Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion STILL losing money

Feb 14, 2010
27,000 punters seem to be happy with the business at present and a handful aren't.

I note you dont actually address the two specific points I made, whih in itself is telling. Of course they are on the whole happy after Withdean, but they are not happy with everything, so strive to make them happy with everything. Your statement also makes no sense. International companies have millions of punters but that does not mean that international business's don't strive to improve and stay close to their customers by reacting to what the want. Charlyton failed to sell 10,000 tickets and had punters who couldnt get in. If mu company had 10,000 spare seats and 1 punter couldnt use our product then there would be hell to pay. As would there be if someone p!ssed off punters by being officious towards them. This is where football club administrators seem to fail in the "one size will fit all because I say so" mentality. Strange they are just so bad at this, it really is.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No surprises here then, and it's not just player wages. The playing side management of the club will be well into 7 figures and the admin staff costs will be considerable (incl Barber and whoever else he has brought in to support him). The costs of AITC will be considerable, and the coaching infrastructure is now immense - youth teams, schools of excellence, devt squad. All these have a variety of coaches, physios, nutritionists, plus the costs of travel and facilities etc etc. add matchday staff too. The bill must be mega.
All this says to me is that they are trying to run before they can walk. No-one likes change, especially at the rate we have had in recent years after years of mere anticipation. As fans we no longer have that link with the people of the recent past - eg, Hinsh, Malc Stuart, the Junior Seagulls coordintor etc. even the people involved in the Falmer campaign (club and fans) appear to be sidelined.
I think bringing a high flyer like Barber in so soon was a poor decision cos he is not the sort to hang about and concern himself with tradition or history.
Yep, the stadium is great but the football laid on is currently indifferent. The matchday experience is OK. We are now classed as customers - this needs to change.
You're obviously very hard to please as I think the football is generally fantastic and exciting and the match day experience is just incredible.I love every minute of it.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I note you dont actually address the two specific points I made, whih in itself is telling. Of course they are on the whole happy after Withdean, but they are not happy with everything, so strive to make them happy with everything. Your statement also makes no sense. International companies have millions of punters but that does not mean that international business's don't strive to improve and stay close to their customers by reacting to what the want. Charlyton failed to sell 10,000 tickets and had punters who couldnt get in. If mu company had 10,000 spare seats and 1 punter couldnt use our product then there would be hell to pay. As would there be if someone p!ssed off punters by being officious towards them. This is where football club administrators seem to fail in the "one size will fit all because I say so" mentality. Strange they are just so bad at this, it really is.

But that's an Issue you have with Charlton's policy on tickets for Away Fans.

BHAFC, currently, is selling a lot more tickets than Charlton. What game this Season could Brighton have offered, and sold, more tickets to away fans?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Iv'e heard the club are losing money as well...Makes the need to play entertaining football and stay at the top end of the table more important than people seem to think. Mid table might be fine by some fans who like to drown on about the day old days and where we have come from, but in the real world we need to make the play offs at least.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
All this makes me think something is not quite adding up somewhere-were we not meant to be able to "Break even" with 12,000 gates upon moving to the Amex?

costing and forecast costs always spiral but surely what with double the predicted break even attendances we currently are getting perhaps the £130m that Tony shelled out is built within the loses.

To put it another way if Falmer was already built and free we would be making money?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All this makes me think something is not quite adding up somewhere-were we not meant to be able to "Break even" with 12,000 gates upon moving to the Amex?

costing and forecast costs always spiral but surely what with double the predicted break even attendances we currently are getting perhaps the £130m that Tony shelled out is built within the loses.

To put it another way if Falmer was already built and free we would be making money?

Falmer is free, the loan from Tony is at a zero interest rate, I suspect that one off costs of moving, coupled with poor control over operational non-playing costs have contributed to the loss.

Perhaps Gus is correct in that his hands are tied in relation to players, but that of course would not suit the agenda of the anti-Gus brigade.

Feb 14, 2010
But that's an Issue you have with Charlton's policy on tickets for Away Fans.

BHAFC, currently, is selling a lot more tickets than Charlton. What game this Season could Brighton have offered, and sold, more tickets to away fans?

Yes you are right. I was using the absurd Charltn policy to highlight a failing in football administration that fails the business aim of selling tickets. I then move on and deal with the officious way that the Albion are seeking to stop a few punters jumping up and down in the advertised boistrous north stan. This another example that at times, (but not all the time of course) people that administer football just come at things from the wrong direction. It happens, whether banking, insurance, councils, NHS, schools, whatever, the employee sometimes needs to be reminded that actually, its not them that counts, its the punter.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Charlyton failed to sell 10,000 tickets and had punters who couldnt get in. If mu company had 10,000 spare seats and 1 punter couldnt use our product then there would be hell to pay. As would there be if someone p!ssed off punters by being officious towards them. This is where football club administrators seem to fail in the "one size will fit all because I say so" mentality. Strange they are just so bad at this, it really is.

Why do you need to keep repeating yourself like a broken record ?

Charlton controlled our allocation and gave us all they were prepared to, if you aren't happy then take it up with them as Albion have NOTHING to do with away allocations, we wouldn't sell 10k anyway so what world are you in ??

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Football aside i wonder how much capacity remains within the calender for non football related money generating avenues-i would say quite a bit,so perhaps there is considerable room for future revenues still to come-the Amex must have a night club for example

Feb 14, 2010
For the benefit of Hawk Seagull. Hope this explains the point I make:-

Yes you are right. I was using the absurd Charltn policy to highlight a failing in football administration that fails the business aim of selling tickets. I then move on and deal with the officious way that the Albion are seeking to stop a few punters jumping up and down in the advertised boistrous north stan. This another example that at times, (but not all the time of course) people that administer football just come at things from the wrong direction. It happens, whether banking, insurance, councils, NHS, schools, whatever, the employee sometimes needs to be reminded that actually, its not them that counts, its the punter.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You're obviously very hard to please as I think the football is generally fantastic and exciting and the match day experience is just incredible.I love every minute of it.

We'll have to agree to differ on the quality of the football. We are the lowest scoring side in the top half and have let in the fewest. This tells me that we are generally negative with our possession style of football. I am not saying that this isn't the way forward, it's just that we are trying to play it with players unsuited to that style. The excitement is only oming in mall and infrequent bursts.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Iv'e heard the club are losing money as well...Makes the need to play entertaining football and stay at the top end of the table more important than people seem to think. Mid table might be fine by some fans who like to drown on about the day old days and where we have come from, but in the real world we need to make the play offs at least.
And then in the premiership you'll demand a champions league spot no doubt? Two facts to bear in mind:
- Continuous improvement isn't possible in the long term. There's only so far you can go, whether you're brighton or man city.
- All teams want the same thing. We can't all win / get promoted / win the cup every year. Football it's about competition and that's what makes out exciting. People who think we should walk every game clearly don't realise that there are other teams involved.

The key, therefore, is that the club continue to make the match day experience a pleasurable one. This it's more important than success on the pitch.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I can't see how we could be possibly losing money, unless we are already repaying TB's loan.

For me it seems obvious that we are, and have been for some time. It's obvious from both the perspective of the club and TB, as we are a professional outfit now and as much as people like to believe TB doesn't have £125m sitting around to lose.

I suppose we will have to wait for next years accounts to know for sure.

What you write makes sense I know, but probably best to wait to see the accounts when they are published rather than speculate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here