Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
[/b]

Beckham played a fairly active role as captain - he would take the opportunity to speak to his team mates, calm them down, encourage them etc during the heat of battle. I agree you don;t necessarily need to be a screamer as such, but you DO need to be communicative. Cullip and Oatway were the best captains in recent seasons. Dodge was ok too, although we had other natural leaders in the team when he had the armband. We have no leaders now.

I guess thats the down side to having a young side.

I would suggest forster, but I dont like having the captain as a striker

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
captain_mad.gif

argh

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Eh? I'm not trying to be funny TLO, I honestly don't knwo where you got the idea he is a playmaker?

To me a playmaker is some who gets the ball down and plays it around, their effectiveness comes from dictating play and playing killer balls.
Hammond is an attacking midfielder, his strength lies in the timing of his runs, his finishing and his ability in the air.

I would say Lampard is an attacking midfielder, Carrick is a holding player.

Currently we seem to have a Lampard type player doing a Carrick style job, and not very well.
That, among other things, is what Wilkins wants from Hammond. You wouldn't believe it the way he has been playing, would you? That's why I'm frustrated with him - it's a job he can do, but for whatever reason, he doesn't.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
That, among other things, is what Wilkins wants from Hammond. You wouldn't believe it the way he has been playing, would you? That's why I'm frustrated with him - it's a job he can do, but for whatever reason, he doesn't.

It is odd. It's almost like he is his own worst enemy.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
no way butters...He's not and has never been a leader on the pitch and this will be his last season.

I firmly believe that a captain should always be a centre midfielder as apart from the Goalkeeper, they are the only ones who can read the game from back to front.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
no way butters...He's not and has never been a leader on the pitch and this will be his last season.

I firmly believe that a captain should always be a centre midfielder as apart from the Goalkeeper, they are the only ones who can read the game from back to front.

What? Going by that logic a CB should be perfect.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Don't think Hammond has benefitted from Callaghans arrival yet, the team has, but he hasn't. He seems a little shocked to be alongside someone that not only aggressively demands the ball (every ball) all the time, but protects it, moves it, and lays it off with a reasonably high degree of success. Hammond looks like a midfielder without portfolio at the moment.

It would obviously be a radical move to give a loan player the armband, but the closest thing we've had to leadership material recently have been whing when on-loan, and Callaghan now.

Like others, I think the coaching staff need to work on Hammond to make his role clear, he's looking a bit lost at the moment.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
alright own up, who voted for el maniac?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
What? Going by that logic a CB should be perfect.

A defender thinks defensively, just as a striker thinks about attacking and scoring goals.

A central midfielders job is to support the defence and attack is therefore best placed to control and motivate the team.

How can a CB motivate a centre forward (& Vice Versa) if they are situated on completely differing playing areas of the pitch?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
A defender thinks defensively, just as a striker thinks about attacking and scoring goals.

A central midfielders job is to support the defence and attack is therefore best placed to control and motivate the team.

How can a CB motivate a centre forward (& Vice Versa) if they are situated on completely differing playing areas of the pitch?

A goalkeeper is even further away from the strikers than the defence.

A defender has to understand a strikers role and a striker has to understand a defenders role as they are constantly playing up against each other.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

May be we should have a bloke who has no on-field responsibilities.. but just shouts at the team from the touchline?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
May be we should have a bloke who has no on-field responsibilities.. but just shouts at the team from the touchline?

me me me ...pick me

:bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave:

I constantly shout at them........

angry::angry::rant::rant::rant:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
A goalkeeper is even further away from the strikers than the defence.

A defender has to understand a strikers role and a striker has to understand a defenders role as they are constantly playing up against each other.

You're right about the Goalie...I realised that as soon as I made the post :dunce:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

if he is not doing the job the manager wants, then why is he still in the team? especially when we have o'callaghan who is a far more effective playmaker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here