Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He has got talent would prefer to see him on the right hand side instead of Schelloto as a wing back .He just tries to get crosses in keeping it simple but varies it hence dangerous low crosses .With Trossard on the left and Ali J on the right we have good balance although Trossard moves over to the right sometimes ,in fact Ali J nearly slid a pass into him on that side .

Agree with you.

The only width in the side is coming from the full backs. Neither of them are good crossers. Personally I think it's easier to teach Ali J and Solly to defend than it is to teach Schelloto or Burn to whip in a decent cross

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Odd generic user name. Usually that sort of format is used by Palace.

Anyway, there is a big difference between the Ali J of last season and the Ali J of this season. The Ali J last season had no confidence and no real bond with the fans. And he had 0 goals and 0 assists.

The Ali J (when he has played) this season now has 2 goals and a slightly lucky assist and has celebrated all of them like one of us. That Potter isn't using this to his advantage and starting him every game is STAGGERING.

Before my old chums on this thread start cracking open the hand cream that doesn't mean I rate him much higher than I have but the point is he is confident and motivated whereas another, more talented, player - lets call him Leandro T - can't be ****ing arsed to work a hair on his centre parted Belgian head.

We are in a relegation battle that we are likely to lose because our remaining home games read like running a marathon dressed as a Unicorn followed by scaling the north face of the Eigar in a Ronald McDonald costume, including shoes. It's time to forget what has gone before and go with people we think are up for a fight. Ali J looks like he is. Trossard isn't.

I'd have them both in. We'll need quality as well. Trossard is the best player we've got

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So when faced with Jota or Mane or Deulofeu or Redmond or Rashford, you don’t think a RB’s number one duty is to defend?

Hopefully GP thinks differently, otherwise we’ll be punished with a relegation.

The full backs mostly don't defend against these players. It's not 2 teams lining up in 4-4-2 any more. Nearly all teams attack with a central 3 and not much width. In any case, i'd be playing 3 at the back and my basic team would be something like ....

------------------Ryan
-------Webster Dunk Bernardo
Jahanbaksh Alzate Propper March
--------Mooy ------Trossard
----------------Maupay

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Can Jahanbakhsh defend for 90 minutes?

G.Neville and L.Dixon know as much as anyone, and they’re very clear that a RB or RWB’s number one duty is still to defend.

I think in terms of Ali J as a right winger although they don`t seem to have them these days but certainly with a RB behind him .I am really hoping the new young Chelsea lad is as good as he looks on Youtube because he looks very quick .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really? He put 1 decent cross in. What about the mis placed passes, awful crosses either too long or straight to the keeper. And the fact he can't beat a man and slows the whole game down. He's never a premier league player and a couple of good goals doesn't make him so.
He put in 2 excellent crosses and set up Trossard who then fluffed his lines.

The fact that you couldn't see that says considerably more about you than Ali J.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Odd generic user name. Usually that sort of format is used by Palace.

Anyway, there is a big difference between the Ali J of last season and the Ali J of this season. The Ali J last season had no confidence and no real bond with the fans. And he had 0 goals and 0 assists.

The Ali J (when he has played) this season now has 2 goals and a slightly lucky assist and has celebrated all of them like one of us. That Potter isn't using this to his advantage and starting him every game is STAGGERING.

Before my old chums on this thread start cracking open the hand cream that doesn't mean I rate him much higher than I have but the point is he is confident and motivated whereas another, more talented, player - lets call him Leandro T - can't be ****ing arsed to work a hair on his centre parted Belgian head.

We are in a relegation battle that we are likely to lose because our remaining home games read like running a marathon dressed as a Unicorn followed by scaling the north face of the Eigar in a Ronald McDonald costume, including shoes. It's time to forget what has gone before and go with people we think are up for a fight. Ali J looks like he is. Trossard isn't.

I'm more than happy to overlook the honking great big U-ey as all I ever wanted to do was discuss the footballer.
Something that hasn't been easy to do on here.

To me it feels like we currently have an attacking team of 'impact' subs.
I put Ali firmly at the head of that pack.

Naturally I was watching him closely at Bournemouth.
He looked ok, did some nice stuff, but even I could see he wasn't particularly 'threatening'.
So it was hardly surprising he didn't start v West Ham.
I'd have bought him on, but hindsight says I'd have been very wrong.

Totally different to yesterday, he clearly had the hot hand, yet even then the service to him was sporadic, at best.
I have no idea why every ball wasn't pinged to him, until such time as Watford overloaded their left to stop him.

He does seem like the only player who can cross for Maupay. (I assume Connolly as well)
It's odd that relationship hasn't been developed a la Gross and Murray, but then I've never got my head around Ali being frozen out for half a season, despite frequently being told it was because he's not even a footballer (come on I am trying :lol: )

My final point.
When he came back to the team I stumbled into the theory Ali is too much of a round peg in a round hole.
His area of the pitch is in that slither between the halfway line and the right side of the penalty spot, not something that sits well with Potterball.
I'm yet to see anything from him to change that opinion, and yes that's even with his first goal coming from the exact opposite position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish Ali hadn't hammered that glorious looking shot, at goal, on a day when they could still be out there now looking at 'BHA 0' on the big screen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looked decent when he came on and others have played a lot worse and been starting games

There's the very real possibility:-

he'll start.
Look shitehouse.
Get replaced by Solly.
Who goes on to look like a 20 minute world beater.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

he'll start.
Look shitehouse.
Get replaced by Solly.

There’s also a very good chance he won’t score or make an assist.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

he'll start.
Look shitehouse.
Get replaced by Solly.

This satirises our somewhat tinpot support quite well.

I find it quite depressing.

For many today was all about Zaha panto and 'we 8 palace'.:dunce::dunce::dunce:

Sorry, today was another pointgrinder, for which we sadly failed to grind. Next!

Not interested in Palace. Atmos destroyed by tinpottery. We could have just laughed at the Nigels or ignored them. Instead too many of our supporters made today all about them. :shrug:

I left at 85 minutes. Could have stayed, but what the ****.

And some numpty has started yet another Potter Out thread.

After all these years, some people still don't get it :shrug:

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.

Sorry, today was another pointgrinder, for which we sadly failed to grind. Next!

Not interested in Palace. Atmos destroyed by tinpottery. We could have just laughed at the Nig31s or ignored them. Instead too many of our supporters made today all about them. :shrug:

I don't get it? :moo:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Not interested in Palace. Atmos destroyed by tinpottery. We could have just laughed at the Nig31s or ignored them. Instead too many of our supporters made today all about them. :shrug:

What odd comments!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looked decent when he came on and others have played a lot worse and been starting games

Indeed.

Sorry, this isn't directed at you, but at my frustration with folk who think there is a magic answer and our manager is a mug to not see it. Here goes:

Yesterday it was raining so today I wore a raincoat and it didn't rain. What's that all about?

The way football works is you have your best eleven and play them every game.

You only change a line up when someone fall short in a game. To punish them. Or falls ill. Also to punish them (Shankley style)

You never pick a team for the job of the day. Always the same. Like in 1976.

And you NEVER EVER trust the manager. Never. Fact.

At the end of the day, the only people who know anything about football are the fans.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here