Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion announce £67 million losses for 2019/20

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Get some perspective fella, Barbs is still gonna pick up his £2m salary, Lallana is still going to pick up his ridiculous salary for being a sick note and your asking people to buy tat from the club shop :lolol:

Owning a football club is a hobby for millionaires don’t feel bad for them because they’ve had a tough couple of seasons.

If you wish to donate during the pandemic I’m sure you will find more worthwhile causes helping real people with real problems.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you just got whooshed by Rossyg.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think covid has highlighted the cost of modern football is out of control and out of touch with us . Sure playing football is a short career but when players are getting x 3 a week what most people get in a year it is disgusting .
during our second season at withdean I worked as a club steward- it was the only way to see the games , one of the guys I worked with earned £11grand a year driving hospital cars and his wife £9 grand a year as a part time nurse .
Berbetov was on £130 grand a week at man u - it is a ridiculous comparison and highlights that the fact that couple are worth 10 each of berbetov but he gets the cash ----- a problem of society as well I suppose .
I hope it ends the obscene amount of cash the clubs/agents/players get .

To be honest I don't really blame players. They do have short careers and if TV subscribers are prepared to throw money at the game then why shouldn't the bulk of that go to the players? Do you have the same view about pop stars or movie stars? What about the CEOs of the top companies etc etc. This thread is a great example of double standards because if you look at other threads on this board, many are crying out for TB to dip into his pocket and fund this wonder 20 goal a season striker. Well the news is he's already dipped very deep into his pocket which shouldn't really come as news!

If you're concerned about greed, listen to the Price of Football podcast and EP's comments about the so called super league where there are plans to cap players wages. A good thing you might say but then you have to ask where will all the excess money go and the answer is the owners of the clubs. American owners are slowly taking control and it will get to a stage where they may have 14 votes to push changes to the EPL through!!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think covid has highlighted the cost of modern football is out of control and out of touch with us . Sure playing football is a short career but when players are getting x 3 a week what most people get in a year it is disgusting .
during our second season at withdean I worked as a club steward- it was the only way to see the games , one of the guys I worked with earned £11grand a year driving hospital cars and his wife £9 grand a year as a part time nurse .
Berbetov was on £130 grand a week at man u - it is a ridiculous comparison and highlights that the fact that couple are worth 10 each of berbetov but he gets the cash ----- a problem of society as well I suppose .
Swap shoes for a minute are you going to turn down £100k a week contract? Or would you say to whoever was offering na I’m fine on £30k a year thanks.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The one thing that stands out in this thread is the lack of surprise that we are in this position. All clubs are still trying to operate on a reduced income so none are going to be spending money like before. Whilst clubs’ expenses continue at the level they are (and this will predominantly be wages to playing and none playing staff) the deficits will become greater and continue to build up to a level that will take an age to restore.
There was always going to be a huge problem at some stage but Covid really has brought it much earlier.
Post Covid there will be many people reassessing their priorities and I suspect that subscribing to and supporting football may not be one of them. Whilst I understand the argument for players having a short career etc, there are few occupations that pay so generously and are at odds with the real world where they earn more in a week than some earn in 20 years. In my head it can’t be justified.
As far as TB is concerned, no one should expect him to blow all his money on the club. He keeps his cards close to his chest but I suspect that he too is really feeling the squeeze of the times.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Touching belief that we can just sell our most in-demand players for huge fees. These figures show that the vast majority of clubs will be in the same position as us, nursing near unsustainable losses. We'll likely see a correction in the prices clubs are able to pay for players, so can't assume there will be as ready a market for players as there was. Thank goodness Uncle Tony started the Academy when he did. At least we'll have a steady flow of young talent to fall back on. Many clubs won't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The one thing that stands out in this thread is the lack of surprise that we are in this position. All clubs are still trying to operate on a reduced income so none are going to be spending money like before. Whilst clubs’ expenses continue at the level they are (and this will predominantly be wages to playing and none playing staff) the deficits will become greater and continue to build up to a level that will take an age to restore.
There was always going to be a huge problem at some stage but Covid really has brought it much earlier.
Post Covid there will be many people reassessing their priorities and I suspect that subscribing to and supporting football may not be one of them. Whilst I understand the argument for players having a short career etc, there are few occupations that pay so generously and are at odds with the real world where they earn more in a week than some earn in 20 years. In my head it can’t be justified.
As far as TB is concerned, no one should expect him to blow all his money on the club. He keeps his cards close to his chest but I suspect that he too is really feeling the squeeze of the times.

Like it or not, there is a limited supply of footballers of the quality that people want to watch. For example, there are 500 players named in the EPL squads. Could any of us say there are only 500 people in the country that can do our jobs? That's not even taking into account that the EPL attracts players from around the whole world. What I do agree with is your comment about the apparent lack of surprise!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Mistakes or "mistakes" were definitely done in the early era moneyball... mainly the lack of any sort of regulation. FFP came along when it was already too late, its a bit of a paper tiger. The dumb free market nonsense allowed things to spiral completely out of control and once its out of control its really difficult to push it back to some kind of sanity. But eventually it will either need to be done or elite football needs to go through a massive system change to a more Yank way of running football.. and I'd hate to see that.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
It's all project fear, have faith in the albion :dunce:

But seriously; relegation would be crippling - which is why so many people are concerned about the direction we had been heading in. Normal times would be fine, but during COVID? It's suicide for the club.

It's why we NEED to hire a finishing coach. Vastly cheaper than a new striker, a 50% increase in conversion rate would be enough to see us win the marginal games in the past we ought to have won.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's all project fear, have faith in the albion :dunce:

But seriously; relegation would be crippling - which is why so many people are concerned about the direction we had been heading in. Normal times would be fine, but during COVID? It's suicide for the club.

It's why we NEED to hire a finishing coach. Vastly cheaper than a new striker, a 50% increase in conversion rate would be enough to see us win the marginal games in the past we ought to have won.

Yeah would probably be enough to win the PL with a big fat ****ing margin actually

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
TB’s Chairman’s Statement is interesting (comforting) - clearly states no change in strategy (ie top ten remains the aim), so he clearly isn’t overly fazed by the losses (which won’t have been a surprise)

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
Yeah would probably be enough to win the PL with a big fat ****ing margin actually

Maths isn't everyone's forte, I get that.

A 50% rise in conversion rate based on current stats would mean going from: 10.09% to 15.15%. Or had 15.15% been the normal this season, we'd have scored 35 goals, not 25.

Definitely league winning.

But yes, Vaga.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The player arms race has to stop. Looks like football is unsustainable in both the PL and the Championship

Clearly.
If we have lost that much despite massive income from tv, something is badly wrong.
Wages are way out of control and a wage cap is needed although it's probably too late.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Fascinating article, El Pres. Nice title!!

I see that the transfer of Knocky wasn't completed until July 2020, so hopefully there's a nice little £10m+ upside in the current FY. Despite all the financial struggles, I was relatively reassured in the summer by the fact that we did NOT sell Ben White. And we actually spent a reasonable amount on Moder and Karbownik. However, it's clear things are pretty tough (and not just for us). Grateful that we have an exceptional owner and Board in charge.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Is there any way to run a PL club profitably on a consistent basis? Even without Covid everyone seems to make losses every year.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was fairly stressed about the Fulham game before I started reading all of this!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Time to dust of the time-honoured gag:

Q. How do you make a small fortune from owning a football club?

A. Start with a big fortune.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Touching belief that we can just sell our most in-demand players for huge fees. These figures show that the vast majority of clubs will be in the same position as us, nursing near unsustainable losses. We'll likely see a correction in the prices clubs are able to pay for players, so can't assume there will be as ready a market for players as there was. Thank goodness Uncle Tony started the Academy when he did. At least we'll have a steady flow of young talent to fall back on. Many clubs won't.

Agree with this.

There will be fewer clubs with the ability to spend big.

However, clubs in the Champions League and those owned by people with almost unlimited money will still be spending.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here