Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion get £25,000 for Joel Lynch!!!!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
As for my teacher's pet comments, Wilkins was undeniably biased towards his former youth-team players, picking them constantly, ignoring their bad performances...exactly what the Adams-haters slate MA for in relation to Virgo.
You can't just make stuff up you know.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
In fact let's examine this claim shall we, Wilkins former youth team charges:
Sullivan - Never gave him a game even when Kuipers was injured or in the JPT.

El-Abd - One of the criticisms I had of Wilkins was that if he could play El-Abd then he would. He had a run of games at centrehalf but eventually replaced by Butters then Lynch. Had a spell in midfield too after O'Callaghan and Hammond left but a player was signed to replace him (Racon).
Elphick - Didn't actually start the season in the team but undeniably won and retained his place on merit.
Lynch - At times he was benched behind Butters but mostly if he was fit it was him and Elphick. However I fail to see how this is favouritism, as they were (are?) the best two central defenders we have.
Rents - Barely got a game and was released despite a lot of fans thinking he had something to offer.

Fraser - Bit part player last season.
Robinson - In and out of the team but effectively replaced by an outside signing (Westlake)
Cox - Played most games, but then he was our most effective creative player. Again, he was there on merit.
Hammond - Given that we have yet to replace him after a year I don't think we can call his inclusion favouritsm.
Fogden - Made a couple of appearances, got a short term contract, obviously Wilkins felt there was something there to be developed.
Chamberlain - Similar to Fogden but without the appearances.

Undeniable favouritsm, hmm, don't think so.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Sullivan - Moot point. He was third choice keeper behind Henderson and Kuipers. Kuipers played when Henderson was dropped. Then Henderson flounced and buggered off. So when Sullivan became second choice keeper, Kuipers was never injured, nor were there any JPT games.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
What about when Kuipers was injured and Flinders was brought in? Many people were calling for Sullivan to be given a chance then. But he never got a sniff, he was lucky if he even got a place on the bench. Not my idea of favouritism, but that's just me.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Perhaps the over-riding consideration from Paul Crichton was that he wasn't ready?
Wasn't it still Keeley at the time? :lol:

But yes, you're right, they obviously didn't feel he was ready, so they didn't play him. On what they felt was merit.

bigbadbonkingbob

Aug 21, 2006
Re: Lynch. He's OK as a full back, but we haven't seen him at centre half yet and I'll be slightly surprised if we do given the competition in the squad - depends what our new manager thinks, I guess. Anyway, he had an absolute horror of a game on Boxing Day. Unless he picks his game up I'd be surprised if we are prepared to pay more than a fairly small amount of money to get his services long term.

Re: Lynch. He's OK as a full back, but we haven't seen him at centre half yet and I'll be slightly surprised if we do given the competition in the squad - depends what our new manager thinks, I guess. Anyway, he had an absolute horror of a game on Boxing Day. Unless he picks his game up I'd be surprised if we are prepared to pay more than a fairly small amount of money to get his services long term.

Sounds like the same Lynch.
Rose-tinted specs are on for some viewers now that he's wanting out. The 'Jilted John effect' perhaps, but in my opinion he's worse than Elphick, who's another learner who probably won't go far unless there's a real and amazing improvement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here