Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can't agree with this. Felt his technical quality was completely evident and said so on here plenty of times last season. In amongst his low confidence and general bafflement and frustration at being completely misused, there were still plenty of glimpses of a genuine quality player in there.

I was honestly really surprised more people couldn't see it.

As I've saiid before you can't play PL football without basic technique. Look at how Propper shakes off opponents despite being similarly paced, Gross Cruyff turns them with even less pace or the take down by BDB at Man City that earned applause from their team. He showed literally none of that last season,

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

You can add Schelotto to players who are apparently ā€œnot even a footballerā€

That remains heavily debatable particularly from a defending perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

Wasnā€™t the recurring criticism of Schelotto; brilliant going forward, canā€™t defend?

That remains nothing has changed

Edit - sorry effectively repeating the above.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He showed literally none of that last season,

I respectfully disagree. I can't be arsed but if I could I'd show you posts from last season where I said so.

You could probably produce a 2-3 min from the Man City game alone showing him doing all those little things that a PL-quality player does. His end product was admittedly woeful a lot of the time, and his effectiveness was low. But his ability was never in doubt for me, and that's the point being made, in response to those who thought he was "gash". He clearly, clearly wasn't.

Being played woefully out of position in a new league, in a new country, and being asked to rely on attributes that are not your strong points, in a team that is getting poorer and poorer, that would knock most players.

This video is a good example of how two people could view the same performances differently;

[yt]OIRBCtdF1lc[/yt]

This looks to me like a clearly talented player who is low on confidence - things not quite coming off at all times, but glimmers of real quality. Not a shit player with average level of confidence. Obviously you saw it differently.

And that's fine.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I remember rightly the only counterpoint I offered to that was 'we're allowed to have more than 11 good players'.

I was as amazed as everybody to see Ali start.
It made absolutely no sense as he was sure to get injured and we'd be 'stuck with him', instead of his imminent loan deal.

Seemingly GP had Ali and Murray fighting out for the last spot on the bench.
Had Bournemouth gone how many expected, I'm sure Murray would have been back and yesterday wouldn't have happened.

Such are the fine margins at this level.

Hindsight would suggest there's been a fair few games, this season, that could have been improved by Ali keeping the pitch wide, instead of the team narrowing it.

I, and I doubt anyone else, was calling for him in the aftermath of those games.
But he's now another string to the bow.

AND he can cross a ball along the ground which is exactly what our dwarf forward line needs :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
As I've saiid before you can't play PL football without basic technique. Look at how Propper shakes off opponents despite being similarly paced, Gross Cruyff turns them with even less pace or the take down by BDB at Man City that earned applause from their team. He showed literally none of that last season,

Of course he didnā€™t he was played as a defender. He hasnā€™t got great pace so he was never going to pick the ball up and run the length of the pitch with it. If you are saying Ali J is a shit defender I would agree 100%. As has been said by some on here he needs to be played in a team that shows intent to attack and not in a team where itā€™s all about players behind the ball and relying on a break. He is a creator not a destroyer and I would suggest Potterball suits his attributes perfectly. Time will tell.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course he didnā€™t he was played as a defender. He hasnā€™t got great pace so he was never going to pick the ball up and run the length of the pitch with it. If you are saying Ali J is a shit defender I would agree 100%. As has been said by some on here he needs to be played in a team that shows intent to attack and not in a team where itā€™s all about players behind the ball and relying on a break. He is a creator not a destroyer and I would suggest Potterball suits his attributed perfectly. Time will tell.

Well put. I don't think anyone here has made out he is a brilliant defensive midfielder on his wrong side. Yet that was the position he was played for the vast majority of last season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Of course he didnā€™t he was played as a defender. He hasnā€™t got great pace so he was never going to pick the ball up and run the length of the pitch with it. If you are saying Ali J is a shit defender I would agree 100%. As has been said by some on here he needs to be played in a team that shows intent to attack and not in a team where itā€™s all about players behind the ball and relying on a break. He is a creator not a destroyer

But even now you need both.

The main reason Burn looked so poor whilst he was on the pitch yesterday was that neither Alzate or Trossard (depending on who was on that side) tracked back.

AJ (any player) still needs to work for the team, whether itā€™s Hughton or Potter.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

The main reason Burn looked so poor whilst he was on the pitch yesterday was that neither Alzate or Trossard (depending on who was on that side) tracked back.

AJ (any player) still needs to work for the team, whether itā€™s Hughton or Potter.

Yeah but as an attacker who needs to defend rather than a defender who has to sprint up the pitch with virtually no support when he gets there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well put. I don't think anyone here has made out he is a brilliant defensive midfielder on his wrong side. Yet that was the position he was played for the vast majority of last season.
Or inside forward Ali isn't an out and out pacing winger...

...and yet.

He may well be a very square peg that only fits in very square holes.
Which in itself doesn't seem to fit well with Potter's fluid approach.

But when he does fit, on the end of Dunk's passes, driving into the box and putting in productive crosses he's everything and more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That was so glaringly obvious even I spotted it.
Alzate gave BDB no help at all.

His start off point was 10 yards in field, he could have mitigated most of the trouble just by being a body nearer the touchline.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Or inside forward Ali isn't an out and out pacing winger...

...and yet.

He may well be a very square peg that only fits in very square holes.
Which in itself doesn't seem to fit well with Potter's fluid approach.

But when he does fit, on the end of Dunk's passes, driving into the box and putting in productive crosses he's everything and more.

Quite. I could see us using him in a similar way to Schelotto - ie against particular sides, when we're looking to use a particular set of tactics.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Blimey, there's alot of people who knew he would come good all of a sudden :lolol:

I was fairly confident that he wasn't cut out for this league I'll be honest, as always delighted to be proved wrong on the basis of recent performances.

He has built himself a platform now to push on and prove he can consistently do it without necessarily having to produce bicycle kicks every game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Of course he didnā€™t he was played as a defender. He hasnā€™t got great pace so he was never going to pick the ball up and run the length of the pitch with it. If you are saying Ali J is a shit defender I would agree 100%. As has been said by some on here he needs to be played in a team that shows intent to attack and not in a team where itā€™s all about players behind the ball and relying on a break. He is a creator not a destroyer and I would suggest Potterball suits his attributes perfectly. Time will tell.

A DEFENDER? :lolol:

I will accept that there was a game or two at wingback which was certainly not Hughton's finest hour, but most of the time Bong was left back and either Montoya or Bruno right back. He was simply asked to track back in a system that demanded it. And we saw how that worked out - terribly. In the end the fans and players both hated it and we nearly went down. But defender is pushing it. And, as per the discussion on the ridiculous Beckham comparison the very best players have a work rate that allow them to do that anyway.

But if we put that to one side then Potterball has been a thing since June last year. He spent most of that time unable to force his way in to the squad of 18, despite being perfectly fit, I don't think any of you, Stat or Mellotron have explained that away at all.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
the ridiculous Beckham comparison the very best players have a work rate that allow them to do that anyway

:facepalm:

Seriously? You're being wilfully disingenuous here. You said he hasn't got pace or strength, but has good technique. I then VERY CLEARLY stated I wasn't suggesting he was as good, but that you could say the same sentence about Beckham. Which is 100% true. Nothing more, nothing less.

You then - strangely - extrapolated a whole load of other stuff that I didn't say, and used that straw man to explain why what I said was wrong, despite me not even saying it.

Quite an impressive level of mental gymnastics, I must say.

Re: him not starting the first half of the season, again I think you (and others) keep overlooking the mental side of things, and how incredibly fragile his confidence must've been come the end of last season.

He was being played on his wrong side, in a mostly defensive role (you seem to be remembering Hughton's Brighton in 18/19 VERY differently to me! :lol:), in a new league, in a new country, in a side that was getting poorer and poorer - and becoming more and more defensive as it did so.

You keep seeming to ignore this because it doesn't suit your argument.

His personality, the strengths he had built his career around as a footballer in Holland had been completely ****ed over last season.

Potter took the time a good manager takes to get him back towards the player we are now starting to see. Nothing more sinister than that. Not exactly shocking that he needed a bit of time to re-find the player he actually was.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Happy to hold hands up and say I was on of the ones that had called this bloke a flop and useless.

Honestly couldnt see a player in there at all.

Happy to be proved wrong the last 2 games.

Long may it continue

Fair play to him

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I will accept that there was a game or two at wingback which was certainly not Hughton's finest hour, but most of the time Bong was left back and either Montoya or Bruno right back. He was simply asked to track back in a system that demanded it. And we saw how that worked out - terribly. In the end the fans and players both hated it and we nearly went down. But defender is pushing it. And, as per the discussion on the ridiculous Beckham comparison the very best players have a work rate that allow them to do that anyway.

But if we put that to one side then Potterball has been a thing since June last year. He spent most of that time unable to force his way in to the squad of 18, despite being perfectly fit, I don't think any of you, Stat or Mellotron have explained that away at all.

Right, so because heā€™s only just got into the team he must be a shit player who got lucky because of injuries and rotation. OK then :rolleyes:

Much easier to question why he hasnā€™t played much than to accept that, just maybe, you and the other pisstaking mods have been made to look like right fecking mugs over the last couple of games :lolol:

Am I enjoying this? Yes, yes I am! Childish, isnā€™t it? :smile:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I keep repeatedly explaining it.

He's basically playing in Gross' position and isn't as good as Gross, because the team is allowed to have more than 11 good players.

Obviously, like everybody else I will concede I had no idea 'this' was going to happen.
I'll hazard a guess neither did GP or else it would have happened sooner.

But he's a player plenty good enough to do what he's done, he just needed everything to finally fall his way and thankfully he caught it.

I've just looked at his heatmap v Bournemouth.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1376283/Live/England-Premier-League-2019-2020-Brighton-Bournemouth

It has a striking similarity to his prolific AZ heat map which means it is the complete opposite of how and where he was asked to play, last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here