Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2024

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I imagine it’s to secure the resources (crew, buses etc) and the routing of venues they need. A friend is a tour manager and he’s said it’s been a nightmare the past few years as so many bands are touring, venues (in the sequence you need them) and buses etc are just not always available.

Given it’s June I have a suspicion the European festival circuit are also playing a part. You can get a good guaranteed run of weekend dates and headline your own shows inbetween. Very good financial option for small bands.
It certainly seems tough out there for touring bands below the stadium acts and I’ve read a few bands have had to cancel shows as the demand has not been there. I suppose my point was more why advertise it so early, but I presume if it sells out it makes no odds and the band know the tour will break even or turn a small a profit. I used to promote shows (many years ago) myself and it looks so much harder for promoters, bands and venues since brexit, Covid and Ukraine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It certainly seems tough out there for touring bands below the stadium acts and I’ve read a few bands have had to cancel shows as the demand has not been there. I suppose my point was more why advertise it so early, but I presume if it sells out it makes no odds and the band know the tour will break even or turn a small a profit. I used to promote shows (many years ago) myself and it looks so much harder for promoters, bands and venues since brexit, Covid and Ukraine.
I see what you mean. I guess if the date is booked might as well advertise it :shrug:

IIt does seem very tough. Like you, have also noticed a steadily increasing number of bands announcing and cancelling tours. Very sad. Something else to consider is the cost of touring has risen a lot given the general rise in cost-of-living and also due to demand on resources etc, and the public do not have as much money so they are also being more selective. This last point has led to a few bands I like touring but downsizing their venues. Crack Cloud announced their own headlining show at the 550 capacity Lido....this has now been moved to Berghain Kantine where they are piggy-backing onto a gig which was already booked there. Good for me as I see two-gigs-for-the-price-of-one but crap for the bands in question. It is tough. All we can do is carry on going to shows and buying stuff from them as directly as possible. Oh, and if you ever get a chance to meet a small artist just take a few seconds to thank them for what they do....they will really appreciate it.

Oh, and Live Nation are fully taking advantage of this situation and tying artists to long contracts where if you do not financially perform they will squeeze the pips out of you.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Being nosey, can I ask who and where you used to promote? Genuinly interested.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Being nosey, can I ask who and where you used to promote? Genuinly interested.
I managed a couple of smaller arts venues in Somerset and then in Merseyside. I would book touring bands of all genres but quite a bit of indie music as well as comedy, performing arts, etc.I promoted some gigs myself in Somerset but stopped when it started to lose money. This was in the late 80s to mid 90s until I moved onto other arts jobs and then a career change about 15 years ago. Good times in my 20’s but not well paid, and needed to change once kids started to appear!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I managed a couple of smaller arts venues in Somerset and then in Merseyside. I would book touring bands of all genres but quite a bit of indie music as well as comedy, performing arts, etc.I promoted some gigs myself in Somerset but stopped when it started to lose money. This was in the late 80s to mid 90s until I moved onto other arts jobs and then a career change about 15 years ago. Good times in my 20’s but not well paid, and needed to change once kids started to appear!
Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure if I have mentioned this before BUT I am loving the new Wand album....really dreamy jazzy west coast psych. They are a very underrated band and bunch of musicians imho.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bumper day for releases: Nick Cave, Jon Hopkins and Ty Segall 'drumming' album.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have been listening to the new Mount Kimbie album recently, really enjoy it, slept on it a bit at the time but its a belter.
Thanks for this tip. It's really good. Have to say that I don't get on with the first two songs and, on hearing them, thought you'd suggested a dud but, despite being short, the rest of it is extremely good.
Now off to give The Bug Club and Cave a spin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bumper day for releases: Nick Cave, Jon Hopkins and Ty Segall 'drumming' album.
After last week's bumper output, we have new long players from Suuns, Fat Dog and Molchat Doma today.

Currently listening to Suuns......

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For the more Classical minded, the mesmerising Max Richter has a new offering.....In a Landscape. Its rather lovely.

max-richter-in-a-landscape-cover.jpg

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
MJ Lenderman album is out today, and after a few listens its just as good as I was anticipating. So good I'm declaring it MJ Lenderman Autumn after the formal closure of Brat Summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here