Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion STILL losing money

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Too many fringe players/squad members that need moving on. Perhaps don't buy any more midfielders?

Too many stewards more like (specifically the Uni Car Parks). Why does it take 3 or 4 of them to tell me a car park is full?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Very worried if we are losing money with the current crowd figures, could explain why we sell the likes of noone, bennett etc in each transfer window

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
I can't see how the loss can be down to playing staff as Gus is working to a budget and that budget would have been based around the income and the other outgoings surely, if Gus is over spending his budget, then TB will have to sort it out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didnt say they did. But they are p!ssing off thousands of punters with a bizarre hissy fit on teenagers who want to bounce up and down in the north stand. And Charlton failed to sell 10,000 seats and had many punters like myself who couldnt get in because they had a rigid one end policy that restricted how many tickets they would give Brighton. Both are the clubs choices and I, and others will make our decisions. If football is not easy to go to, then I will do something else. If I was still a teenager and I couldnt be boistrous at football, then I also doubt that i would have bothered going. It doesnt take much to get these things right, but there we are

The standing issue is being debated on another thread, but I can assure you that it isn't teenagers who are bouncing in the north stand. Charlton decided to sell home tickets to fans who had a history of buying from them. You can't blame them for that, as home fans get annoyed with away fans in their seats. Most keep quiet but some don't. Is there any reason why you didn't get one of the 3,000 odd away tickets that were on sale? It seemed fairly easy to do.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, I remember reading that the full amount of 123m was due around 2025, presumably it works like any other loan in that it is being repaid monthly. Really TB wants it back ASAP, as it is interest free he will be losing money on it as every month passes. I suspect it is the clubs biggest outgoing at this point.

No way is it bring repaid.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Brilliant. Nothing like a bit of unfounded speculation and scaremongering

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?265909-NSC-Ticket-Exchange

"Our club has come a very long way in a short space of time. Clearly, there is a huge difference between us playing at Withdean and now playing at the Amex. Unfortunately, although our business has grown significantly so has the cost of running our club, not least because competing at this level of football requires a very different level of investment to ensure we can compete on the field. As a consequence, as things stand - and like most if not all Championship clubs - we continue to operate at a loss. So, as a club and as a business, we still need to work very hard to build our revenues in all areas. It it sometimes a dirty word with some football fans, but the club's brand is more important than ever before. It has real commercial value and it has to be managed and developed further for us to realise that value."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brilliant. Nothing like a bit of unfounded speculation and scaremongering

Quite right - and this is nothing like a bit of unfounded speculation and scaremongering.

As stated in another thread, we're hoping to get Paul Barber on the Roar early in the new year to talk about - among other things - the state of the Albion's finances, Financial Fair Play, and what happens financially going forward from here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe the club could cut down on the number of stewards! That may sound like a fishing comment but it isn't. There are stewards who just stand around near the station doing nothing, when there are signposts pointing to the correct queues for the trains. Others are milling around outside without any specific role that I can see.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Too many stewards more like (specifically the Uni Car Parks). Why does it take 3 or 4 of them to tell me a car park is full?

Totally agree - 4 to check your ticket - 4 at the crossing - 4 or 5 at each car park. Barking mad waste of money.
Far too many stewards in all areas outside the ground.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why on earth would you think that, the club isn't run by idiots you know. I suspect that the repayments began the month we moved into the Amex, perhaps sooner. The earlier the repayments began, the less would have to be repaid periodically by the 2025 target deadline and the more money TB would save on his investment.

I think your suspicions are wrong and that Tony has actually dipped into his pocket again. I'm not including the training ground payout in that.

Feb 14, 2010
The standing issue is being debated on another thread, but I can assure you that it isn't teenagers who are bouncing in the north stand. Charlton decided to sell home tickets to fans who had a history of buying from them. You can't blame them for that, as home fans get annoyed with away fans in their seats. Most keep quiet but some don't. Is there any reason why you didn't get one of the 3,000 odd away tickets that were on sale? It seemed fairly easy to do.

Whether they are teenagers (which if the old North stand was anything to go by it will be) or older people makes not one jot of difference to the point I make. I like change and think everything should move forward, but for the better. It used to be standard practice to move home fans when large supports came rolling into town. This was a good idea that modern football administrators seem unable to grasp. That however is their choice, and Charlton failed to sell 10,000 by having the arrangements they have. As such, football clubs can stop moaning that they are losing money. As in all business areas, deliver choice, deliver what the punter wants, make it easy to be a punter. It really is that simple.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Sorry Bwian, I made a similar comment to yours without seeing it above. I agree with you.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No surprises here then, and it's not just player wages. The playing side management of the club will be well into 7 figures and the admin staff costs will be considerable (incl Barber and whoever else he has brought in to support him). The costs of AITC will be considerable, and the coaching infrastructure is now immense - youth teams, schools of excellence, devt squad. All these have a variety of coaches, physios, nutritionists, plus the costs of travel and facilities etc etc. add matchday staff too. The bill must be mega.
All this says to me is that they are trying to run before they can walk. No-one likes change, especially at the rate we have had in recent years after years of mere anticipation. As fans we no longer have that link with the people of the recent past - eg, Hinsh, Malc Stuart, the Junior Seagulls coordintor etc. even the people involved in the Falmer campaign (club and fans) appear to be sidelined.
I think bringing a high flyer like Barber in so soon was a poor decision cos he is not the sort to hang about and concern himself with tradition or history.
Yep, the stadium is great but the football laid on is currently indifferent. The matchday experience is OK. We are now classed as customers - this needs to change.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whether they are teenagers (which if the old North stand was anything to go by it will be) or older people makes not one jot of difference to the point I make. I like change and think everything should move forward, but for the better. It used to be standard practice to move home fans when large supports came rolling into town. This was a good idea that modern football administrators seem unable to grasp. That however is their choice, and Charlton failed to sell 10,000 by having the arrangements they have. As such, football clubs can stop moaning that they are losing money. As in all business areas, deliver choice, deliver what the punter wants, make it easy to be a punter. It really is that simple.
27,000 punters seem to be happy with the business at present and a handful aren't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I didnt say they did. But they are p!ssing off thousands of punters with a bizarre hissy fit on teenagers who want to bounce up and down in the north stand. And Charlton failed to sell 10,000 seats and had many punters like myself who couldnt get in because they had a rigid one end policy that restricted how many tickets they would give Brighton. Both are the clubs choices and I, and others will make our decisions. If football is not easy to go to, then I will do something else. If I was still a teenager and I couldnt be boistrous at football, then I also doubt that i would have bothered going. It doesnt take much to get these things right, but there we are

27,000 punters seem to be happy with the business at present and a handful aren't.

Exactly, and if 1500 walk out of the Northstand today, there will still be 25,500 around the ground that don't.

Some of the comments comparing protests preventing the club from going out of business at the hands of Archer and now protesting the right to stand beggars belief.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It is a worry and hopefully begins to justify some of the hikes in price of a few things in and around the stadium that a number seem to gripe over. Self-sufficiency, even books and success are a triple-edged sword so difficult to consistently sharpen each blade of equally. We have to put our financial stability way above a huge shove for the premiership despite the temporary wealth it promises, so i'm hopeful the most of us fans keep our desperation for promotion at arm's length rather than have it drown our every thought when a bore draw or savage defeat comes our way.
Still, i am expecting a 9-0 win today.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's not stewards, if the club got rid of 50 stewards, who are on a 6 hour shift at (say) £8 an hour, then for 25 home matches a season it would save £60,000 a year, which is peanuts in the wider scheme of things.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here