Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The way I see it with Alireza, is just as the more sensible posters weren't getting too down on him whilst not performing, we shouldn't be getting too carried away now. He's not Messi and he won't be scoring overhead kicks every week.

What we have is a genuine contender to improve our team. He has made a strong claim for a run in the team in that right forward position and personally, I'd be starting him whilst he has got this renewed belief. But other players, such as Gross, Connolly have also made strong claims at some point this season. We'll also have March and maybe even Izquierdo back soon. If we sign a new striker In January, at the moment, Jahanbaksh is the most likely the make way. He will know that there is a possibility that Tau and/or MacAllister will be joining the squad in the summer.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ali was thinking along the lines of "my reputation is redeemed, so this is actually a really good time to get a move", probably to Italy or Germany

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If we sign a new striker In January, at the moment, Jahanbaksh is the most likely the make way. He will know that there is a possibility that Tau and/or MacAllister will be joining the squad in the summer.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ali was thinking along the lines of "my reputation is redeemed, so this is actually a really good time to get a move", probably to Italy or Germany

1) Jahanbaksh isn't a striker. Murray more likely to 'make way'.
2) Do you *really* believe that Ali J somehow managed to convinced Potter to play him and then suddenly pulled these last 2 performances out of nowhere?

Behave yourself

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Most of the fans (a few more of the remaining haters probably switched sides yesterday), the rest of the squad and most importantly Potter..........

Who hated him, and why?

A fair few, including me, said he didn't look very good. That's because he didn't look very good - he really didn't. I can't speak for others, but that didn't mean I wished ill towards him. I wanted him to show why we splashed the cash on each of his rare cameos. As I keep saying, it's not in my interests as an Albion fan for us to buy expensive duds.

Some kept saying "he should be given a chance" ignoring the fact his chance came in training, every single day, and for whatever reason, Potter and his team did not see enough in his training to play him. When it came to many match day squads, he didn't even make the 18.

We'll never know, but if Solly March had remained fit and/or Izquierdo wasn't seemingly injured forever, Ali J may have remained the outcast who "deserved a chance" but never got one, leaving the club quietly by the back door at some point or another.

But, eventually, Potter did put his trust in him, he thumped home that early goal against Bournemouth, his confidence visibly came flooding back, and it feels like we have an exciting new signing on our hands. The club leaked to Naylor that he was being sent out on loan this month - you can only assume those plans have been shelved now, right?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As said earlier at least now if/when that debate appears it won't be centered around "not even a footballer".

That was always a laughable viewpoint, and showed up quite a few - who have no doubt watched football for a long time - to have a surprisingly poor lack of judgment on a player's ability.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was always a laughable viewpoint, and showed up quite a few - who have no doubt watched football for a long time - to have a surprisingly poor lack of judgment on a player's ability.

You can add Schelotto to players who are apparently “not even a footballer”

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

Who hated him, and why?

A fair few, including me, said he didn't look very good. That's because he didn't look very good - he really didn't. I can't speak for others, but that didn't mean I wished ill towards him. I wanted him to show why we splashed the cash on each of his rare cameos. As I keep saying, it's not in my interests as an Albion fan for us to buy expensive duds.

Some kept saying "he should be given a chance" ignoring the fact his chance came in training, every single day, and for whatever reason, Potter and his team did not see enough in his training to play him. When it came to many match day squads, he didn't even make the 18.

We'll never know, but if Solly March had remained fit and/or Izquierdo wasn't seemingly injured forever, Ali J may have remained the outcast who "deserved a chance" but never got one, leaving the club quietly by the back door at some point or another.

But, eventually, Potter did put his trust in him, he thumped home that early goal against Bournemouth, his confidence visibly came flooding back, and it feels like we have an exciting new signing on our hands. The club leaked to Naylor that he was being sent out on loan this month - you can only assume those plans have been shelved now, right?

You know what I mean by ‘haters’.

I’d hope so.......he seems happy, settled and popular.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Who hated him, and why?

That’s not actually what you said though is it???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who hated him?

I don't think any (or many) actually hate him, although some of the vitriol towards one of our own has been frankly baffling.

And comments from some joking about how bad he was, were bizarre. He very obviously has had plenty of ability from day one, but by the end of being played diametrically opposite to his strengths by Hughton for a whole season, he confidence was completely shot. Even in games where he struggled he still showed plenty of glimmers of natural ability (one of our best players in the Man City semi final) - it was clear there was something worth persevering with, and Potter saw that.

The "doesn't even look like a footballer" brigade have been made to look very daft (to be fair they looked daft at the time also...), and anyone who made comments along these lines should just acknowledge and own it. Fortunately most seem to be doing so. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Oh boy am I #TeamElGreyhoundo

I just can't understand Albion fans who refuse to embrace the chaos.

Seeing him attacking just behind Bernado into the left hand side of the penalty area would have been my Christmas Highlight, were it not for more recent events.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The way I see it with Alireza, is just as the more sensible posters weren't getting too down on him whilst not performing, we shouldn't be getting too carried away now. He's not Messi and he won't be scoring overhead kicks every week.

What we have is a genuine contender to improve our team. He has made a strong claim for a run in the team in that right forward position and personally, I'd be starting him whilst he has got this renewed belief. But other players, such as Gross, Connolly have also made strong claims at some point this season. We'll also have March and maybe even Izquierdo back soon. If we sign a new striker In January, at the moment, Jahanbaksh is the most likely the make way. He will know that there is a possibility that Tau and/or MacAllister will be joining the squad in the summer.

That's not how it works in Potterball. Team selected to best beat the opposition, from the squad. Players rested as soon as possible to keep them fresh. We have two games a week most weeks from now on, so being rested, tactically withdrawn, or coming on as a second half sub will still give 18 players an average 90 minutes playing time each week.

I couldn't name my 'first eleven'. Only recently did I realise that in Potterball and the reality of the PL, there is no such thing.

As for your final point.....I have no sense of that at all. Why would he want away? He doesn't seem to be that sort of lad :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oh boy am I #TeamElGreyhoundo

I just can't understand Albion fans who refuse to embrace the chaos.

Seeing him attacking just behind Bernado into the left hand side of the penalty area would have been my Christmas Highlight, were it not for more recent events.

As Montoya struggled in the early part of the game I looked to see if the Greyhound was a sub, I was gutted he wasn’t. Montoya in fairness had a very good second half.

My New Year’s wish is to see Ali J, Bernardo and The Greyhound in a starting eleven :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, you don't need pace or strength to do that, you need technique. So he displayed the one thing I always said he had, and fair play to him.

Whilst I'm obviously not saying he's as good, you could say exactly the same about David Beckham. He didn't have pace or strength, but he tonnes of technique. He did alright, as I recall.

There is more than one type of wide player.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That’s not actually what you said though is it???

I don't know - you tell me. It's certainly what I thought.

I'm sure trying to score points against strangers on the internet is satisfying, but once you've finished with that, I'd be interested to hear your views on why Potter kept him outside the squad for so long - he wasn't in the 18 as recently as the 5th December against Arsenal, why the club leaked that he was being sent out on loan this month and why Naylor described him as "a rare stain on Brighton's overall recruitment record".

What changed?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

He has a ludicrous technique, generally poor first touch (by PL standards) and odd running gait, hence why some would perhaps suggest he doesn't always "look" like a footballer, but he definitely has attributes that suit the right sort of game.

He's very dangerous going forward, but does struggle sometimes with positional discipline.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Who hated him, and why?

All of this. Until a week ago his record was 0 goals, 0 assists and no starts in the team all season. It's revisionist to suddenly suggest the situation was anything else and there's a big difference between pointing this out and "hating" the bloke. He's our player, I want him to do well. Up to the Christmas miracle he hasn't. Now he has. It's all good isn't it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's not how it works in Potterball. Team selected to best beat the opposition, from the squad. Players rested as soon as possible to keep them fresh. We have two games a week most weeks from now on, so being rested, tactically withdrawn, or coming on as a second half sub will still give 18 players an average 90 minutes playing time each week.

I couldn't name my 'first eleven'. Only recently did I realise that in Potterball and the reality of the PL, there is no such thing.

As for your final point.....I have no sense of that at all. Why would he want away? He doesn't seem to be that sort of lad :shrug:

Was interested to read we’ve also had 5 different substitute scorers this season.......more than any other club. Potter magic ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All of this. Until a week ago his record was 0 goals, 0 assists and no starts in the team all season. It's revisionist to suddenly suggest the situation was anything else and there's a big difference between pointing this out and "hating" the bloke. He's our player, I want him to do well. Up to the Christmas miracle he hasn't. Now he has. It's all good isn't it?

The only "hater", and I use the term loosely, is surely Potter who wouldn't put him in a Premier League 18, even when two of the club's other wide players were crocked and unavailable.

I'd suggest that Ali's Premier League chance may have only come due to the ridiculous sequence of Christmas fixtures and the need for fresh legs. He grasped that opportunity in the most spectacular way possible, likely causing the club to scrap plans to palm him off elsewhere, and giving Potter a nice selection headache when March returns.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was interested to read we’ve also had 5 different substitute scorers this season.......more than any other club. Potter magic ?

I think it was mentioned in the BT Sport commentary that only Liverpool have had more different scorers than us this season, which is an interesting stat given we often discuss the need for more players to chip in with goals.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it was mentioned in the BT Sport commentary that only Liverpool have had more different scorers than us this season, which is an interesting stat given we often discuss the need for more players to chip in with goals.

A lot healthier than relying on Murray................or Dunk as we did in that partcularly dreadful season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here