Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums which were dismissed upon release, but time has turned them into classics.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
What's the Story, Morning Glory got tepid reviews when it was released but is now considered Oasis' best album.
Really? I remember no-one dare having anything other than fulsome praise for it. Oasis were the biggest band in the country just after it came out.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really? I remember no-one dare having anything other than fulsome praise for it. Oasis were the biggest band in the country just after it came out.

Totally agree. In fact, I'd say Morning Glory is a good example of the opposite - an album that got lavish praise when it came out and has lost a lot of its allure since then. I would say that Definitely Maybe is more generally regarded as Oasis's best album now.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
It's all subjective, but for me Dirk wears White sox by Adam and the ants was nowhere near as big as the pop albums that came after, but still love to listen to it with some classic tracks. Not sure how it is generally regarded though. Never trust a man with egg on his face ..

It's all subjective, but for me Dirk wears White sox by Adam and the ants was nowhere near as big as the pop albums that came after, but still love to listen to it with some classic tracks. Not sure how it is generally regarded though. Never trust a man with egg on his face ..

one of my all time favourite albums, quite spooky really as only last night Dont Be Square (Be There) (From Kings Of The Wild Frontier) popped up on my pod and was thinking that (without the intro) It was the only one that sounded anything like anything from DWWS although the albums were only 2 years apart.

Back to the original question, I'll suggest any of Sparks albums from the early 70's My favourites are Woofer and Halfnelson, although Kimono and Propaganda seem to have a lot of followers these days

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well I certainly credit it with being the start of the killers turning into a slushy, bland pop group and flowers in particular turning into a sell out, Robbie Williams type pop singer.

In fact the same route was taken by Williams himself.....
Agreed. Sam's Town was total crap IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good shout. Flabby, indulgent and ramshackle upon release. Whilst I do not consider it a classic it has certainly gained a acclaim over time. In fact I'm going to listen to this album today.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Definitely go with Velvet Underground & Nico. Got this originally about a year after release, on import. I first heard Heroin played on a late night radio station and it just flew in the eye of all the stuff I was into at the time (early JA and the Dead etc). I was forever bandying the album around to my mates to very lukewarm response! Around 1970 it was covered in a rock mag called Cream, and was already being talked up as a classic, but the VU albums in my view never really took off until Lou Reeds solo career had started, this immediately gave rise to the interest in the VU. Of course they were already well known for sure, but that particular debut album has never looked back since then. I still play it a lot

A famous quote, is that although hardly anyone bought this debut album, everyone who did started a band

Last edited:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Blue Lines - Massive Attack. No-one understood it at all. Until a whole 10 years later.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Village Green

The Kinks - Village green preservation society.

Released in 1968 when flower power & all that hippy shit was at its peak. The most underated songwriter of all time was dismissed for singing about Village greens, sherlock holmes & draught beer.

An absolutely great album, originals of which are highly valued. I still have my copy, although I have since bought it on CD. Ray Davies - a legend, esp for the line "I like my football on a Saturday.............." on Autumn Almanac.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream

Men at Work - Business as Usual

Dexys - Searching for the Young Soul Rebel

Japan - Quiet Life

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

NME and Q were both not too impresssed originally although a few years later Q gave it a rather different review when it was voted as one of their top ten all time albums.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Blue Lines - Massive Attack. No-one understood it at all. Until a whole 10 years later.
Good shout, although I'm not sure about it being not understood. However, it was well ahead of its time and even now doesn't feel that dated. Unfinished Sympathy remains an all-time classic track.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Crowded House - Woodface.

Virtually ignored upon release over here. Once Fall at your Feet was a hit, they were in the media and charts almost non-stop for the following five years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle

That is an excellent call although I'm not sure it's not still just a cult album. I think the band were so disillusioned with the reception the album received and each other that they broke up just after it was released?

I still listen to it occasionally and it certainly stands the test of time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here