SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Can't not be excited. Batti looks like he is comfortably both footed and has vision of all around him and seems strong too. Obviously League 1 is a different beast but let's see how they do. They're Bosmans and the squad needs strengthening.

Let's hope he doesn't do many back passes or we may have a Batti to Poke situation.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Can't not be excited. Batti looks like he is comfortably both footed and has vision of all around him and seems strong too. Obviously League 1 is a different beast but let's see how they do. They're Bosmans and the squad needs strengthening.

Let's hope he doesn't do many back passes or we may have a Batti to Poke situation.

Surely Poke to Batti would be worse? (depending on your persuasion of course)

larus

Just as we all lament Englands sad exit from the World Cup, how ironic that we sign two Argentinians in the hope of sparking that little bit of magic that may edge us in to The Championship.

Even here, in division 1 we can contribute to wiping out ANY chance of us ever winning international honours. Yes we get 2 flair Argies.... thats 2 less places for someone England qualified. We dump Jake Robinson because he dribbles and tries to beat his man..... but if they are foreign,thats o.k. thats the way they play.. I wonder how many English players are playing in the Argentinian 3rd tier ? none... and thats why we will always be losers at international level

Must admit; I had similar thoughts. We slate Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool etc for the lack of English players, yet go all weak in the knees when we sign 2 players from Argentina that we've never heard of.

I don't doubt that they'll be good; however, I hope that we can try to improve on the work of our youth system and get some decent players through it.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
If Batti scores he will be BATTIGOAL in honour of Gabriel Batistuta the Argie goal scorer.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Must admit; I had similar thoughts. We slate Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool etc for the lack of English players, yet go all weak in the knees when we sign 2 players from Argentina that we've never heard of.

I don't doubt that they'll be good; however, I hope that we can try to improve on the work of our youth system and get some decent players through it.
I thought that in professional football the idea was to get players into your first team through a variety of ways - youth team to develop talent, scouting home and abroad for other raw / 'missed' talent, paying fees for proven players, etc. Yet there seem to be some on here who think that because Gus has found a couple of prospects abroad that this is curtains for the youth team. It isn't.

Also, you can't even begin to compare us to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, et al as we are merely supplementing our primarily british squad with a few foreign additions - Gus does not look like he's trying to put out a whole team of foreigners.

Just as we all lament Englands sad exit from the World Cup, how ironic that we sign two Argentinians in the hope of sparking that little bit of magic that may edge us in to The Championship.

Even here, in division 1 we can contribute to wiping out ANY chance of us ever winning international honours. Yes we get 2 flair Argies.... thats 2 less places for someone England qualified. We dump Jake Robinson because he dribbles and tries to beat his man..... but if they are foreign,thats o.k. thats the way they play.. I wonder how many English players are playing in the Argentinian 3rd tier ? none... and thats why we will always be losers at international level

How on earth is a club in the old "Third Division" that has signed two foreign players going affect England in a detrimental way at international level? The Albion are poles apart from the Premier League, where as as far as I was aware is where all the England internationals were picked from for the current World Cup tournament.

I have listened to the debates on why the England team have failed again and these various reasons have been cited: poor youth coaching, not enough "football people" in the FA, kids play on big pitches at a young age etc etc. One of my theories is that the Premier League has a low percentage of English players playing in it, and it with it being one of the top three domestic leagues in the world surely this is one the problems we have with the England team. My rationale being that we have a league that is in the top three in the world, if we had more English players playing in the Premier League and it still continued to be in the top three then wouldn't that reflect on the quality of the English players?

This is from the Bundesliga website:

Bundesliga - Die offizielle Webseite

How many EU- and non-EU foreigners are allowed to play in the Bundesliga and the 2. Bundesliga?

The limitation on the number of non-German nationals in a team was lifted for the start of the 2006-2007 season, as stipulated by the League Association and the DFB (German Football Association) at the December 21, 2005 general meeting. In its place, UEFA's local player regulation was introduced.

This required each club to have at least four players under contract for the start of the 2006-2007 season who had come up through the youth system of a German club. That figure rose to six for the 2007-2008 season and to eight for the start of the 2008-2009 campaign. At least half of these players must have been eligible to play for the club concerned between the ages of 15 and 21.

How many foreigners play in the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga?

In all there are 977 players under professional contract at the 36 Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga clubs: 503 in the Bundesliga and 474 in the 2. Bundesliga.

47 percent of the professional players in the Bundesliga are foreigners (234 players).

171 non-German nationals are active in the 2. Bundesliga, 36 percent of the total (figures as of February 18th 2008).

BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | England player numbers at new low

BBC - Ollie Williams' blog: How the Premier League has changed

Having read Sully's comments too, I think he has a point. If English players were really good, they would be courted by the top sides in Europe. But I still feel that if we had more English players playing in the Premier League it would make any England managers life easier when it comes to selecting their squad.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not expecting these two to be in the first team to be honest. I reckon they'll be in the developmental squad. Especially given Gus's quote about it being a long trial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here