Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums which were dismissed upon release, but time has turned them into classics.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
NME and Q were both not too impresssed originally although a few years later Q gave it a rather different review when it was voted as one of their top ten all time albums.
That's not true though. NME were reasonably impressed, and I only know this because I used to buy NME weekly in the early 90s.

Edit: just checked on-line - they gave it 7/10 at the time which is a fairly good score. Rolling Stone magazine gave it 4/5.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
interpol's turn on the bright lights was pretty much ignored upon release- wasn't it voted as being the best album ever the other week (or something)?

One of the best albums of all time. In my top 3.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well I certainly credit it with being the start of the killers turning into a slushy, bland pop group and flowers in particular turning into a sell out, Robbie Williams type pop singer.

In fact the same route was taken by Williams himself.....

Eh? Hot Fuzz is TEN times more "poppy" than Sam's Town!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good shout, although I'm not sure about it being not understood. However, it was well ahead of its time and even now doesn't feel that dated. Unfinished Sympathy remains an all-time classic track.

Really? I think the cheesy 90s drum beat has dated that a lot more than, say, Angel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream

Men at Work - Business as Usual

Dexys - Searching for the Young Soul Rebel

Japan - Quiet Life

Good shout regarding Dexy's. Their third album, name escapes me, was panned by everyone upon release but is now seen in a very different light.

As an aside Kevin Rowland once asked my wife on a date. She still has the hand written note he gave her. Suffice to say it was a long long time ago, and she turned him down. It's nice to know I rest somewhere between Nick Cave and Kevin Rowland in my wife's affections.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I really like Queens first album which was largely ignored on release.

Unbelievable listening to it that the same band would knock out such nonsense like "The Invisible Man" years later.

[yt]bJGR7FjAbS4[/yt]

Agree. First thing I ever heard by Queen was the brilliant track off this album, 'Liar', on the Old Grey Whistle Test, then 'Seven Seas of Rhye' on Top of the Pops. Absoluely loved them in their early days, up until Bohemian Rhapsody; thereafter, an awful descent into pomp/stadium rock. Commercal success, yes, but artisically shite in the 1980s (although their final album before Freddie's tragic death, Innuendo, was actually rather good)

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Outlandos d'Amour, The Police

The single Roxanne needed to be released twice before it became a hit

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes very good album.

Indeed, one of my faves of all time, but unlistenable all in one go - musically and lyrically harrowing (songs about anoerexia, Auschwitz/genocide, etc); makes Joy Division sound like Beyonce !!!

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hunky Dory by David Bowie was not actually dismissed but was only a minor hit initially

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Was about to suggest the Velvet Underground & Nico, so agree

The three orginal albums by NEU! and a number of albums by Can

The first five Black Sabbath albums, espcially Paranoid and Volume Four - far to noisy and heavy for jazz/prog oriented critics in the early 70's

I believe a lot of critics didn't "get" the Led Zeppelin albums on first release either

Black Sabbath Vol.4 - has always been under-rated. My favourite Sabbath album, and opens with one of my all-time favourite tracks, 'Wheels of Confusion', with the brilliant/tragic lyrics of the final verse: 'So I found that life is just a game, but you know there's never been a winner. Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser. The world will still be turning when you're gone. You're dead and gone.' This sung over a brilliant, but dirge-like, Tony Iommi riff is fantastic!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
With much respect to Mr Heavy Soul of this parish, 'Village Green' and 'Oracle' carried me across the South Downs a little while back, on continuous loop - absolutely marvellous stuff.

My own contribution to the debate would be Scott Walker's eponymous Scott 1, 2, 3 & 4 albums of the mid to late 60s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here