Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion STILL losing money

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Paul Barber indicated this (ie we're running at an operational loss) when he was on the Albion Roar earlier in the season. Clearly the transport arrangments cost the club something well into seven figures (Martin Perry) but the 2011/12 accounts will prove interesting reading in March, although those in March 2014 possibly more so when Barber's impact can be seen.

I wonder if its a Starbucks style "loss"?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
It makes sense for the club to be making a decent amount of money, but then be paying slightly more to TB as loan repayments. Tax is only taken from profits, right?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not claiming to know anything, which is why I chose the word "suspect"

But it's pretty obvious that the loan repayments began as soon as practically possible, it's just common sense.

I would say the opposite given the info regarding the loan structure which is in the public domain and noises Bloom has made. To me he has made an investment and is now working to make it grow and not taking money out.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
It's not stewards, if the club got rid of 50 stewards, who are on a 6 hour shift at (say) £8 an hour, then for 25 home matches a season it would save £60,000 a year, which is peanuts in the wider scheme of things.

which is still twice what the club could claw back from the ticket exchange. so why have they shut down the exchange if it is, in your words, half of peanuts?

Dec 29, 2011
One of my friends played in the same youth team as Craig Dawson, who was at Rochdale with Will Buckley. I got him to do a little digging and Dawson said that Buckley is on £10,000 a week with Craig Mackail-Smith on a WHOPPING £20,000 a week. That is all.

CMS doesn't get 20k a week.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Best thing is wait till the accounts are published no? Then look at the small print at the bottom as thats where the "bodies are buried"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I note you dont actually address the two specific points I made, whih in itself is telling. Of course they are on the whole happy after Withdean, but they are not happy with everything, so strive to make them happy with everything. Your statement also makes no sense. International companies have millions of punters but that does not mean that international business's don't strive to improve and stay close to their customers by reacting to what the want. Charlyton failed to sell 10,000 tickets and had punters who couldnt get in. If mu company had 10,000 spare seats and 1 punter couldnt use our product then there would be hell to pay. As would there be if someone p!ssed off punters by being officious towards them. This is where football club administrators seem to fail in the "one size will fit all because I say so" mentality. Strange they are just so bad at this, it really is.

You seem to be peed off with Charlton and then applying that same principle to the Albion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One of my friends played in the same youth team as Craig Dawson, who was at Rochdale with Will Buckley. I got him to do a little digging and Dawson said that Buckley is on £10,000 a week with Craig Mackail-Smith on a WHOPPING £20,000 a week. That is all.

Total tosh. There is a video of CMS saying that he turned down higher wages at other clubs because he liked Gus and what he is trying to do here. We didn't have the budget to offer him those sort of wages.
You can always tell the bs merchants as their source is always 3 mates removed from the actual 'source'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Somebody has obviously got their sums wrong bigtime, if we really are still losing money. Didn't the club announce that break even on Falmer would be 12-15k not much more than a couple of years ago?

I am no accountant but losing money with the gates we have sounds like mismanagement to me (if it is actually true of course) :shrug:

Given how many non football activities there are as well makes it all sound unlikely that we are losing money imo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Total tosh. There is a video of CMS saying that he turned down higher wages at other clubs because he liked Gus and what he is trying to do here. We didn't have the budget to offer him those sort of wages.
You can always tell the bs merchants as their source is always 3 mates removed from the actual 'source'.

Given the amount of players which claim money isn't the deciding factor I tend to take such comments with a pinch of salt. If we believed every such claim then most teams would consist of altruists.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
does anybody know the wage bill of the club at present? all employees including players-

Then there is policing costs too can anybody shed light on the average cost to police a match at the Amex last season?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Given the amount of players which claim money isn't the deciding factor I tend to take such comments with a pinch of salt. If we believed every such claim then most teams would consist of altruists.

The fact that quite a few players have said it is further confirmation to me. I haven't heard other team players making such claims.

Dec 29, 2011
There are a few accountants on NSC, why can't get get a definitive answer on whether loan repayments can be counted as costs to make sure we don't make a profit?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Cost of expanding the Amex this year? Cost of things related to the academy which won't be present in future seasons? (presumably a smaller, more predictible running cost not large price of setting it up).

How big is our squad? All those bench and reserve players on last year of L1 deal with promotion wage. Replace with less, Champ waged players probably means wages will stay same in future but 1st team squad improve.

Azure were SHIT and taking decent chunk of profit in that field.

We signed ALOT of players on FREE's presumably with generous signing fees though. ALOT of players!!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps the costs of adding to our capacity and the costs of the training centre are the reasons why we are currently running at a loss ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The fact that quite a few players have said it is further confirmation to me. I haven't heard other team players making such claims.

Lots of players claim money isn't the deciding factor. I see it in the papers often.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
There are a few accountants on NSC, why can't get get a definitive answer on whether loan repayments can be counted as costs to make sure we don't make a profit?
[MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] may be able to answer

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

But then i dont pay much attention to other teams signings. Besides i bet murray didnt say "i only joined palace for more money than i was offered at brighton" even tho we ALL KNOW thats exactly why he joined them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here