Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion announce £67 million losses for 2019/20

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m still awaiting confirmation about the long awaited coat rail though.

The coat rail was actually fully-costed and scheduled for installation this year as part of the Amex 10 Year Anniversary celebrations. However, in light of recent financial results the coat rail has been put back to 2025/6. A small hook will be provided as an interim measure and can be booked in advance (using your Fan Number plus a utility bill or other form of ID) for a nominal charge per PL match. (Cup games will be free and the coat hook will be available on a 'first come, first served basis').

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think covid has highlighted the cost of modern football is out of control and out of touch with us . Sure playing football is a short career but when players are getting x 3 a week what most people get in a year it is disgusting .
during our second season at withdean I worked as a club steward- it was the only way to see the games , one of the guys I worked with earned £11grand a year driving hospital cars and his wife £9 grand a year as a part time nurse .
Berbetov was on £130 grand a week at man u - it is a ridiculous comparison and highlights that the fact that couple are worth 10 each of berbetov but he gets the cash ----- a problem of society as well I suppose .
I hope it ends the obscene amount of cash the clubs/agents/players get .

It’s an easy point to make.

But these very top end wages have been around since the Sky deal in the 90’s.

Like it or not, these huge sums are in football. So where do you propose they go? I’d rather the money goes to the players than to the money men.

My issue would be more with unregulated agents manufacturing mega million deals and creaming off the top of them.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It shows the importance of moving on some players.

Jahhanbakhsh is £3.4 million of the £45.6 million amortisation hit isnt he ?

Jahanbakhsh was worth every penny just for optimism value, that goal and his tears. I so wanted him to do well for us. Still one of my favourite players in the current squad, I just can't help but like the guy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Jahanbakhsh was worth every penny just for optimism value, that goal and his tears. I so wanted him to do well for us. Still one of my favourite players in the current squad, I just can't help but like the guy.
Well perhaps, but if we sell him for £7 million in the summer we cover his amortisation costs going forward ie £7 million would be the break even figure we'd need... although reducing wage commitments may mean we'd accept slightly less.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Having matches taking place behind closed doors at the end of the season meant that Brighton’s matchday revenue fell by over a quarter to £13.5 million.

Albion make about £1 million per home match, and so this meant that they are likely to have a financial hit of about £18 million in 2020/21, assuming that there are no matches played before a paying audience for the remainder of the season.

Matchday income historically made up about 13% of Brighton’s total revenue in the Premier League, but it was over half of the total when the club was in the Championship.

FULL ARTICLE >>> http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-2019-20-reel-around-the-fountain/

[Tweet]1354195035265392640[/Tweet]

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1354195035265392640?s=20[/Tweet]

El Pres in your expert opinion, if fans don't return to grounds until at least this August, how many of the 92 pro clubs in this country face the real threat of going bust without help from the Government?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El Pres in your expert opinion, if fans don't return to grounds until at least this August, how many of the 92 pro clubs in this country face the real threat of going bust without help from the Government?

I think clubs will muddle through, wages in Leagues One and Two have fallen, which, along with the Premier League grants could give them breathing space.

The Championship is a basket case, but always has been, and the vanity of owners in not wanting to be seen as club destroyers may suffice.

Premier League will cope with a combination of loans and lower transfer activity.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't really know how to absorb all this, but my underlying feeling is that we are where we are because Tony Bloom is ambitious and is happy to invest his fortune in getting Brighton to the top echelons of English football. And there's not much more to it than that. I don't yet see evidence that breaking even is all that important to him at this stage, or he'd have sold first choice players by now.

All the posts that say 'we' should do this or that to get losses under control don't really mean much as there is no 'we' here, this is Tony's money and Tony's ambition and I'm just happy to enjoy the ride because I trust him not to drive the club to bankruptcy and I trust there is a plan in place if he gets hit by a bus tomorrow. The onsale value of our players dwarfs our debts.

I never expected Brighton to be a big club like this and I don't demand anything more than safe stewardship of our club.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
It’s an easy point to make.

But these very top end wages have been around since the Sky deal in the 90’s.

Like it or not, these huge sums are in football. So where do you propose they go? I’d rather the money goes to the players than to the money men.

My issue would be more with unregulated agents manufacturing mega million deals and creaming off the top of them.

Footballers get paid a lot due to supply and demand. There is a lot of demand to see top level football (mostly on TV) and there are relatively few people from the general population who are good enough to play in the EPL so supply is short.
In comparison the supply of nurses is good (compared to top level footballers) which is one reason they get paid less.

Of course it is relatively easy to argue that a nurse is 'worth' more than a footballer especially in current circumstances. It seems to me that certain free markets (top level footballers) probably need external regulation for the benefit of society. Basically cap player wages at some level and feed some of the financial benefits back to the people who watch and enjoy football.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I know all of the Premier League wages are eye watering but Liverpool and City's AVERAGE weekly wages - £144,000 and £146,000!! Absolutely frightening. Top level football will surely combust one day soon, how is that sustainable even at the biggest clubs in the world?

It’s huge but wasn’t wages the reason Liverpool didn’t sign Werner as he wanted £220k which meant all the others would expect the same thus blowing apart there already huge wage structure

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It's all project fear, have faith in the albion :dunce:

But seriously; relegation would be crippling - which is why so many people are concerned about the direction we had been heading in. Normal times would be fine, but during COVID? It's suicide for the club.

It's why we NEED to hire a finishing coach. Vastly cheaper than a new striker, a 50% increase in conversion rate would be enough to see us win the marginal games in the past we ought to have won.

Glenn Murray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I always find it interesting that Palace’s average wage bill is ‘only’ 7k a week more than ours. There is a received wisdom that their PL record is only superior to ours because of over paying wages. Really we are on a par and given that Tony continually bails the club out I’m not sure we can ever claim the moral high ground on how well our respective clubs are run.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
£7,000 a week is an extra £350,000 a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
They :moo: are :moo:

But I think only two things can really alter that. A collapse of the TV money bubble or the higher ups saying enough is enough.

For the latter to happen, it’ll be a case of who is the first to blink. They’ll fear that they’ll just lose access to the top players and will be demoted.

If I were in charge, post-Covid, I’d ban Sky, BT, the BBC etc from football grounds. The clubs themselves could then put matches on their own subscription service for streaming. Albion TV for us. And maybe they could share the streams of the home teams for away games.

Players’ wages would be capped at £10,000 a week, which is more than enough. Not that I’d expect most of any players to actually get that.

And the executives are wildly overpaid too.

Not that any of this will happen, of course.

My emphasis in your post.

Can't see the overpaid execs taking a cut. Doesn't seem that long ago that our top players were earning £40K per week. Now we are paying nearly that much each week to Barber. I hear the argument that players have a relatively short career to maximise their earning potential. Same argument can't be applied to administrators.

I presume the club will have already re-negotiated advertising / sponsorship deals as having every game televised means their products will reach a greater audience, more frequently. If advertisers products are reaching a larger audience, surely the price goes up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here