Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion's next manager ***Discuss it here & vote***

Who should replace Steve Coppell? (3 votes)

• Bob Booker

Votes: 55 19.1%
  • Dean Wilkins

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Paul Merson

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Tony Adams

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 43 14.9%
  • Graham Rix

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Gary Johnson (Yeovil)

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Lawrie Sanchez

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Ian Dowie

Votes: 124 43.1%
  • Nigel Clough

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Joe Kinnear

Votes: 44 15.3%
  • Glen Hoddle

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Terry Burton (Watford Assist.)

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Liam Brady

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Danny Wilson (Bristol City)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Glen Roeder

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Jean Tigana

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Lou Macari

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Dave Merrington

• Steve McMahon

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Terry Connor (Wolves Assist.)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Stuart Pearce

• Brain Little

• Carlton Parmer

• Alan Cork

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Graham

• Andy Ritchie (Leeds Coach)

• John Gregory

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Keith Curle (Mansfield)

• Howard Wilkinson ( (Late addition to poll)

• Stuart Gray (Late addition to poll)

• Mark McGhee (Late addition to poll)

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • The Chuckle Brothers (will maintain Albions passing style...To Me..To You

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
With the amount of money Fulham paid Jean Tigana, he could be a Director of Football, a proper Director with investments and shares.

What are all the footballers going to do with all this money they are being paid. David Beckham could buy my whole street in one week with the money he is getting!

When they retire are they going to put any money back into the sport, or are they going to spend it on designer yachts, racehorses etc?

Last edited:

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
My first choice would be Joe Kinnear.

I've then voted for Gary Johnson of Yeovil and Andy Ritchie. I think anyone of those three could do a job.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I have go to for Tigana, regardless of his experience at Fulham, our football would be breath taking!

Bozz

Oct 8, 2003
Somewhere in London
Murdoch was at the Grimsby game and is clearly up for the job, but DK has said that he won't pay compensation (er I mean appoint a manager under contract).

BTW Tigana was on £1.5 m salary at Fulham

erm

Oct 14, 2003
[B]Bob for the Job!! :wave: Bob for the Job!! :wave: [/B]

I really dont think that you can put Hinch & Woods in with the same expierence as Bob he has worked with them all, Adams, Taylor & Copout!! & has the Backing of the Players so why not give him the chance to prove himnself perhaps as has been sugested until Falmer is either On or Off lets see how he does at Bournmoutn!! but please dont demoralize him with some of the Negative things some have been written in these pages :wave:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The only managers being interviewed are Steve Cotterill and Iain Dowie... Bob Booker has been ruled out after what happened to Case, Wood and Hinsh.

Seagull Stew

Don't know if this has been mentioned earlier but how come Alan Cork's managed to get 20 votes?

Some Baardiff fans taking the piss I reckon ???

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I don't often post here but read the comments, however for something as important as this I thought I'd add my two pennies worth. Although Bob Booker looks a good choice, (loyalty, Brighton through and through, knows the club and players better than anyone, loved by all, etc, etc,), he was one big downer as far as I can see in that he doesn't have the contacts necessary to bring in new players on loan.

Say what you like about our previous managers, (and you certainly do that here!), if you think back most of their success was brought about by bringing in class players from other clubs, usually at no cost. Does Booker have that sort of clout in the market? As far as I can tell only Sheffield United know about him so that sort of limits where any new players are coming from a bit.

Best bet I reckon has to be Dowie

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am not sure I care for all these loan players. A brief loan if the manager had NOT got the confidence or judgement to sign him outright, or DK is not prepared to cough up the dosh. Or to cover a long term unexpected injury, sudden departure etc.

I do not think contacts count for all that much (not so important as judgement and decision-making, authority and man management): it may even persuade the Manager to part with dosh for players are not any good.

Last edited:

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Hoddle is saying on BBC that he is ready for the next challenge - any thoughts on the albion having their second Ex England manager in 3 years ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Kick Ass Minton said:
Hoddle is saying on BBC that he is ready for the next challenge - any thoughts on the albion having their second Ex England manager in 3 years ?

Yes that would be a laugh. I can see the interview now: well Mr Hoddle, the general feeling is that we are playing above ourselves now, although I'm looking for a manager who will keep it that way. I would have liked to accept a cheaper manager (not quite such a miracle worker) but unfortunately some **** nicked our best player in 2 decades for absolute buttons and he would have even guaranteed promotion for my granny if she was managing the side.

Sullycanuck

Oct 8, 2003
London, Ontario, Canada
Bob Booker is my choice. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Doesn't loyalty count for anything? Mileoakman has some very good points but we all know that every manager has to have a start. I say let Bob have his now.

bish@freeserve

Jul 28, 2003
haywards heath
Give the job to Booker. He's done his time under Adams etc so give him the chance to show he can do it. Hopefully he's also learnt from his experiences with Mr Hinshelwood. And the players want him to stay (apparently) which must mean they will play for him better than an 'unknown'.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
What about McGhee?

Apart from Leicester, his record looks pretty good to me. Seems to fit a lot of criterea:

Experienced with contacts (managed Reading, Wolves, Leicester and Millwall). Success in lower divisions (not only got Milwall promoted but kept them in Div. 1 top ten since-they are still 8th now). Has managed without big budgets (most of them probably bigger than ours admittedly).

Worth approaching to add to DK's shortlist (or at least the NSC poll)?

Last edited:

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree. McGhee might be abit of a tit, but he's a good manager with a proven track record int he first and second divisions and managers without much money.

Could we have him added to the poll please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here