Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion sign 2 Argentinian Midfielders

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Vegster I see your point but it is not applicable to teams in lower leagues. We have taken two argentinians if we had taken 2 players who were English and released by Chelsea they are likely to never make the England team. The problem comes higher up not in league 1

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gus's job isn't to improve England's chances of a major trophy - it's to bring success to the Albion. He's S American, he knows how S Americans play and obviously believes that it could bring success to the Albion.

That's his remit. It's up to the FA grass roots and the youth academy staff to get English players up to scratch.

In my not very informed opinion.

Very true, but where do we find these English players from if even Brighton with our wage restraints, find it easier to look abroad ?

I'm not a White Van Man Patriot but its really incredible watching the collective shit thrown at the England team when we all put our clubs first and embrace foreign rejects as our saviours.Frankly we will never perform at international level unless we reverse the trend of importing foreign players.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Very true, but where do we find these English players from if even Brighton with our wage restraints, find it easier to look abroad ?

I'm not a White Van Man Patriot but its really incredible watching the collective shit thrown at the England team when we all put our clubs first and embrace foreign rejects as our saviours.Frankly we will never perform at international level unless we reverse the trend of importing foreign players.

Got to be quotas on foreign players, hasn't it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Vegster I see your point but it is not applicable to teams in lower leagues. We have taken two argentinians if we had taken 2 players who were English and released by Chelsea they are likely to never make the England team. The problem comes higher up not in league 1

Time was, we used to be a " feeder league" for the Championship and FirstDivision/Premiership.. how many English qualified players used to move up to the top through the lower leagues ?..... FirstDivision/Premiership clubs now look abroad rather than at home thus reducing transfer revenue that would keep us afloat...... how many players did we sell on to higher leagues in the old days ?.... Beeny, Stevens, Keelo..

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh, by the way - one for all you Man U fans.

Man U have not produced one (no, not one) world class player since 1993. That Youth Cup team was special but since then the world's biggest club hasn't managed to bring through one player that has set the world alight. Dunno what relevance that has to this thread but I love Man U bashing and this is a lovely one to slap the plastics with.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is great news. I want the Poyet years to be remembered as FLAIR years, I want to be talking about the Spanish-speaking boys he brought over and what they did for the club.

All good stuff, although, in reality it's the Sparrow signing that will probably turn out to be the most significant.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes Buzzer, And it should be across ALL the divisions.

Agreed. But with big provisos and much stricter policing of catchment areas for clubs. That way, we return to the good old days of it being the norm for players to move up to the top flight from the lower leagues.

Don't know, though what you do about places with high proliferations of clubs - South London, Manchester etc. (on second thoughts, who cares?)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Agreed. But with big provisos and much stricter policing of catchment areas for clubs. That way, we return to the good old days of it being the norm for players to move up to the top flight from the lower leagues.

Don't know, though what you do about places with high proliferations of clubs - South London, Manchester etc. (on second thoughts, who cares?)

I'm not sure on al the answers but, as time goes on, if the signing of foreign players keeps trickling down the leagues, the England football team will become a joke in the future......maybe its too late !:eek:

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
And how do our footballers get better ? So, Jake Robinson was no good so he is gone, so why not replace him with another English player and give him a chance ? no, we fall for the lure of thinking that someone from South America must be flair.... what a laugh ! they are flogging us THEIR Jake Robinsons because they are no use to them !

Dont think its a case of them'flogging us their Jake Robinsons'.....Gus saw them and wanted to sign them .
If they wernt any good, then im sure Mr Poyet wouldnt have brought them over here !
ITS NOT US FALLING FOR THE LURE OF S AMERICAN FLAIR..... the manager thinks they can bring something to us.
And im sure Matt Sparrow will be fantastic as well !

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
They look great and fingers crossed they settle and make up part of the League's best midfield.

Quite a few midfielders signing on one day. Will we have a Central Defender day and a Striker day too? Can't wait.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dont think its a case of them'flogging us their Jake Robinsons'.....Gus saw them and wanted to sign them .
If they wernt any good, then im sure Mr Poyet wouldnt have brought them over here !
ITS NOT US FALLING FOR THE LURE OF S AMERICAN FLAIR..... the manager thinks they can bring something to us.
And im sure Matt Sparrow will be fantastic as well !

Der ! to the Argentinian clubs, they are Jakes, compared to the limited numbers of focused,motivated English players, they are a bargain..... the defence rests.. do you want a good, competetive England team every 2 years or Brighton to be in the top 10 of Div One ? your call... no pressure..... I wouldn't blame you for selecting the latter... just don't go posting " We are shit " on European Cup/World Cup threads in the future....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Even here, in division 1 we can contribute to wiping out ANY chance of us ever winning international honours. Yes we get 2 flair Argies.... thats 2 less places for someone England qualified. We dump Jake Robinson because he dribbles and tries to beat his man..... but if they are foreign,thats o.k. thats the way they play.. I wonder how many English players are playing in the Argentinian 3rd tier ? none... and thats why we will always be losers at international level

Jake Robinson had gone as far as he could go with us. He had potential, but an England prospect? Not with us. We have tried signing English players, but other clubs also see them and can offer more in wages. We need players to form a squad, if we can't get english players because other teams sign them, then we have to look elsewhere.

It would be nice if there were plenty of great english talent but preventing foreigners from entering our game isn't going to make jake robinson better, it's not going to suddenly change leon knights attitude problems and so on.

The youth talent at our level that show any international potential will be signed out of our academy (a la gareth barry). Us giving places to foreign talent isn't going to affect the england team.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Jake Robinson had gone as far as he could go with us. He had potential, but an England prospect? Not with us. We have tried signing English players, but other clubs also see them and can offer more in wages. We need players to form a squad, if we can't get english players because other teams sign them, then we have to look elsewhere.

It would be nice if there were plenty of great english talent but preventing foreigners from entering our game isn't going to make jake robinson better, it's not going to suddenly change leon knights attitude problems and so on.

The youth talent at our level that show any international potential will be signed out of our academy (a la gareth barry). Us giving places to foreign talent isn't going to affect the england team.[/QUOTE]

oh dear, you don't get it yet, do you ? never mind.... if everyone.. Swindon, Northampton, Colchester et all took this view, how many English qualified players would there be....take the long view :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
oh dear, you don't get it yet, do you ? never mind.... if everyone.. Swindon, Northampton, Colchester et all took this view, how many English qualified players would there be....take the long view :thumbsup:

And you seemed to miss the point too. We can't afford the good english players because other english clubs are signing them at wages we can't match. Ergo, everyone isn't taking that view. And anyone who has potential for England are usually snapped up by the top sides for their youth academies.

How many of the England squad plied their trade in the lower leagues before moving up to the premier league? How many of them dropped down to league one/div 3?

The england squad isn't suffering because the lower leagues aren't giving english players a chance, it's the top sides that aren't giving them a chance.

When brighton get to the premiership I'd love to see us giving more chances to english talent, in the championship I'd love us to be giving younger talent from the premiership experience on loan with us preparing them. At league 1 level, we are not on the england team's radar. Potential england players aren't looking to play for us and won't stay with us because an offer will come in for them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
One more thing to add before bed. Poyet obviously isn't convinced they'll make it over here, otherwise they'd be on longer contracts. It's a punt on finding a rough diamond, lets hope they turn out to be just that :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And you seemed to miss the point too. We can't afford the good english players because other english clubs are signing them at wages we can't match. Ergo, everyone isn't taking that view. And anyone who has potential for England are usually snapped up by the top sides for their youth academies.

How many of the England squad plied their trade in the lower leagues before moving up to the premier league? How many of them dropped down to league one/div 3?

The england squad isn't suffering because the lower leagues aren't giving english players a chance, it's the top sides that aren't giving them a chance.

When brighton get to the premiership I'd love to see us giving more chances to english talent, in the championship I'd love us to be giving younger talent from the premiership experience on loan with us preparing them. At league 1 level, we are not on the england team's radar. Potential england players aren't looking to play for us and won't stay with us because an offer will come in for them.

In that case... international football for England will continue to be the joke it is now.... ah well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here