Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion vs Colchester

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
From the report it seems like Brittain was involved in most of our good play.

Also, 4 yellow cards in a friendly match! :eek:

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Silent Bob said:
"At the other end, McBreen, who had helped in the build up to Kazim-Richards' goal, had a gilt edged chance when put clean through by Brittain, but lofted his shot embarrassingly over the bar."

I suppose he did help out in the build up of the goal. I'll pretend I never read the last bit!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
We did well enough. Colchester were previously unbeaten pre-season (including 1-0 away to Bournemouth on Saturday). We'll be OK this season - perhaps not title chasers but not relegation fodder either.

D

Deleted member 2719

Well done Albion.

Sounds like yet another good display from the dutchman who has had his day according to some on here.

At this rate it would be an unbelievable for FDM not to be the first choice keeper.

Good to see CKR hit the back of the net too.

:ascarf:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
There are quite a few people connected to The Albion that have 'had their day' according to some. It would be a good idea if we allowed all to be judged on current performances rather than past history.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Official site says all trialists before tonight including Bakayoko are not being pursued.

Looks like the defence could be Hart El-Abd Elphick and Rents for the first game! Should be interesting.

Also according to the official site we had three at the back (Hart El-Abd Hinsh) with Reid sitting in front. That surely can't be right. However I do like the idea of Reid in that role, he has improved defensively, holds his position well and can play the ball around. Australian Makelele, Nice!

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
brightonfan_86 said:
So you don't think Colchester will struggle and get relegated?

I have the same little knowledge of Colchester as you have. Like you I am not qualified to make that judgement.

It still doesn't alter the fact that most of Colchester fans will have sleepless nights when they learn that The Kevin the Ape says that they will be relegated.

Les Biehn said:
Also according to the official site we had three at the back (Hart El-Abd Hinsh) with Reid sitting in front.

No - orthodox 4-4-2.

Thought we deserved the win tonight although it could easily have been a draw, both sides missed good chances after CKR's spectacular goal.

This was a decent U's side we played tonight - containing their top players like Garcia and Cureton, and Iwelumo for most of the second half. They beat Bournemouth 2-0 the other day, a team you'd probably describe as bottom-half League 1. I think tonight's decent performance by the Albion indicates that we are definitely top-half League 1 by that yardstick.

Our victory was all the more notable given the cruel injury to Hinsh, which must have disrupted our defensive plans. Although replacement Tommy Elphick did have some nervous times, I think the players around him were strong enough to cope, and that was encouraging.

There was little in it for much of the first half - and in fact Hendo was to make half-time without having to make a single save. We came on strong at the end though. A fine run from defence by Reid ended with Hammond looping a shot that came down on the bar and either bounced out or hit the post and bounced out - very unlucky. Seconds later, a good run from Frutos set up a great chance for Robinson, who turned beautifully about 12 yards out to give himself a great sight on goal. Alas though it went wide.

Second half, Kuipers came on. The key change though was CKR for the hardworking Revell. CKR took the game by the scruff of the neck and had a golden 15 minutes when he was at the centre of everything, culminating in one of his thundershots that nearly broke the net. Dean Cox also came on for Frutos and was very lively. The new triallist came on for Jake and unfortunately wasted a gilt-edge chance to make it 2-0 with a poor mis-hit high over the bar when one-on-one with the keeper.

At the other end, Cureton was busy and helped to force a number - I think 3 - very fine saves from Kuipers. Hart also made a brilliant charge-down of a shot heading for goal (as did Reid in the first-half). We had our moment of good fortune when first a lob by the Us hit the bar and then a fierce shot hit almost exactly the same spot within seconds of each other - hope we haven't used up all our luck for next month!

It was a bittersweet sight to see Iwelumo so ineffective in the second half. Elphick had made the odd mistake up to his arrival but then coped with the big man very well.

I thought our outstanding player of the evening was Reid at left-back. Some among us may never accept him being played out of position but tonight he was immaculate in both his defence and ability to carry the ball forward and keep his young centre-backs out of trouble. He played so calmly and excellently, there is surely a case for him being tried in central midfield when Lynch returns at LB.

Not far behind was El Abd. Although Hinsh's injury is a bad blow, the silver lining is that El Abd might be a better pick at right-sided centre-half anyway at the moment.

Chippy also showed good workrate and leadership in midfield, although some of his passing was awry. Hammond was a bit quieter. Hart was OK at right-back, had one great goal-saving block, but jury's out still on tonight's display whether this is still his best position.

Frutos and Brittain both had their good moments on the wing, but ironically I thought were both upstaged by Dean Cox when he came on - food for thought that.

Revell was busy and involved in the first half, and again looks a useful acquisition. CKR was different class when he came on though, although whether he can translate that fantastic 15 minutes he had to a 90-minute performance is the big question. Robinson had his moments but didn't take two decent chances. It remains an interesting battle between these 3 for the 2 places up front - and importantly which of the two form a better partnership. I would like to see Revell and CKR tried against MK Dons.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
If this is the year Reid can impose himself then I would love to see

Hendo

Hart El-Abd Hinsh/Butters/Elphick Lynch

Brittain/Cox Reid Hammond Frutos

CKR Revell/Robinson

/denotes injury, unsigned or unsure. Nice.

That team does give me confidence. If we could get a strong hold up player up front then that would be the icing on the cake. I would personally be happy to finish just outside the play-offs next year and think it might be a good thing as it would give the team a chance to go through a transistion blooding the new players etc and give the whole team confidence for a promotion push the year after. We would be in a good position then with the development of our players fully underway if we made it into the championship.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Mayo or Rents have to play at left back. It is a complete waste putting Lynch there, although that is what McGhee will do. Still no right back either, oh joy.

Mayo should not be playing LB. I would like to see Rents get a chance while I think Hart does a decent job at RB. No sure why it is a waste putting Lynch at LB, I thought he looked great there last year,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here