Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion's next manager ***Discuss it here & vote***

Who should replace Steve Coppell? (3 votes)

• Bob Booker

Votes: 55 19.1%
  • Dean Wilkins

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Paul Merson

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Tony Adams

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 43 14.9%
  • Graham Rix

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Gary Johnson (Yeovil)

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Lawrie Sanchez

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Ian Dowie

Votes: 124 43.1%
  • Nigel Clough

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Joe Kinnear

Votes: 44 15.3%
  • Glen Hoddle

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Terry Burton (Watford Assist.)

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Liam Brady

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Danny Wilson (Bristol City)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Glen Roeder

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Jean Tigana

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Lou Macari

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Dave Merrington

• Steve McMahon

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Terry Connor (Wolves Assist.)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Stuart Pearce

• Brain Little

• Carlton Parmer

• Alan Cork

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Graham

• Andy Ritchie (Leeds Coach)

• John Gregory

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Keith Curle (Mansfield)

• Howard Wilkinson ( (Late addition to poll)

• Stuart Gray (Late addition to poll)

• Mark McGhee (Late addition to poll)

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • The Chuckle Brothers (will maintain Albions passing style...To Me..To You

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
1. Joe Kinnear
2. Steve Cotterill
3 Lou Macari

Dowie is doing a great job at Oldham but I don't think Dick will do the dirty on Oldham. It will be a manger out of work but with experience at this level. All three have good coaching and tactical credentials. Kinnear and Macari would have good contacts as well which is essental for us. Only thing stopping us is his wages, but if wants to get back in the game he'll have to accept wht we offer. Hope the new manager is given some of the compensation money to make a few signings though.

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
Just to clear up all the "kiddie fiddler" hysteria about Rix, here is a report of his conviction at the time. He had consensual sex in a hotel with a girl a few weeks short of her 16th birthday. That hardy makes him a pervert in my book - many 15 year olds look at least 18 - he was clearly in the wrong but was very unlucky to go to jail for it.

Having said that, I think he would be a poor choice of manager as I don't think he'd be any good. But talk of boycotting games if he were manager is complete crap. How would that be showing support for the team?

Friday, March 26, 1999 Published at 22:23 GMT

UK

Chelsea stands by Rix

Chelsea Football Club have says it will stand by coach Graham Rix, jailed on Friday for having sex with an underage girl.

"His job will be kept open and he will return to the position when he is released from prison. That is the wish of directors and staff of Chelsea. It is also the wish of [manager] Giannluca Viali and all the players of Chelsea," said Dennis Roach, Rix's agent.

Chelsea's chief executive, Colin Hutchinson, said that although the club disapproved of Rix's behaviour, his job would be kept open for him.

"Chelsea do not condone what Graham Rix did, but he is paying a very, very heavy price for one mistake and he will serve the sentence and the stigma will stay with him for the rest of his life," he said.

The Chelsea coach and former England star was been sentenced to a total of 12 months imprisonment for having unlawful sex with a 15-year-old girl and indecently assaulting her.

Rix, who was capped for England 17 times and is regarded as one of the country's top coaches, was sentenced at London's Knightsbridge Crown Court.

At an earlier hearing, Rix, a 41-year-old father of four, pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sex and a second charge of indecent assault.

Rix is believed to have met the girl and had sex with her at a west London hotel on the eve of Chelsea's Premiership match with Manchester United in February 1998.

'No alternative' to jail

Sentencing him, the judge told Rix that in the circumstances of the case, there was "no realistic alternative" to an immediate sentence of imprisonment.

However, he also said that Rix would be released after serving half of his sentence and then remain subject to the terms of licence. Rix will also have to remain on the sex offenders' register for the next 10 years.

The judge made it clear that the circumstances of the case made it very difficult to impose a fair sentence.

He acknowledged Rix to be "a mature man of previous impeccable character and soundness of reputation, with an impressive career in his field of professional expertise, held in high regard by his colleagues and the public alike".

Although the young girl had not been abducted or been subjected to violence, her welfare had to be protected.

'A virgin flattered by celebrity'

The judge told the court: "These offences took place when she was only weeks short of her 16th birthday, the age of consent, yet at the time of the offences she was a virgin, plainly a girl who was undoubtedly like any other fascinated and flattered by the attentions of a man who was to her knowledge a celebrity, attended by the glamour of fame and success."

Although the judge accepted the girl made no strong protests to Rix's advances, he deemed his behabiour irresponsible. "There was in my view a significant amount of irresponsibility in your behaviour, illustrating a determination to have sex irrespective of her feelings," he said.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
well Big Dave Beasant liked him

Portsmouth goalkeeper Dave Beasant said the players are "low and disappointed" after being told that manager Graham Rix has been sacked.

Beasant hit out at "influential people" at the club who he said had undermined Rix.

You play for the person who is in charge

Dave Beasant
The 43-year-old believes Rix should have been given until the end of the season to turn things around at Fratton Park.

"I arrived at the training ground this morning. We were summoned into a meeting with the chairman and he's explained what's happened.

"The players are very low and disappointed with the way things have gone.

"There have been a lot of influential people making comments around the club and making his job extremely difficult.

"Graham Rix has been under untold pressure. But he has always been honest with the players.

"With his honesty the players he has called upon have come in and done very well for him. You play for the person who is in charge.

"If we had a good result it was a reprieve and if we lost he was close to the sack.

"You'd have thought he would have been given until the end of the season.

Rix was under pressure at Fratton Park

"I hope he bounces back because he has been working under difficult circumstances.

"We've reached safety with 51 points but maybe they (the board) are thinking `let's change things now in case things don't work'.

"From what we've heard with immediate effect Harry Redknapp is in charge. But who knows what happens after that?"

Portsmouth supporters club chairman Paddy Thomas shared Beasant's shock at Rix's dismissal.

"He has brought in so many good young players and has brought in a good foundation - but I find the decision very, very strange.

"I find the decision difficult to accept - it's a backward step. I don't know what Rix is supposed to have done wrong.

"I think Rix has been undermined by people behind the scenes for a long, long time - this could be a relief for him."

"I find the thought of Harry Redknapp being given the job of taking the club forward very, very strange.

"I don't see him as a viable alternative to Graham."

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION

Cotterill played long ball at chelt to get them from county leagues to div 3. he is a good manager, a very good coach and would play to our strengths.

anyone on here who claims cotteril only plays long ball is a) misled and b) more that likely quoting here-say.

im from cheltenham, i have friends who play/have played for cheltenham- i know he is a good manager and i know he didnt always play long ball.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I voted for Cotterill but am now having second thoughts.
His short stay at Stoke would'nt bode well for us if we continued to do well - but then is'nt this the case with anyone else.

No one will have any loyalty to us if a better offer comes in whilst we are at Withdean - even Bob Booker would probably move on if things were going well and the offer was right.

I am now starting to think that Dowie would be a good choice - but would he want to move all the way from Oldham ?
It is'nt just about the job - Housing , moving costs , prospects etc will all have to be right if he was to come to us.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I've thought that Iain Dowie is the best one for the job ever since the news of SC possibly leaving was raised (I'm talking about the West Ham rumours here). He's young, relatively inexperienced, but has an ability to get the best out of a team.

Not only that, but the last few weeks have convinced me that he can really get a team playing - even one without money and having lost many of their best players. I really think that Dowie is made for a team like us - great team morale, but not much cash to throw about.

Don't fancy Kinnear, not the same anymore with his dodgy ticker.

Tony Adams would be a good appointment, a gamble yes but very high profile and would attract some good signings. Young first time managers have to a lot to prove for themselves.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
It has to be Dowie.
He is a man going places and an ideal manager to lead us into the Falmer revolution.
If I could really get my own way then it would be Neale Cooper from Hartlepool who the great Sir Alex is 'grooming as the next assistant manager at Manure with a view to eventually running the roost.
I know DK has interviewed him in the past, but maybe he is just not ready yet,
Hey I am also out of my tits typing this !!

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Some interesting names.

But what about John Aldridge. He did an excellent job with Tranmere on a shoe-string budget.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Anyone know who the mananger was that DK was refering to on the phone in the other night. The one who has managed in the champions league?

Personally I think the club will go for Brooker out of loyalty. Not sure if thats the right decsion though, but hey if it's not broke why fix it?

Anyone reckon we'll have an decision before the trip to Bournemouth?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Anyone see Jean Tigana's name mentioned in the News of The World today. Didn't even consider him in the list above coz thought there was no chance of him coming.

Has he managed in the champions league before Fulham? Could DK be talking about him?

vincent van twoth

Sep 19, 2003
i would be satisfied with dowie or cotteril.

however, nigel clough may be the one. he is a young, intelligent lad. he must have a few connections in the game and may just have some of those genes that made his father a great manager (for forest!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here