Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Slightly controversial, especially as no-one at the club appears to be advocating a change in captain, but some on here are concerned about Hammond's role of 'midfield playmaker' and captain. Can he still do the job effectively, or would you prefer to see someone else take over the responsibility? If so, who?

Poll to follow...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think the mistake is Hammond is not a midfield playmaker.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
In my eyes theres only 3 people who could be captain.

Hammond
Butters
Kuipers

With Butts and FDM getting on, I think Hammond is probably the right choice for captain. Maybe Forster next season?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I thought this was a test to see if we knew who the captain was

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
In my eyes theres only 3 people who could be captain.

Hammond
Butters
Kuipers

With Butts and FDM getting on, I think Hammond is probably the right choice for captain. Maybe Forster next season?

Whing and Elphick could also do it in my opinion.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If he signs then George.

If he doesnt then Elphick.

f***ing tremendous player. Dont forget Tony Adams was captain of the Arse at eighteen.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
none of the above ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hammond is the right choice, he is the oldest of the young players and would expect some of the them look up to him quite a bit.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Oh, the wit and the japery.

He plays in the advanced role in midfield, in front of O'Callaghan. There's supposed to be some kind of creativity there.

Eh? I'm not trying to be funny TLO, I honestly don't knwo where you got the idea he is a playmaker?

To me a playmaker is some who gets the ball down and plays it around, their effectiveness comes from dictating play and playing killer balls. Hammond is an attacking midfielder, his strength lies in the timing of his runs, his finishing and his ability in the air.

I would say Lampard is an attacking midfielder, Carrick is a holding player.

Currently we seem to have a Lampard type player doing a Carrick style job, and not very well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Since Oatways been out of the equation, there has been precious little real leadership in the side. A captain needs to be a shouter - someone who drives the team on, who dishes out bollockings and/or encouragement as and when required, and help organise and direct the team. I can see an element of that in O\'Callaghan, but as he is only here on loan, theres little point giving him the armband. Butters SHOULD be the man to fill this role, but he has never been very vocal and pretty much just gets on with his own game. Seems he probably just doesnt want the extra responsibility.

Hammond has no real assets in terms of being a captain. He wears the armband, and thats about it. But with there being no outstanding candidates, I suppose we;ll just have to soldier on without anyone really in the captains role, in the true sense of the word.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Butters SHOULD be the man to fill this role, but he has never been very vocal and pretty much just gets on with his own game. Seems he probably just doesnt want the extra responsibility.

QUOTE]

Butters was and no offence to the big man didnt do much of the vocal when he was.

Nor did Beckham mind you, but he led by example so you dont have to be a screaming to be a good captain.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Since Oatways been out of the equation, there has been precious little real leadership in the side. A captain needs to be a shouter - someone who drives the team on, who dishes out bollockings and/or encouragement as and when required, and help organise and direct the team. I can see an element of that in O\'Callaghan, but as he is only here on loan, theres little point giving him the armband. Butters SHOULD be the man to fill this role, but he has never been very vocal and pretty much just gets on with his own game. Seems he probably just doesnt want the extra responsibility.

Hammond has no real assets in terms of being a captain. He wears the armband, and thats about it. But with there being no outstanding candidates, I suppose we;ll just have to soldier on without anyone really in the captains role, in the true sense of the word.

Does it?

Paul Rogers was hardly in that mould, more leading by example on the pitch and with him as captain we won back to back championships.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I voted for Butters, but I think that O'Callaghan would be perfect if he were to sign perfectly.

For some reason (and I can't explain why) I don't like the idea of a loan player being captain.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I voted for Butters, but I think that O'Callaghan would be perfect if he were to sign perfectly.

For some reason (and I can't explain why) I don't like the idea of a loan player being captain.

Because it sends the wrong message out to the rest of the squad

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Butters was and no offence to the big man didnt do much of the vocal when he was.

Nor did Beckham mind you, but he led by example so you dont have to be a screaming to be a good captain.

Beckham played a fairly active role as captain - he would take the opportunity to speak to his team mates, calm them down, encourage them etc during the heat of battle. I agree you don;t necessarily need to be a screamer as such, but you DO need to be communicative. Cullip and Oatway were the best captains in recent seasons. Dodge was ok too, although we had other natural leaders in the team when he had the armband. We have no leaders now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here