Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion goals that stick in the mind

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Paul Rodgers vs Rotherham United away 1999/2000, made the score 3-1 and we got a win.

Steve Melton vs Reading home, 2001/2002 again 3-1 and we got the title.

Bobby Zamora vs Bradford City away 2001/2002 it was never a goal, but the save by Ben Roberts in front of us will forever stick in the memory.

Jake Robinson's Hattrick vs Huddersfield Town away 2005(?) 3 lovely goals and a 3-0 win

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Don't know why but Virgo's equalizer against Watford in 1-1 draw at Vicarage Road when we were in the Championship always sticks in my mind, straight from a long ball I think, and just volleyed in to the top corner.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Paul Rodgers vs Rotherham United away 1999/2000, made the score 3-1 and we got a win.

Steve Melton vs Reading home, 2001/2002 again 3-1 and we got the title.

Bobby Zamora vs Bradford City away 2001/2002 it was never a goal, but the save by Ben Roberts in front of us will forever stick in the memory.

J

Best save i have seen , EVER

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Here's a vintage one...

Ian Mellor in the 7-2 beating of York City. The keeper rushed Mellor on the wing but Mellor was there first and looped it over his head. The ball bouncing gently goalwards, Wardy unselfishly saw it all the way to the goal line without taking a touch. How many of today's strikers would not take the last touch?

(Thats my recollection anyway. Probably nothing like it!)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Several for me, Paul Watson's winner in the 4th Minute of injury time and right now I can't remember who it was against, Eric Potts two in injury time against Sunderland and then Ken Beamish blasting in for distance again in injury time against Blackburn.

No idea why but I always remember those.

Oh, G. Ryan's massive run from deep against Man City just after Christmas 1979.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. And again. And again.

MIS HIT CROSS

Just because this is a new thread covering a previously discussed topic does not mean my opinion on the matter has to change.

Whats even more astounding is you recall me mentioning this in another thread, which if my memory serves me correctly was quite some time ago.

If your memory is however this good then you will recall that it was in no way shape or form a MISS HIT CROSS.

Now get of your high horse you pompous :wanker:

Norman Gall header from outside the penalty area vs Torquay @ Plainmoor in about 1970, despite this rare event we still lost 2-1.

Willie Irvine's stunner vs Aston Villa at the Goldstone; we were on ITV's "The Big Match" with Brian Moore commentating and the match highlights are on YouTube somewhere.

Peter Ward with the only goal of the game vs Millwall at the Old Den (1978?). Absolute silence with the home supporters looking for signs of any cheering, some of them proceeded to tear up their own stand/seats to get at some seated Brighton fans.

Overhead kick from Ian Mellor vs Cardiff at Ninian Park (1977?) from the edge of the six yard box but almost on the goal line. Our ony "shot" of the game, 0-1FT, absolute robbery really.

Characteristic diving bullet header from Alex Dawson aka "The Black Prince" vs Bristol Rovers at Eastville in 1970. This was from around the penalty spot and he played most of the game with a pulled hamstring (and scored again) - bloody whimps modern footballers

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was very young so please forgive me, and this is an own goal but, Terry Connor running what seemed the whole length of the pitch to do an amazing diving header for an own goal against Norwich. Goal of the season
Yep, that was absolute quality. Top corner. :lolol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't remember who it was against, and it was repeated a few times with less success...

Free kick on half way...

Big scrum of players on the far side of the box...

Danny Cullip wanders nonchalantly away from the goal, towards the opposite corner of the box, miles away from everyone else...

Watto delivers the ball onto DCs head...

DC heads it across toward 6 yard box...

Bobby heads it home...

Straight off the training ground... bish, bash, BOSH!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Steve Penney, from about 30 yards, south stand goal (when there still was such a thing), vs I think Birmingham in about 1984. We'd been all over them all game and SO richly deserved a goal which by then you thought would never come.

Like Richie Barker's great goal at Peterborough mentioned by Sim above, I had absolutely THE perfect viewing spot for both: the Bear even celebrated his right in front of us. Great times.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Off the top of my head, I vividly remember these three, er, headers:

Paul McShane at Palace (enough said!)

Guy Butters in the ultimate smash & grab 1-0 win at West Ham

Craig Maskell's flying header second in the first five minutes against Leyton Orient in that infamous 4-4 draw at The Goldstone

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Cullips header vs Chesterfield
Nathan Elder's goal at Oldham in the 95th minute to make it 1-1 after playing over 80 minutes with ten men :kiss:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here