Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums which were dismissed upon release, but time has turned them into classics.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Neutral Milk Hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea.

Not much recognition on its release, frequently rated as one of the greatest albums in polls these days.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
The stone Roses debut.

When released in early 1989 (although I think it got a 7 or 8 in NME) was dismissed as retro byrds type jingly jangly rubbish, and they were playing to no one in student union bars (I know I was there). By the end of the year they were selling out the ally pally.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll throw this one out there:

Jane's Addiction: Ritual De Lo Habitual

Always quite liked em myself but they've stayed cult haven't they? Perhaps more critically acclaimed than they were at the time though, granted.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Good shout regarding Dexy's. Their third album, name escapes me, was panned by everyone upon release but is now seen in a very different light.

As an aside Kevin Rowland once asked my wife on a date. She still has the hand written note he gave her. Suffice to say it was a long long time ago, and she turned him down. It's nice to know I rest somewhere between Nick Cave and Kevin Rowland in my wife's affections.

Dexy's third album was Dont Stand me down. Great album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dexy's third album was Dont Stand me down. Great album.

That's the baby. I got it on CD a good few years back. I agree it is good. I should dig it out and give it another few whirls. I recall I bought it the day we played Middlesboro in the cup. I'd read about it being panned when it came out but was now a gem and critically acclaimed....I was intrigued.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
What was the critical reception like for Psychocandy - Jesus and Mary Chain? Surely there must have been a fair amount of negativity?

It was hailed as a classic by the music press, which it is...

As has been pointed out, Gang of Four's Entertainment is one of the best albums ever released, but it's not exactly a previously ignored nugget!

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
GOF were invited onto top of the pops, but their influence in the states (Chillis, Janes Addiction, REM, Black Flag) is much broader than the new wave of franz soundalikes a few years back in the uk
My big bro was at the Mary Chain riot at the ICA- the millwall supporting thug lol
Dog Man Star is a fantastic shout- suede never made it onto my ipod, but I need to dig this out again

We are paintermen by the creation is an awesome 60's garage rock long player, not even available originally in the uk but massively influential. I would be interested to know if their version of Hey Joe predates Hendrix'

Is Neds Atomic Dustbin's Godfodder also due a critical reappraisal?

The Offspring

Resident Guitar Shredder
Jul 8, 2004
Hants/Wilts Border
I'll throw this one out there:

Jane's Addiction: Ritual De Lo Habitual

Cannot agree on this one Simster, had rave reviews in Kerrang and Metal Hammer and sold well from the start, it was "Nothing's Shocking" that struggled in its first year.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It all depends on who you think dismissed them (a lot of critically acclaimed stuff has always sunk without trace with general public) and how you define a 'classic'?

Music for Airports by Brian Eno probably got a lot of critical acclaim back in 1978, it certainly had no commercial success but arguably started a whole genre of music (Ambient) so how can you get more' classic' than that?

As an aside while I love it my wife walks out of the room when I put it on:lol:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've taken this thread to mean critically dismissed rather than commercially. If it was commercially the thread would be endless as musical integrity and sales very rarely go hand in hand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've taken this thread to mean critically dismissed rather than commercially. If it was commercially the thread would be endless as musical integrity and sales very rarely go hand in hand.

Yes, you are correct. I meant critically dismissed. I dug out Paul's Boutique and whilst playing it remembered that it baffled and confused fans and critics at the time of release. Years later I've often seen and heard it mentioned as influential and seminal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pixies - doolittle/ surfer Rosa.

Disagree I'm afraid. Especially Doolittle. This long player had heaps of praise upon release and was heard everywhere I went on university campus when it was released.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yes, you are correct. I meant critically dismissed. I dug out Paul's Boutique and whilst playing it remembered that it baffled and confused fans and critics at the time of release. Years later I've often seen and heard it mentioned as influential and seminal.

Would be interesting (although probably difficult) to find stuff critics back in the 70s/80s/90s absolutely loved, sank without trace & is still unlistenable today!

Would be interesting (although probably difficult) to find stuff critics back in the 70s/80s/90s absolutely loved, sank without trace & is still unlistenable today!

Quite often critics 'adopt' a band and laud over them, and heap praises on their latest records regardless
Then you find out it's crap, and realise you just got them into the charts without their record being any better than an ashtray.

Led Zep - 'Presence' ???

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Quite often critics 'adopt' a band and laud over them, and heap praises on their latest records regardless
Then you find out it's crap, and realise you just got them into the charts without their record being any better than an ashtray.

Led Zep - 'Presence' ???

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

OUCH - I quite liked some of the stuff on 'Presence' - miles better than that final abortion 'In Through the Out Door' - not a single track worthy of their previous work...

Can't disagree with The Final Cut, actually don't rate any Floyd post 'Animals' - another thread might be devoted to 'Artists who were brilliant and then slowly became crap' - one David Bowie comes to mind....

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' getting some pretty lukewarm reviews when it came out. Same with 'Give em Enough Rope' by the Clash.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things - the world's first rock opera / concept album. Ignored in the late sixties - probably worth three figures now (and the first figure might not be a '1'.........)

S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things - the world's first rock opera / concept album. Ignored in the late sixties - probably worth three figures now (and the first figure might not be a '1'.........)

I'm happy to have an original in top shape - it's also a 'grower', as you appreciate the album more and more over time.
Many 60's albums are like that, it's a matter of seeking out the real gems from an era that was dominated by pop, while an underground current of psychedelic rock was strong.

[yt]2B0vCK1f9WU[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here