Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion announce £67 million losses for 2019/20

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
To me its the death of the summer rumours about big bids for Martinez and the guy that moved to Benfica. It was probably just talk.

Also explains why the club might not want to do the charity of recalling GM from his Watford nightmare.

Also should but wont mean that people stop moaning about the £25m striker they want/demand/think they are entitled to.

Probably increases the chance of Bissouma getting sold in the summer but think that would have happened anyway.

Bollox - where's that £35million striker we need???

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
So we have gone from loosing 1/2 million per week in the Championship to 1over 1 million per week in the premier League . guess that's progress for you :shrug:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hi @ElPres great work. Is there also the case this accounting year to pile in all the exceptionals and carried forward losses / over valuations etc, i.e. get it all out in one hit, blame COVID and allow for healthy P & L for a couple of years?

There are no write downs that I can see in this year's figures/.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As a result of the latest figures the Albion have now risen to 12th in the list of all time loss making clubs in Premier League history, although could be overtaken when some more clubs release their 2020 figures.

PL Top 20 loss making clubs 1992-.jpg

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Or maybe players are not paid ridiculous salaries :moo:

They :moo: are :moo:

But I think only two things can really alter that. A collapse of the TV money bubble or the higher ups saying enough is enough.

For the latter to happen, it’ll be a case of who is the first to blink. They’ll fear that they’ll just lose access to the top players and will be demoted.

If I were in charge, post-Covid, I’d ban Sky, BT, the BBC etc from football grounds. The clubs themselves could then put matches on their own subscription service for streaming. Albion TV for us. And maybe they could share the streams of the home teams for away games.

Players’ wages would be capped at £10,000 a week, which is more than enough. Not that I’d expect most of any players to actually get that.

And the executives are wildly overpaid too.

Not that any of this will happen, of course.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How would we become sustainable. Sell off all the best players , promote youth , lower the wage structure .

Would likely end up in championship/lower where you dont get tv money + crowds prob suffer so then back to square 1 and lower.

Not sure the answer but it isn't sustainable

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It shows the importance of moving on some players.

Jahhanbakhsh is £3.4 million of the £45.6 million amortisation hit isnt he ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m not sure the fans saved our club in the 90s for it to rack up a 67 million loss just 25 years later. Many people say we need to be in the PL for financial security but I’m wondering if that’s just like a junkie justifying their next fix. For me the worrying thing is where we go from here. If the current model is unsustainable it will likely be replaced by a different ownership structure that may not be palatable with the fans.
Debt is fine as long as it can be serviced ie mortgages.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having matches taking place behind closed doors at the end of the season meant that Brighton’s matchday revenue fell by over a quarter to £13.5 million.

Albion make about £1 million per home match, and so this meant that they are likely to have a financial hit of about £18 million in 2020/21, assuming that there are no matches played before a paying audience for the remainder of the season.

Matchday income historically made up about 13% of Brighton’s total revenue in the Premier League, but it was over half of the total when the club was in the Championship.

FULL ARTICLE >>> http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-2019-20-reel-around-the-fountain/

[Tweet]1354195035265392640[/Tweet]

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1354195035265392640?s=20[/Tweet]

I've done this before, but El Pres remains the King

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Nothing we weren't expecting there anyway. Exceptional tough times cause exceptional losses. We are also in the midst of changing models from buying a PL squad to developing one. I think we need to look at the numbers in 3 year cycles rather like FFP.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Do away with the transfer window let clubs trade when they need to, would probably also stop clubs getting desperate in the last few days/hours of a window and start offering silly money in pure panic mode.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given we are getting new TVs in 1901, I don't think we are on the bones of our arse. Although I might be when I get the renewal cost in March.

It’s a lot more than new TVs. I’m still awaiting confirmation about the long awaited coat rail though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here