Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion's next manager ***Discuss it here & vote***

Who should replace Steve Coppell? (3 votes)

• Bob Booker

Votes: 55 19.1%
  • Dean Wilkins

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Paul Merson

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Tony Adams

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 43 14.9%
  • Graham Rix

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Gary Johnson (Yeovil)

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Lawrie Sanchez

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Ian Dowie

Votes: 124 43.1%
  • Nigel Clough

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Joe Kinnear

Votes: 44 15.3%
  • Glen Hoddle

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Terry Burton (Watford Assist.)

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Liam Brady

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Danny Wilson (Bristol City)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Glen Roeder

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Jean Tigana

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Lou Macari

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Dave Merrington

• Steve McMahon

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Terry Connor (Wolves Assist.)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Stuart Pearce

• Brain Little

• Carlton Parmer

• Alan Cork

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Graham

• Andy Ritchie (Leeds Coach)

• John Gregory

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Keith Curle (Mansfield)

• Howard Wilkinson ( (Late addition to poll)

• Stuart Gray (Late addition to poll)

• Mark McGhee (Late addition to poll)

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • The Chuckle Brothers (will maintain Albions passing style...To Me..To You

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
My 3 were Booker (mainly for continuity), Cotterill (wouldn't play long ball because our strikers are tiny) and Dowie. Having said that Brian Little is probably a decent choice as well.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Dunkstar said:
I voted for Joe Kinnear but he won't take it!Cotteril is more likely at the mo i feel!

It looks like Cotterill is close to joining Tranmere though. I woudl have thought Kinnear would be intrested in the Brighton job. Very intrested. Another promotion would look very good on his CV.

SiNZ

Oct 2, 2003
Guinness Boy said:
No 1 choice - Joe Kinnear
No 2 - Dowie (though I really don't like the idea of us taking the moral high ground with Reading and then screwing Oldham).
No 3 - In some ways I'd love to see Booker given a go but he's almost too good as a number 2 if that makes any sense. Still the post match interviews would be supreme entertainment.

Pretty much matches my views too. Not so concerned about taking Oldham from Dowie. It's the way of the game and I'm not sure we can afford to take a unilateral moral stand. SC's contract is not the upsetting factor of his departure - more that it's another decent manager in quick succession gone and well, Readin FFS? Plus of course Dowie is not under contract.

Got to say that I know very little of Rix or the facts, as opposed to the hysteria, about his offence. Not too confident though, given the consensus view of his managerial talents.

Despite me continually asking whether Booker is even interested, he has now said that he is to prove me wrong. Would certainly (surely) not be the disaster that Hinsh and Wood were though. It is hard to go from being pally with people to being the boss and I would worry about that aspect. As caretaker in the short term, I'm convinced he'll do a great job.

Cotterill? Well I'm not sure the disloyalty factor is that major. It was very similar to how Micky left us - assistant at a Prem club. Micky did do some time with us though and left us immeasurably better off than when he arrived. Stoke cannot feel the same way.

I'd worry about Adams lack of experience. Having said that, Pearce would worry me less. But that's probably because I've just read a lot of his interviews and he comes across really well. Plus we like the same music ;-) Imagine Charlie psyching himself up to some hard punk before running out onto the pitch..... scarey! As for Merson.... good lord no.

Would have been okay with Hoddle several years ago. But I think he's lost his confidence and sense of proportion since leaving England. He's been pretty pants since then hasn't he? And he used to look so good..... bizarre?

I guess I don't have to guess who voted for Wilkins.. <sigh>.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I think Booker is best as a No.2 and would help the new manager settle in.

My vote goes to Dowie - we have got to get the best man for us however unfortunate that may be for Oldham fans.

Having said that, Cotterill was popular when he played for us, and did very well with Cheltenham, even if he does sound like a country bumkin! And I understand he has turned Tranmere down anyway.

Rix - definately no - he was no good at Pompey - if he was any good why hasn't he worked skince then, regardless of his conviction?

Adams and Merson are untried - anyone can do well with a club at the top unless they were spectacularly bad at the job - its next season when (not if) we go up that managerial qualities will be tested.

helga

Aug 8, 2003
My vote goes to Dowie. Did well at Oldham last year and given their problems this year has done well this season as well.

If not Dowie Andy Ritchie wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Anyone but Rix!!!

And just cos' I have to say this.....on the Coppell front, Helga told you so!!! :)

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Another hat into the ring.

John Ward has resigned from coach at Carlisle as he is interested in a coupleof managerial vacancies, Stockport, Tranmere etc...

Could do a hella of a lot worse than him.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Don't know enough about any of the names .... BUT

If Cotterill is a long-ball exponent we don't want him.

We need someone with good contacts at a high level to get us good loan players.

It would be nice to find someone who would be successful AND stay a while.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
7 pages and not one mention, unless I missed it.

Former Albion player, former premiership manager (twice, ok one may have been div 1 at that time) former member of the England set-up and I think, like cotteril is out of work with a point to prove.

Howard Wilkinson.

Jimbo

Aug 13, 2003
How about Zola as player manager....if he could oust Charlie from the first team!

The Cat in the Hat

Sep 10, 2003
Desert Orchid said:
Tranmere have narrowed their managerial shortlist down to just two candidates.

Former Aston Villa boss Brian Little and Steve Parkin are thought to head a list of names also including John Ward and Lou Macari.

Two candidates ??

Why four names????

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Tony Le Mesmer said:
Could do a hella of a lot worse than him.

....but lets hope not a lot worse !

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Lord Booker for first choice, is it time for the apprentice to become master. Or as I wished for a year ago Stuart Pearce. Who is with Keegan at City, and must have excelent links in the game.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
goldstone said:
We need someone with good contacts at a high level to get us good loan players.

It would be nice to find someone who would be successful AND stay a while.

Joe Kinnear is the man.

Adams would add some impetus to the squad though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here