeed in the prem as a front 5 player you either need pace or true class and he has neither. He cost more than Leicester paid for Maddison. That’s what good recruitment looks like - you need your big signings to improve your team - that’s how you get better.

At the time someone like Maddison (young England prospect) wouldn’t have come to us so we were gambling in two bob European leagues. The signing of Lamptey marked our progression to better things so we just have to hope that the lack of quality elsewhere in the squad does not undermine our PL place.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very few players are going to look like they belong when they hardly get game time. I thought he started well and was not even a small part of the reason we lost. He had a snap shot rather than passing the buck and I think he also set up Welbeck for what should have been the opening goal. Did any of the other forward players, other than March, have a better game? I’d be happy to see him get a run, he looks no worse than any who have had one.

It’s about the defensive element as well though which was non-existent. Did not seem to track players at all. (As far as I could see in TV)

I went from fence yesterday to not good enough. Totally understand the lack of game time argument, but basic things at that level which should be engrained mentally he fails on.

He seems a decent person, but I think recoup some money whilst we can and send back to Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It’s about the defensive element as well though which was non-existent. Did not seem to track players at all. (As far as I could see in TV)

I went from fence yesterday to not good enough. Totally understand the lack of game time argument, but basic things at that level which should be engrained mentally he fails on.

He seems a decent person, but I think recoup some money whilst we can and send back to Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought he made one of the best tracking back tackles of the game but also did lose the ball weakly a couple of times. Given our alternatives have been no better I’d give him more game time, but I get why many are disappointed in him, he cost a lot of money. However he does try and link up play and he shoots. Everyone else seems to want to walk the ball into the net most of the time.

I imagine he’ll be dropped for the next game though as he only seems to feature occasionally

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I agree with a lot of this actually. Such a lovely and intelligent ball to Welbeck. A few more games and he'd have looked even sharper. Thought he was unlucky to be subbed yesterday when you consider Gross played the full 90 and in my opinion was far less conducive to the pace Potter usually wants us to play at.

And like you said, he actually had a shot! You could see that by the second half Yves was just shooting from anywhere, probably thinking "what's the point of passing, you bu**ers won't shoot even if you're on the goal line with it!"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There’s clearly talent there and a great attitude but there’s just too much missing for him to make it consistently in the premier league.

I just always feel he’ll be a nearly man for us and not quite good enough for this level. Not quite quick enough, not quite strong enough, not quite good enough at shooting, crossing and passing, not quite good enough at dribbling, not quite good enough at defending, not quite consistent enough. He’s ok at all those things, almost there, and every now and then will produce something but nowhere near often enough and at his age and with his experience now, I don’t think that will improve.

Having now watched a fair bit of him in two and a bit seasons, I just don’t think he’ll ever quite make it. Shame.

Agree with almost all of this. Speed and strength are his biggest weaknesses of the lot (relatively speaking, by PL standards) but he does have a decent cross and shot on him - when he has enough time to get them off (which, again, you do in Holland but not here). As for passing, the setting up of our best chance, preceded and followed by multiple give aways rather summed up his time here.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I'm haven't been a great fan of AJ, but I thought he was one of our better players, particularly in the first half. He's one of those that looks decent when we are playing well, but disappears when we aren't. Based on his first half, I would be happy for him to be given a run of games, but that's unlikely to happen as I can't see a role for him with Lamptey playing so AJ will only get game time when Lamptey is missing. A fit Lamptey is presumably one of the first names on the team sheet, so AJ will just disappear again. Probably best he heads back to Holland now, as there really isn't much future for him with us.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Alas, some of his first touches are still not assured which at this level make all the difference.

Watch the first half clips, a few times the expression 'trapping a bag of cement in a phonebox' might spring to mind.

Nice overhead v Chelsea though.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
AJ hasn’t justified his fee, but he didn’t set the fee. Albion did, after tracking him for many years.

If anyone here wants to show disdain for a big signing not cutting it, save it for the disgrace that is Locadia.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I missed the first couple of minutes of the game and didn't see the line-up. I spent most f the first half trying to work out where Ali J was 'meant' to be playing. I came up with a number 8 or inside right in old money. Has he got a 'best' position? He almost seems to adopt a free role, but I'm guessing that this wouldn't be GP's plan. On the plus side, he does seem to play with passion and relish his game-time.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In his defence last night joined the many players Potter has played out of position. He is a wide right player. I have been keen for him to be given games but if Lalana not available Trossard or Alzate should have played no 10 role.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I’m not blaming him for the loss. But he’s one of our most expensive signings and highest earners and he isn’t good enough to consistently get in a poor team. Not necessarily his fault - he seems like a good guy but to succeed in the prem as a front 5 player you either need pace or true class and he has neither. He cost more than Leicester paid for Maddison. That’s what good recruitment looks like - you need your big signings to improve your team - that’s how you get better.

to be fair Leicester have done some outrageous business Kante , Mahrez , Maguire & Chillwell netting them over 250 million in profit that's without even mentioning Vardy and Maddison we have tried to do a "lester" but our scouts have come up well short.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As has been the problem since the beginning, he needs to play on the right of a front three in a 5-2-2-1 formation, which we've played ALL season except last night for some reason when he actually got the chance to start a match

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As has been the problem since the beginning, he needs to play on the right of a front three in a 5-2-2-1 formation, which we've played ALL season except last night for some reason when he actually got the chance to start a match

Can’t disagree.
He showed enough I warrant a run of games in an abject team performance, getting off a decent shot and creating the best chance to score (awful miss by Welbeck who only had to lift the ball)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Agree with almost all of this. Speed and strength are his biggest weaknesses of the lot (relatively speaking, by PL standards) but he does have a decent cross and shot on him - when he has enough time to get them off (which, again, you do in Holland but not here). As for passing, the setting up of our best chance, preceded and followed by multiple give aways rather summed up his time here.

Agree. He has got very good technique when he has time.

He actually reminds me of me at the end of my competitive Sunday league days. In my mid 30's trying to keep up with the fitter and quicker early 20's. I was always just a bit too slow to get to the ball, couldn't quite beat a man, got hassled off the ball too easily and then couldn't keep up with them and in the end just didn't contribute enough. Still had the technique though so every now and again would score a decent goal against lesser opposition when I had time. I was very good at pointing and shouting though!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Have you ever considered a career as a PL manager?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Albion's season perfectly summed up in one player:-

Starts really well.
Sets up a couple of half chances.
Gets an easy shot away.
Then the slow capitulation.

God this team loves a capitulation.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Have you ever considered a career as a PL manager?

Nah, although if my tenure as manager of Eastbourne Borough on Football Manager is anything to go by, I'd be pretty decent. :wink:

I just don't get the constant refusal to play players who are more of a one trick pony in a position where their one trick is effective.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bloke gets his first start in ages – in a team that loses 3-0 – and he doesn't play a blinder.

Hardly surprising, is it?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bloke gets his first start in ages – in a team that loses 3-0 – and he doesn't play a blinder.

Hardly surprising, is it?

But does show a couple of glimpses that were classy and better than the previous incumbents managed with more game time :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here