Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion vs Tranmere thread

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
but we are talking about 1 bloke whose played a handful of games for us and the other who is a centre half so get real.

eh?

forster and murray?

sorry i dont get your point....

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Took my lad last night and not the most entertaining of games but certainly not as bad as Chelski Pool at the weekend.

Bearing in mind the current extremely limited squad due to injuries, the quality of the opposition and the effect of the last minute defeat on Sat then it could have been worse.

There was some excellent passing and movement at times although not regularly enough. The back 4 did a pretty good job and El Abd and Thomson were outstanding in midfield. Their only downside is that there was not enough support high enough up the pitch at times but we are talking about 1 bloke whose played a handful of games for us and the other who is a centre half so get real.

Cox did well and Bowditch was ok ish. Forster was his usual excellent self and it's a shame his touch let him down early on. Murray meanwhile was nowhere near as good as against Crewe and sadly this deprived us of a double edged attack.

Tranmere are no puchovers (ask Leeds) and we coped pretty well whilst creating some good opportunities. Overall a 6 or 7 out of 10 and the people on here who are gloom and doom merchants should go and peddle their rubbish at clubs like B'Muff, Luton or Leeds where you will have a point.

The reality is it wasn't dreadful, it wasn't great but I've seen a lot worse.

A realistic, non-sensationalist, non look-at-me, well-thought out and considered post.

Thought we lacked a bit of creativity pushing forward. The midfield, at times, looked scared to take a risk.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Listening to SCR sounds as if we did not deserve to win. Have to say that it looks as if DW has lost the plot. His substitutions are awful. Kerry Mayo should not be on the bench let alone coming on. Missed a sitter apparantly. Gary Hart came on and did not hear his name mentioned. Obviously Mcfaul has been bought to sit on the bench and not play. Mick Adams must be approached or you can forget about increased gates or getting anywhere near the play-offs.:shrug:

Bollocks: The WHOLE lot of it!

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
The Mayo substitution worked well and almost paid dividends. If he had been able to place his header better, then we would be rejoicing in three points. The fact is, Tank was looking weary and Greenacre had been introduced. El-Abd was dropped back into defence and Mayo did a fine job protecting the back four.

The Hart substitution was also understandable. He shave have added a bit of grit and was the most likely to get a nod on to Forster, who was a thorn in the side of Tranmere and getting behind the defence. As it happened, it didn't work out as it could have done on paper.

In fact, from memory, we picked up a bit a while after the substitutions and won some corners.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Listening to SCR sounds as if we did not deserve to win. Have to say that it looks as if DW has lost the plot. His substitutions are awful. Kerry Mayo should not be on the bench let alone coming on. Missed a sitter apparantly. Gary Hart came on and did not hear his name mentioned. Obviously Mcfaul has been bought to sit on the bench and not play. Mick Adams must be approached or you can forget about increased gates or getting anywhere near the play-offs.:shrug:

Just listened to Dean Wilkins on SCR and he must have the same speach recorded after every game "lacking quality in the final third" he says that every week. He felt Kerry did well because he NEARLY scored, when John Byrne said he SHOULD have scored. Dean Wilkins pleased with draw. Draw at home says all about are ambitions

So what did you think of Tranmere's penalty claim? Or Zola's performance? Or Forster's run and shot through the middle? How close do you think Kerry's effort was? Was it a good save or a bad miss? What were the circumstances that led to the effort in the first place? What did you think of their free-kicks? Or our set-pieces?

Or can't you remember what John Byrne told you to think?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Mayo substitution worked well and almost paid dividends. If he had been able to place his header better, then we would be rejoicing in three points. The fact is, Tank was looking weary and Greenacre had been introduced. El-Abd was dropped back into defence and Mayo did a fine job protecting the back four.

The Hart substitution was also understandable. He shave have added a bit of grit and was the most likely to get a nod on to Forster, who was a thorn in the side of Tranmere and getting behind the defence. As it happened, it didn't work out as it could have done on paper.

In fact, from memory, we picked up a bit a while after the substitutions and won some corners.

the mayo sub was understandale - the hart one baffled me. when was the last time he got a goal as a centre forward? there was noway he was a thorn in tranmeres sides, if anything, there centre backs had a far easier ride when he was on.

it was obvious that tranmere couldnt handle people running at them - forsters run in the first half, bowditch throughout the game. chucking robinson on - our one player who can run and cause problems IF he is on form, seemed a logical move. unfortunately, wilkins still seems to have something against him and as such he didnt get a look in yesterday

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The View from the Away End

Ronnie Moore pleased with dogged performance Feb 13 2008

by Nick Hilton, Liverpool Daily Post

MANAGER Ronnie Moore said he was happy with the point took away from a goalless stalemate at Brighton last night.

“It was a fair result,” Moore said of the draw that extended Rovers unbeaten run to six games and kept them in the League One play-off zone.

He added “It wasn’t a night for pretty football. It was a night to be dogged and determined. And that is what we were.

“There were a lot of positives for us to take out of the performance. The defending was solid and the clean sheet another big plus. Everyone worked their socks off and we limited Brighton to very few chances. In fairness, neither goal-keeper was seriously tested on the night.”

Moore started with the same line-up for the third game in a row and introduced substitute Chris Greenacre, Tranmere’s leading marksman – with just seven minutes to go.

However, the manager admits he is concerned about the thin supply of opportunities for Rovers forward players in the last two games.

He said “There is still some work to do in the attacking third of the field. We are not delivering enough good balls into the opposition danger area.

“I felt a little bit sorry for our strikers again because they had very few opportunities. When we got into decent areas the quality of the ball in isn’t good enough.

“We will work on that this week and I’ll enjoy it.”
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...objectid=20469288&siteid=50061-name_page.html

and...

Brighton 0, Tranmere 0Feb 13 2008

by Nick Hilton at the Withdean Stadium

TRANMERE extended their unbeaten run to six League One games by digging out a goalless draw at the Withdean Stadium last night.

The point was a worthy reward for a performance of graft and application rather than inspiration.

Rovers had to work hard from start to finish to keep in check a Brighton side determined to turn games in hand into the points to join the promotion challengers.

They were well served by their rearguard in restricting the Seagulls to a meagre ration of chances.

It was a measure of the quality of the defending that goalkeeper Danny Coyne wasn’t extended into a seriously difficult save all evening. Ronnie Moore’s unchanged line-up were less effective going forward. Brighton also deserved credit for solid defensive work. But too often Tranmere’s attacking football suffered from a familiar problem of a failure to convert promising situations into a potent final ball.

Dean Bowditch, signed on loan from Ipswich on Monday, was quick to make an impression for the Seagulls. The midfielder twice opened up chinks in Tranmere’s defensive armour during the opening 10 minutes.

Breaking through the inside right channel, Bowditch gave striker Nicky Forster an opening that was squandered with a heavy first touch.

Then a Bowditch cross from the right had Rovers making three attempts to clear their line before Andrew Taylor relieved the pressure.

Albion, making a busy start to the first five consecutive home games, kept Tranmere pressed back for much of the first half although most of the action was kept outside the visitors’ penalty area.

Rovers could make little impression going forward until winger Jennison Myrie-Williams whipped a sharp cross in deep from the right and Ian Moore’s glancing header from a dozen yards was well caught above his head by Michel Kuipers in the 31st minute.

Brighton had the ball in the net on 34 minutes when striker Glenn Murray headed in a right-wing free-kick from Dean Cox. But referee Pat Miller ruled the goal out for pushing and the lack of protests from the home players at the decision told its own story.

Tranmere often had to work hard to keep Brighton’s threat in check because their own passing game was below par in the first half.

Rovers came close to sneaking ahead on the stroke of half-time however when tall front man Calvin Zola chested the ball down on the edge of the box for Taylor. The left-back’s fierce low shot had Kuipers scrambling to push the ball out at the foot of the right-hand post. Ian Moore raced in to pounce on the rebound only for an offside flag to stop the action.

Tranmere survived their first alarm of the second half on 52 minutes when Forster burst past two tackles on a run through the middle and fired a rising shot from the edge of the box. Danny Coyne parried the ball but could not hold it and was grateful to see defender Antony Kay reach the rebound just before the galloping Forster.

Coyne then held onto Murray’s header from the resulting corner.

The Wales international goalkeeper did not make a move for a curling free-kick by Cox from the left-hand edge of the box that passed dangerously close to the right-hand post in the 56th minute.

Rovers response was a break down the left which saw Zola knock the ball down for midfield man Shane Sherriff to blast narrowly over the crossbar from a tight angle.

Tranmere threatened again on 69 minutes when Zola shot wide after turning sharply in a crowded penalty area.

Chris Greenacre came off the bench for the final seven minutes to replace Zola.

But by that time both teams looked to be intent on holding on to the point they held.

Coyne had to make a falling save in injury time to keep out a header by substitute Terry Mayo from a free-kick by Cox.

BRIGHTON: Kuipers, Whing, Butters (Mayo, 87), Elphick, Richards, Cox, El-Abd, Thomson, Bowditch, Murray (Hart, 73), Forster. Subs: Sullivan, Robinson, McFaul.

TRANMERE ROVERS: Coyne, Stockdale, Kay, Goodison, Taylor, Meir-Williams, Jennings, McLaren, Sherriff, Zola (Greenacre, 83), Moore. Subs: Achterberg, Mullin, Chorley, Curran.
BOOKINGS: Kay and Jennings.

REFEREE: Mr Pat Miller, Bedfordshire.

ATT: 4,797.

NEXT GAME: Tranmere v Millwall, League One, Saturday, February 16, 3pm
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...objectid=20469290&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Better late than never - a few thoughts on last night. Maybe I had my rose tinted spectacles on, but I thought it was a pretty decent game.

I thought we were exceptionally unlucky not to win against a pretty good
Tranmere side who will almost certainly be in the playoffs. Looking at the
team, the only player who had an off-day was Murray, whose first touch was
completely absent, and it was hardly a surprise when he was subbed. On the
evidence of the last two games, we don't seem to have got £300k-worth, but
it's early days.

On the plus side, I have to say Richards had an excellent game. I thought
I'd never be able to write a statement like that, but last night he proved
me wrong. The other significant honourable mention must go to El Abd, who
was virtually everywhere in midfield. For some reason Thomson got MotM - he
was much better than Saturday, but still tended to pass backwards or
sideways rather than look to create. Kuipers didn't have a great deal to do,
but when called upon his handling was excellent. Whing at right back and
Butters & Elphick in the centre were very solid. Bowditch looked lively, and
will certainly cause problems to defences of a lesser calibre than
Tranmere's. Cox was much more involved - one thing I've noticed recently is
that his corners and free-kicks are much improved. We must have had about 10
corners, and we looked dangerous at most of them. Forster, as ever, was energetic and creative. If only we had TWO Forsters up front we'd be in the promotion places.

Although 0-0 sounds dull, I found the game thoroughly absorbing - two
reasonable sides playing the ball mostly on the ground, and most of the time
looking to get forward when they could. With a little more luck we would
have scored at least a couple - the Tranmere keeper made several excellent
saves.

Fingers crossed for next Tuesday - if we play with the same consistency and
energy, we must surely beat Cheltenham. I'm taking my daughters to their first game in a year or so and we're making the most of the good little scheme the club are operating where season-ticket holders can swap their seat to sit next to
friends, and where you get a second additional seat half price. Hence, two
U16 tickets in the South Stand (centre) are £22.50, and I can sit next to
them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here