Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion sign 2 Argentinian Midfielders

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sorry if I sound aggressive... bad few days here...looks like we may lose our plane tickets....

My point is that English football is geared to playing other english teams...it doesnt work anymore at international level. Our home grown players dont know how to play otherwise... english football is not developing tactically and when foreign players come here they adapt to our game...our game doesnt adapt to theirs

... which may be that sometimes foreign players from lower divison team abroad do better or worse here, depending on their suitability to our outmoded game.

Sorry to hear it...

I do agree, but I just think it's deeper - We develop players without the basics, control, short pass etc etc. Also, as I may have mentioned ealier, they're all big and bulky and about as agile and mobile as a small fookin oil tanker.

If Gareth Barry is the answer, I just don't know what the frigging question is.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And that is why we will never field an England team with any chance of competing at international level..

Its honest and true, everyone puts their club first and that is what stops us producing players, we all want a quick fix by buying Carlos Kickaball.

You seem to have conviniently overlooked the fact, that in tandem with bringing in a few exciting exotic signings, the other notable thing the club / Gus have done this summer, is to set up a dedicated DEVELOPMENT squad, to PRODUCE players....

Still, carry on...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Sorry to hear it...

I do agree, but I just think it's deeper - We develop players without the basics, control, short pass etc etc. Also, as I may have mentioned ealier, they're all big and bulky and about as agile and mobile as a small fookin oil tanker.

If Gareth Barry is the answer, I just don't know what the frigging question is.

But why do we devleop players like that...... because it suits the english game style.... it doesnt work on the international stage.

Look at Ricardo Fuller for god's sake.....

Backinhe eighties it was the hieght of style... nayoen remember Horst Hrubesch? Not now. I dont blame Capello because he has to find a tactic that he can play with the players at his disposal... so players he might personally prefer dont get a look in

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Exciting stuff!

I assume that we can write something into their contract that we can extend the year at our discretion? 1 year isn't very long obviously and if they are brilliant (as Calderon was), it would be good if we have something written into their contracts that we can extend the year and stop someone else signing them at the end of the season.

Anyone know if this is normal/possible?

Agree IE Scumhampton who never seem to find their own talent

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
But why do we devleop players like that...... because it suits the english game style.... it doesnt work on the international stage.

Chicken and egg isn't it! :laugh:

I don't think we've yet seen the true results of the academy system yet - We produced Tom Huddlestone who fits the bill of being techincally very very good. Unfortunately he really is an oil tanker on the pitch. Giles Barnes came through as well and is far more gifted than Huddlestone and has all the right attributes but his attitude stinks and he's permo injured. So maybe the academies ARE doing the right thing??

All that said, you look at the U21s and it's not terribly exciting.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
reason we lost the game, by the way, in my view, was because capello was completely and utterly DONE by lowe tactically. he played a little deeper than usual and basically said 'here you go, use the ball' to our defense and midfield knowing full well that we couldn't do anything decent or threatening with it, then striking quickly on the break. we looked like puddings struggling to retain possession, they sat there looking calm and composed and assured. also think alot of the england players lack the nous needed to change things mid-match.

I think this is why the team flatter to decieve - In qualifying, when we were able to impose ourselves and coaches couldn't figure out how to combat the power and pace, we look like world beaters. Now the coaches have had time to work it out, we're not techinically good enough to implement plan B. Not sure Capello can do much about that?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I think this is why the team flatter to decieve - In qualifying, when we were able to impose ourselves and coaches couldn't figure out how to combat the power and pace, we look like world beaters. Now the coaches have had time to work it out, we're not techinically good enough to implement plan B. Not sure Capello can do much about that?

play an ultra defensive style, 10 men behind the ball, grind out results relying on set pieces for goals - worked for greece in the euros. okay it looks bad but it suits our players skill sets perfectly!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Reading this thread from the top it goes from positive about the Albion to some negative stuff about England.

Regarding the signings, totally untested and of course lets see how they are as how many times have we been stung but these players are not being signed as saviours.

I think it could be ok. Chances are 1 of them will be ok

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Reading this thread from the top it goes from positive about the Albion to some negative stuff about England.

Regarding the signings, totally untested and of course lets see how they are as how many times have we been stung but these players are not being signed as saviours.

I think it could be ok. Chances are 1 of them will be ok

Gus, who has a tad more experience with footballing matters than ill ever have, seems to rate them. On that basis, im happy with them...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
On the Argentineans..... nice to have them as it creates a buzz...they cost us nothing so why not....good luck to them and not expecting too much... give them time... as they have only one year think thats Gus's view too.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
To me its obvious, England players dont win tournaments, be it for club or country.

I dont care if us signing 30 foreign players affects the quality of the England squad long term if the do the business for us and dont cripple us financially. After watching the shower of shite that "represented" (they didnt play for England they just represented them) England at the world cup it was obvious they dont care about what quality they produce. When they are getting paid £100k a week from their club why should they bother in a 50/50 tackle for their country and risk a career ending injury and the end to their easy ride? No committment, no passion = no chance.

Gus knows what he is doing, he stopped us going down last season, is building HIS team around him and he has something to prove in that he was not just Wises lacky, he wants to do well so wont sign anyone he feels is not up to the job. And like has been mentioned, what have these signings so far cost us? I have it from a reliable sauce that the two argies are on 2 vuvuzelas a week and a tin of fray bentos corned beef. If they turn out crap then we pack them off back home but if even one of them turns out to be something special then we are quids in all round. Where is the difference in Gus signing unknowns and me buying a lottery ticket? A small cost in the risk but look at the rewards if it pays off.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It looks like they come from a second to last club from Argentina's version of League One or Two?

Argentina - Primera B Metropolitana - Results, fixtures, tables and news - Soccerway

Lets put this into some sort of prespective here.These two chaps came from a league which is equivalent to our Blue Square or lower.I think that says it all really in my books.

If we keep downgrading their league they will be coming from a sunday pub team by saturday.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Let's sort this "Which level are they from?" thing out.

The Argentine football league system is organised as follows: the first two leagues include clubs from the whole country, while the third to fifth leagues are divided geographically, into clubs from the Greater Buenos Aires area (which holds around a third of the country's population) and clubs from the rest of the country. See the picture for the structure. Looks to me like the old UK regional Division 3 South and Division 3 North. So the Argentine Primera B and Torneo A leagues are the equivalent of merging our League One and League Two and then splitting them into two regional leagues.

Comunicaciones are in Primera B Metropolitana - so playing at the equivalent of League One/Two here. They were promoted from Primera C in 2004-5 and have been in Primera B Metropolitana ever since. They came 19th (out of 20) in the league last year but I think relegation is based on a three year average, so neither they not the bottom team were relegated. 16th (08/09), 6th (07/08), 17th (06/07).

They are a team that would in effect be floating between League One and League Two in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_football_league_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Comunicaciones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primera_B_Metropolitana

Attachments

• argieleague.JPG
    argieleague.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 268

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

The Argentine football league system is organised as follows: the first two leagues include clubs from the whole country, while the third to fifth leagues are divided geographically, into clubs from the Greater Buenos Aires area (which holds around a third of the country's population) and clubs from the rest of the country. See the picture for the structure. Looks to me like the old UK regional Division 3 South and Division 3 North. So the Argentine Primera B leagues are the equivalent of merging our League One and League Two and then splitting them into two regional leagues.

Comunicaciones are in Primera B Metropolitana - so playing at the equivalent of League One/Two here. They were promoted from Primera C in 2004-5 and have been in Primera B Metropolitana ever since. They came 19th (out of 20) in the league last year but I think relegation is based on a three year average, so neither they not the bottom team were relegated. 16th (08/09), 6th (07/08), 17th (06/07).

They are a team that would in effect be floating between League One and League Two in the UK.

you are your bloody facts, don't you know that Gus spotted them playing in the street outside his hotel and they have never really played pro football. Come on

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
you are your bloody facts, don't you know that Gus spotted them playing in the street outside his hotel and they have never really played pro football. Come on

Actually, they were playing kerb-ball. With a rock. They've never even watched football on TV.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

The Argentine football league system is organised as follows: the first two leagues include clubs from the whole country, while the third to fifth leagues are divided geographically, into clubs from the Greater Buenos Aires area (which holds around a third of the country's population) and clubs from the rest of the country. See the picture for the structure. Looks to me like the old UK regional Division 3 South and Division 3 North. So the Argentine Primera B and Torneo A leagues are the equivalent of merging our League One and League Two and then splitting them into two regional leagues.

what league do you reckon then going by this?

P1070719.JPG

11.JPG

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Accrington Stanley?
Accrington-Stanley--Fraser-Eagle-Stadium-Gen_1068669.jpg

Aldershot?
2873843316_7efd92d1c3.jpg

Burton Albion?
a56.jpg

And so on. Not a big ground and a perennial lower league team - but the discussion was about equivalents and based on the Argie league structure, they are floating between League One and League Two. Pleanty of teams in League Two have crap grounds and tiny crowds too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here