Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2024

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Absolutely loving the debut BERWYN album, WHO AM I. I was struggling to succinctly sum the album up thankfully the strap line on The Guardians (5*) review did a better job than I could have -

With devastating directness, the Trinidad-born London artist depicts his struggles with UK immigration, fusing visceral poetry, dark humour and a crackling R&B croon

Looking forward to the Bashy album too when I get around to it. An often forgotten cornerstone of those early UK Hip-Hop glory days.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
From that list the only albums I have heard/own are Shabaka, The Smile and Thou. Thou is quite something but it’s metal so not to everyone’s taste. I got sent it as part of my Sacred Bones subscription, it’s a Guardian 5/5 album.

I will give St Vincent, Beth Gibbon, Waxahatchee and Kamazi a sPin today.
For me, Waxahatchee is OK, but it's yet another cracker from St Vincent. What a talent.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Absolutely loving the debut BERWYN album, WHO AM I. I was struggling to succinctly sum the album up thankfully the strap line on The Guardians (5*) review did a better job than I could have -

With devastating directness, the Trinidad-born London artist depicts his struggles with UK immigration, fusing visceral poetry, dark humour and a crackling R&B croon

Looking forward to the Bashy album too when I get around to it. An often forgotten cornerstone of those early UK Hip-Hop glory days.

The Bashy album is really good too, but that BERWYN album is growing on me more and more, proper album.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Picked up the new Joe Goddard and finally got the Fabiana Palladino record from Resident today. Lovely stuff

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Picked up the new Joe Goddard and finally got the Fabiana Palladino record from Resident today. Lovely stuff
Some really lovely summery house “push the sky” type songs on that Joe Goddard album, the second track Progress is a good example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm loving the new Crack Cloud long player. Took a few listens but it's a real grower. More chilled and introspecitive than their previous output, has hints of Gorillas more meloncholy moments, and still has hints of Big Audio Dynamite.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm loving the new Crack Cloud long player. Took a few listens but it's a real grower. More chilled and introspecitive than their previous output, has hints of Gorillas more meloncholy moments, and still has hints of Big Audio Dynamite.
Just gave this a whirl while I worked from home, decent album that, they're getting through albums at a rate of knots. Loved the final track.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just gave this a whirl while I worked from home, decent album that, they're getting through albums at a rate of knots. Loved the final track.
In a single word, beautiful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...as an aside I have got tickets to see them live. Last time I saw them they had 9 people on stage including a girl dressed as a cloud playing the harp. I think more people need to dress as clouds

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Did anyone else pick the Young Fathers x Maasive Attack x Fontaines DC record? One track is Young Fathers x Massive Attack and the other is Fontaines. Both incredible and two very good mixes on the b side, with Orbital remixing the Fontaines. Well worth it if you can get hold of a copy, all in aid of Doctors Without Borders.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been listening to the new Oh Sees long player. Another album with a very obvious Can influenced track, Beak>> being the other. Always a good thing in my mind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The new Uniform album is quite brutal. Quietus describe the sound as an 'industrial scrape' A very good discription. I have a ticket to see this performed live.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Returning to Chalk in Brighton in ….. June 25! Not sure why bands of this stature annunce tour dates so far in advance. Is it so they can plan their tour cash flow?
I imagine it’s to secure the resources (crew, buses etc) and the routing of venues they need. A friend is a tour manager and he’s said it’s been a nightmare the past few years as so many bands are touring, venues (in the sequence you need them) and buses etc are just not always available.

Given it’s June I have a suspicion the European festival circuit are also playing a part. You can get a good guaranteed run of weekend dates and headline your own shows inbetween. Very good financial option for small bands.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given it’s June I have a suspicion the European festival circuit are also playing a part. You can get a good guaranteed run of weekend dates and headline your own shows inbetween. Very good financial option for small bands and US bands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here