Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion after Coventry striker Simpson

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Coventry Telegraph - Coventry City FC - News - Brighton planning Robbie Simpson move

Brighton planning Robbie Simpson move
Jun 3 2009

BRIGHTON are the latest club to have expressed an interest in Coventry City striker Robbie Simpson.

The Seagulls are understood to have made inquires about the Sky Blues centre-forward, who is also wanted by League One rivals Huddersfield.

The Yorkshire club, managed by Lee Clark – a close friend of Sky Blues boss Chris Coleman – made a bid for the 24-year-old in January, along with Peterborough United, who have since secured promotion to the Championship.

But those approaches were turned down and City recently triggered a clause in Simpson’s contract enabling him to stay at the Ricoh Arena for another year.

However, with Coleman keen to recruit another striker – Leeds United’s Jermaine Beckford is at the top of his list – Simpson could find himself slipping down the pecking order at City next season.

Simpson’s decision could also hinge on the terms he is offered at Coventry and if the former non-league player can secure a better deal at a League One club, where he would be more likely to play in his preferred central striking role rather than used out on the wing.

Meanwhile, the Sky Blues are still in the hunt for Beckford but is thought Sheffield United have now entered the running for his signature.

Reports suggest that the Blades, who are managed by Beckford’s former boss at Leeds, Kevin Blackwell, are lining up a £1.5 million bid for the striker who bagged 34 goals last season.

It could spark a bidding war with City and Middlesbrough, although it is understood that no club has yet made a firm offer for the much-wanted player.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
mr-burns.jpg

Simpson, eh!?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Pretty good striker whenever I've seen him play but a Coventry supporting friend of mine really doesn't rate him.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Don't see it happening tbh

I've seen him a couple of times and wasn't impressed but he was playing out wide and he presented no real threat. His early career was as a centre forward and was clearly more effective there but in lower leagues

Have just asked my Cambridge-supporting workmate about Simpson. Said he was good for them in the Conference, but that was more through a high work rate and commitment rather than any technical ability. Sounds like another Revell (although he rates Simpson a lot higher than Revell!).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think we would benefit from having a big centre forward in our squad, and it looks like Owusu is not gonna sign... this guy could be the answer I guess...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We seem to be linked with every non-contracted player lately. You don't think it's lazy journalism by any chance?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Get Coventry Telegraph on your mobile phone
4°C - 4 kph wind
Updated 7:49am 4 June 2009:

Join the Community!
Get involved

RSS news for you | Forums
Send your stories
HomeNewsSportCoventry City FCCommunitiesVideos & PicsForum & BlogsWhat's OnLifestyleCoventry ClassifiedsMobileSitemap NewsFixturesMatch ReportsThe GossipCoventry City BlogsPlayers' columnCoventry City FC PlayersCCFC InfoFans' ForumCoventry City PicturesAndy Turner Powered by Google Site Web
Home Coventry City FC
The Gossip Brighton tight-lipped on Robbie Simpson deal
Jun 4 2009
Recommend BRIGHTON boss Russell Slade has failed to deny reports that he wants to sign Coventry City striker Robbie Simpson.

Brighton and Huddersfield Town are believed to be battling it out to sign the former Cambridge striker for a fee of around £400,000.

The Sky Blues turned down two bids for the 24-year-old in January but, with another striker high up on Chris Coleman's wanted list, Simpson's first team opportunities look limited for next season.

Brighton have ben strongly linked as a potential buyer but Slade has remained tight-lipped over his interest in Simpson.

He told The Argus: “I’m not commenting on speculation.”

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
4°C - 4 kph wind

Join the Community!
Get involved

Send your stories
HomeNewsSportCoventry City FCCommunitiesVideos & PicsForum & BlogsWhat's OnLifestyleCoventry ClassifiedsMobileSitemap NewsFixturesMatch ReportsThe GossipCoventry City BlogsPlayers' columnCoventry City FC PlayersCCFC InfoFans' ForumCoventry City PicturesAndy Turner Powered by Google Site Web
Home Coventry City FC
Jun 4 2009
Recommend BRIGHTON boss Russell Slade has failed to deny reports that he wants to sign Coventry City striker Robbie Simpson.

Brighton and Huddersfield Town are believed to be battling it out to sign the former Cambridge striker for a fee of around £400,000.

The Sky Blues turned down two bids for the 24-year-old in January but, with another striker high up on Chris Coleman's wanted list, Simpson's first team opportunities look limited for next season.

Brighton have ben strongly linked as a potential buyer but Slade has remained tight-lipped over his interest in Simpson.

Am i the only one thinking 400k is well over what we should be paying?
Three goals this season and one the season before that, hardly prolific.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
4°C - 4 kph wind

Join the Community!
Get involved

Send your stories
Home Coventry City FC
Jun 4 2009

4 goals in 60 league appeareances ... £400,000?!?!?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here