Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion after Coventry striker Simpson

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Glenn Murray must be worth at least 8 million!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
£400k with that scoring record is just plain silly money, IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
... but the press may have got that figure wrong of course!

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
He is a championship first team player and is always played on the wing by his manager so its hardly his fault about the goals scored/ game ratio really.
Would be an exciting signing IMO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He is a championship first team player and is always played on the wing by his manager so its hardly his fault about the goals scored/ game ratio really.

for £400k tho'... surely, too much?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

I'd much rather we spent £400K on someone which a PROVEN goal scoring record at this level, rather than someone who has been played out on the wing and 'might' be able to score goals up front.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'd much rather we spent £400K on someone which a PROVEN goal scoring record at this level, rather than someone who has been played out on the wing and 'might' be able to score goals up front.

Agreed. For that kind of money you could get someone proven, a winger who is naturally a winger, or a striker who has a goalscoring record. Personally a striker who had one good season in the conference and is now a winger does not warrant spending 400k imo. I am not sure if he would move down south, but i would much rather we got Danny Graham on a free from carlisle.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Agreed. For that kind of money you could get someone proven, a winger who is naturally a winger, or a striker who has a goalscoring record. Personally a striker who had one good season in the conference and is now a winger does not warrant spending 400k imo. I am not sure if he would move down south, but i would much rather we got Danny Graham on a free from carlisle.

First of all, Danny Graham would not be a free because he is under 23 and it would be taken to a tribunal, Second thing who are these proven strikers at this level that you are talking about?
Im not saying he warrants a 400k price tag but nor did Murray warrant his 300k tag really, RS & TB obviously see something in him to be interested in paying that price and I trust their judgement, I Also think that a player with experience at a higher level is always a good signing.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Yup, Danny Graham would be good - someone with a proven goal scoring record at this level, and he's FREE. I don't know how much we have to spend overall, but I'd much rather we spent that sort of money strengthening our midfield.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Simpson may well strengthen the midfield, he's been used on the wing at Coventry who is to say we wont use him on the wing as well?

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Simpson may well strengthen the midfield, he's been used on the wing at Coventry who is to say we wont use him on the wing as well?

He said he wants to play upfront, thats the only reason he wants to move because he is sick of being played out of position.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
First of all, Danny Graham would not be a free because he is under 23 and it would be taken to a tribunal, Second thing who are these proven strikers at this level that you are talking about?
Im not saying he warrants a 400k price tag but nor did Murray warrant his 300k tag really, RS & TB obviously see something in him to be interested in paying that price and I trust their judgement, I Also think that a player with experience at a higher level is always a good signing.

Fair enough, I didn't know he was under 23. But he didn't come through their youth system, he came through Middlesbrough's, and so they wouldn't get much for him at a tribunal. Proven strikers at this level who we're talking about? ... someone like Danny Graham! Murray at least had a proven goalscoring record in League 2. We loaned loads of players last season with experience at a higher level, and most of them were crap.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Fair enough, I didn't know he was under 23. But he didn't come through their youth system, he came through Middlesbrough's, and so they wouldn't get much for him at a tribunal. Proven strikers at this level who we're talking about? ... someone like Danny Graham! Murray at least had a proven goalscoring record in League 2. We loaned loads of players last season with experience at a higher level, and most of them were crap.

Graham is hardly proven 29 goals in 89 appearances for Carlisle, and IMO I'd rather have a player who has been consistently starting for a championship side than any other player in this league.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Graham has 15 goals this season in a struggling team, 15 last season, and the year before that he got 7 in 11 appearances, id say that was a proven record, far more than simpson. I know he wouldnt be free, but the fee wouldnt be 400k. There are many strikers who we could bring in for 400k, considering we only paid 300k for murray, we could bring in someone like Bishop, le fondre or holt.
Out of interest, has Akinfenwa left northampton? or is he out of contract?

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Graham has 15 goals this season in a struggling team, 15 last season, and the year before that he got 7 in 11 appearances, id say that was a proven record, far more than simpson. I know he wouldnt be free, but the fee wouldnt be 400k. There are many strikers who we could bring in for 400k, considering we only paid 300k for murray, we could bring in someone like Bishop, le fondre or holt.
Out of interest, has Akinfenwa left northampton? or is he out of contract?

I really rate Akinfenwa. He was one of the most effective forwards I saw at Withdean last season and he was Northampton's best player by a mile until he was sent off. I actually think that had he not been sent off they would have won because he was battering our defence.

He would be a good signing as, while not the biggest, is definitely the kind of bustling centre-forward we are after and would compliment our current strikers well. I'm sure some will say we should be after better now we are 'rich' though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No way is Simpson worth £400k.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Nice to see NF9 getting round his posting ban with his second account as Wacky Racer again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here