Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alejandro Gomes Rodriquez

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
But some are unable to step up against higher quality opposition e.g. Knockaert, Mark Ramprakash, Maupay, Ted McDougall, CMS, Graeme Hick.

Maupay has scored against Arsenal, City, United, Spurs... Granted, he doesn't score for fun against these teams, but who does? Knocky was a phenomenal Championship player. He wasn't able to do it at the top level but does that make him a flat track bully or is it just that the Champ/lower PL was his level?

NB. Had it not been for off pitch issues, I think AK could have been more successful with us in the prem.

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
It’s a cricket derived term, that works much better in that sport than in any other context.

A batsman, who on a good wicket, facing mediocre bowlers repeatedly racks up tons of runs - but who can’t do the same when conditions are less stacked in their favour.

Perennially levelled at Graeme Hick, who’d follow up a record breaking 405 at Taunton, with a pair of failures against the Windies quickies.
Hick is the example I always think of when the term is used

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Maupay has scored against Arsenal, City, United, Spurs... Granted, he doesn't score for fun against these teams, but who does? Knocky was a phenomenal Championship player. He wasn't able to do it at the top level but does that make him a flat track bully or is it just that the Champ/lower PL was his level?

NB. Had it not been for off pitch issues, I think AK could have been more successful with us in the prem.
Surely, a player who tears up the championship to the extent that he was championship POTY but doesn't deliver in the prem is the very (football) definition of a flat track bully? In mitigation, I agree that his father's passing appeared to have quite an effect on his performances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here