Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2024

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
For some reason couldn't find this thread last month but an album from this list I want to highlight.

Knocked Loose - You Won't Go Before You're Supposed To

Unbelievable album, one of my favourite albums of the past few years for both how heavy and well crafted it is.

From the opener to the ending chords of Sit and Mourn there's a clear vision laid out including songs blending into one another.

Every guitar note sounds like a bomb going off whilst Byran Garris' vocals remain as unique as ever, pummeling out some incredibly deep lyrics.

They drew a lot of praise for their set at Coachella last year for good reason, they're absolute masters of the Hardcore genre.

"Hardcore punk doesn’t get much more hardcore than the hellacious noise whipped up by the Kentucky five-piece on this landmark for the genre. There are high-speed headbangers but also remarkable range here, from reggaeton breakdowns to blackgaze ballads; frontman Bryan Garris yelps like a man running from an evil ghost barefoot across a field of Lego"

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For some reason couldn't find this thread last month but an album from this list I want to highlight.

Unbelievable album, one of my favourite albums of the past few years for both how heavy and well crafted it is.

From the opener to the ending chords of Sit and Mourn there's a clear vision laid out including songs blending into one another.

Every guitar note sounds like a bomb going off whilst Byran Garris' vocals remain as unique as ever, pummeling out some incredibly deep lyrics.

They drew a lot of praise for their set at Coachella last year for good reason, they're absolute masters of the Hardcore genre.

"Hardcore punk doesn’t get much more hardcore than the hellacious noise whipped up by the Kentucky five-piece on this landmark for the genre. There are high-speed headbangers but also remarkable range here, from reggaeton breakdowns to blackgaze ballads; frontman Bryan Garris yelps like a man running from an evil ghost barefoot across a field of Lego"

I really didn't get too far into that. I'm getting old. @Herr Tubthumper likes to hang out with the kids, and likes metal: what say you?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had a look at that yesterday. I listen to very little new stuff these days, but Shabaka and Beth Gibbons are both quite brilliant albums that I keep on playing. The Smile is good, but not that good. Which of the others are you rating?
From that list the only albums I have heard/own are Shabaka, The Smile and Thou. Thou is quite something but it’s metal so not to everyone’s taste. I got sent it as part of my Sacred Bones subscription, it’s a Guardian 5/5 album.

I will give St Vincent, Beth Gibbon, Waxahatchee and Kamazi a sPin today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

I’m obviously well out of touch these days, but hardcore punk this lot is not. Far too metally in tone and vocals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

f*** me....this is BRUTAL!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m obviously well out of touch these days, but hardcore punk this lot is not. Far too metally in tone and vocals.
There's definetely extreme metal influences in this new album. I know nothing about them, apart from this new album, but maybe the band is rooted in hardcore punk?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
From that list the only albums I have heard/own are Shabaka, The Smile and Thou. Thou is quite something but it’s metal so not to everyone’s taste. I got sent it as part of my Sacred Bones subscription, it’s a Guardian 5/5 album.

I will give St Vincent, Beth Gibbon, Waxahatchee and Kamazi a sPin today.
I will give Thou a go, although I really didn't get too many seconds through Knocked Loose before turning it off.
Of the others you've listed, I haven't heard St Vincent or Waxahatchee yet, but like both of them so will also check them out. Beth Gibbons is utterly stunning, there's also a c30 minute set on iPlayer which is worth checking out too.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
They're not hardcore punk, they're just hardcore. The guardian writer made a bit of a mistake.

They're a band that sort of mixes between genres, mainly being a hardcore band but also metalcore (metal + hardcore) and deathcore (metalcore but with more death metal elements).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They're not hardcore punk, they're just hardcore. The guardian writer made a bit of a mistake.

They're a band that sort of mixes between genres, mainly being a hardcore band but also metalcore (metal + hardcore) and deathcore (metalcore but with more death metal elements).
Have you heard the Thou album?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
f*** me....this is BRUTAL!
It's an unbelievably heavy yet well put together album. Absolute masterpiece from start to finish.

It follows on from perhaps the best two single releases I've ever heard, Deep in the Willow and Everything is Quiet Now.

They also have form for albums exploring a theme over the course of it, with their album A Tear in the Fabric of Life exploring the stages of grief after a traumatic event, an album that's worth a listen in it's entirety. It even has a full animated movie for the whole album

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just into my second spin of >>>> by Beak>
It's tremendous. Weirdtastic.
Agree. Love the opener especially when the deep squelchy thing comes in , and the track which is a very obvious nod to Can.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Outside of what seems to be a never ending string of great Hip-Hop releases this year I’ve also really been enjoying When You Going To Tell ‘Em The Truth, Aaron? by Milo Korbenski.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here