Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion get £25,000 for Joel Lynch!!!!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Was he really that good for us?

Exactly. The myth that Lynch was this talent who has so much more to come is propagated on here all the time - but the actual player did very little to justify it. He had the odd good game and potential (because he's young) but showed us nothing more than that. And yet he is deified......predictable and tedious.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Great post above mine from The Large One. Didn't want to quote as would take up too much room, but well said indeed. How anyone can view it any differently is baffling.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I agree that it would be helpful to have him in the side, but why are you so quick to lay the blame at Adams' door for being 'unable to deliver this'? I know it doesn't suit your anti-Adams/pro-Wilkins agenda, but surely you have to attach some of the 'blame' for Lynch's lack of motivation to play for this club (for whatever reason) to the man himself?

As for my teacher's pet comments, Wilkins was undeniably biased towards his former youth-team players, picking them constantly, ignoring their bad performances...exactly what the Adams-haters slate MA for in relation to Virgo.

Biased towards former youth team players as opposed to to this seasons bought in big paid players that have delivered a near bottom position, your kiddin' me.

Actually I am a big pro Wilkins guy, but I have my reasons, like a 7th finish with so many local developed players, it was good for the club and the sacking and bringing in any manager was always a risk.

But I am not anti-Adams, just anti the sacking of Wilkins, however the thread was specifically aimed at Lynch and his departure.

Lynch's departure and Adams being manager is the link, Adams may well be justified in allowing this nasty troublemaker to go, but I would suspect that Adams real reason for not giving Lynch a start was that he felt that Hawkins was an improved replacement.

That seems to be a misjudgement to me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Interest (from Forest) in Joel Lynch did not materialise overnight. He seems to be one of those players (a la CKR) who is eager to move onto bigger and better things without putting in the effort of someone like Elphick.

Lynch was injured at the start of the season and Hawkins did nothing to merit being dropped. Lynch then hands in the first request. And so on....

All water under the bridge now. He doesn't want to play for us again and I expect that we have seen the last of him in the stripes.

A loss, but not enough to stop the world from spinning.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
But I am not anti-Adams, just anti the sacking of Wilkins
Really? You've never actually mentioned that before...*immolates self with boredom*

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Exactly. The myth that Lynch was this talent who has so much more to come is propagated on here all the time - but the actual player did very little to justify it. He had the odd good game and potential (because he's young) but showed us nothing more than that. And yet he is deified......predictable and tedious.

Its not the misguided opinions of many on this forum, its the professional game itself that seems to feel that he might posess the talent.

There has been undoubted interest from Premiership clubs and more recently Championship clubs.

Maybe the scouting from these clubs have unearthed a darker side to Lynch that has stopped further interest, probably more a stutter in his career.

The Championship interest has continued, including this latest deal from Forest.

So it isnt a 'myth' at all TRHK, there is real interest in the player because he does show promise and an undoubted current level of ability for at least League 1 football.

To what level he ends up, only time will tell, but to dismiss his potential is foolish and not to recognise his current worth at League 1 level even more so.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
If, as it seems, Lynch and Adams will not work together, I would rather we had let Joel stay on a deal not involving a fee which would have allowed us to recall him if/when Adams is sacked.

He is one of our best players and having him out on loan for the whole season for the price of a Ryman League forward is NOT good business.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If, as it seems, Lynch and Adams will not work together, I would rather we had let Joel stay on a deal not involving a fee which would have allowed us to recall him if/when Adams is sacked.

He is one of our best players and having him out on loan for the whole season for the price of a Ryman League forward is NOT good business.

Er... what?

We get £25,000 for a 'loan fee' - something I've never heard of before.

At the end of the season, Lynch comes back to us and he reconciles his differences. Or Forest (or someone else) buy him for a nice fat six-figure sum.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Don't strictly agree. I thought him and Elphick formed a pretty decent partnership, and I quite liked the look of him at centre-back (left-back he appeared a bit of a nightmare) - definitely a lot of potential.

However, that's not the central issue.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Er... what?

At the end of the season, Lynch comes back to us and he reconciles his differences. Or Forest (or someone else) buy him for a nice fat six-figure sum.

Paying a fee to loan someone for the season is quite normal but it does normally mean the player cannot be recalled.

My point is that, in our position, we need our best players HERE not on loan at a team in a higher division.

Also, all those people who say he is a questionable left back, I can only assume they are basing that judgement on ONE game against Mansfield when he was playing with the flu. He seems to be doing ok at left back for Forest.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have been saying on here for some time that I thought the loan system was wrong and that a fee should be set for the transfer prior to the loan period and then the parent club get 10% of that value as non returnable deposit on the player before the loan starts and the balance payable at the end of the loan. You could only then borrow players that are for sale and ones that you could afford

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Er... what?

Are you serious?

It happens quite often.I think West Ham did it over Teves or someone like that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My point is that, in our position, we need our best players HERE not on loan at a team in a higher division.

What part of 'he doesn't want to play for Brighton' passes you by?

Also, all those people who say he is a questionable left back, I can only assume they are basing that judgement on ONE game against Mansfield when he was playing with the flu. He seems to be doing ok at left back for Forest.

If you include me in that, then you assume wrong. He has a tendency to drift into the centre where he evidently feels most comfortable. Whether he has stopped that at Forest - I don't know.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Are you serious?

It happens quite often.I think West Ham did it over Teves or someone like that.

OK, OK - fair enough. I just hadn't heard of it before.

But getting £25,000 for someone who doesn't want to be here with a possibility of more dosh at the end of the season does NOT sound bad business - contrary to what someone else on here had put.

I think Tevez is possibly a bad example because that whole sorry affair involved third parties (i.e. someone other than two football clubs) when it shouldn't have, even though that practice is accepted in Argentina.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It is quite a strange arrangement as normally we would still have to stump up half his wages, but some seem to think they will now pay all of them.

Looks more like a 'pre-contract' 'first refusal' 'got there first' and 'will buy for xyz pounds' deal to me !!!!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
OK, OK - fair enough. I just hadn't heard of it before.

But getting £25,000 for someone who doesn't want to be here with a possibility of more dosh at the end of the season does NOT sound bad business - contrary to what someone else on here had put.
I agree it's a good deal.Not only we get a bit of cash for him,they pay his wages too.If he doesn't want to play for us then i hope he does well for Forest and they snap him up.I remember a few morons on here wanted him to have a shit loan spell.I don't see the logic in that.The better he plays the more money we can demand.It also puts him in the shop window in the championship.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You said Lynch could come back and reconcile his differences at the end of the season.

Why not do that now? Surely Lynch and Adams are both adults?

Well, one of them acts like an adult...

They would more likely reconcile their differences if Lynch had a shit time at Forest. But seeing as they want him for the rest of the season, and he wants to be there, I'd say the writing is on the wall.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is quite a strange arrangement as normally we would still have to stump up half his wages, but some seem to think they will now pay all of them.

Looks more like a 'pre-contract' 'first refusal' 'got there first' and 'will buy for xyz pounds' deal to me !!!!

It's highly probable that someone like Lynch would get more money at Forest than a counterpart at somewhere like Brighton purely because they pay higher wages. Therefore, whatever Lynch was on here would comfortably be within their playing budget.

I agree it does sound like - as I speculated on here yesterday - that the deal between Albion and Forest has possibly already been done.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I think perhaps people's view of the loan system has been shaped by BRIGHTON's experiences of it.

I think it is quite normal for:

a) The club borrowing the player to pay a fee.
b) The club borrowing the player to pay all the wages.

Just because we cannot often afford to do either does not mean the fact Forest can is somehow proof a future transfer is 'a done deal'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here