Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Mullery

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Any one hear Alan Mullery on SCR this morning? About to do a couple of book signings for his new autobiography at Brighton and Horsham tomorrow. Described his years at Brighton as the best of his career, and as far as whether working for the Seagulls or the Eagles was concerned there was no contest. Alan Mullery - legend! :clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hardly has a good word to say about us nowadays - oh, until he has a book signing down here. Funny that.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Our most over-rated manager. Had far more money to spend than any other in the Albion's history. Even his best signing, Lawrenson, was suggested by the players.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
mona said:
Our most over-rated manager. Had far more money to spend than any other in the Albion's history. Even his best signing, Lawrenson, was suggested by the players.

you dont know how far wide of the mark you are there.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Useless, senile c**t.

You can tell everyone hates him at Sky. I'm surprised that they persist with him.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
What does he do for football these days. Mind you what did he do for football back then. NOTHING. Useless T**T

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
paulie said:
Useless, senile c**t.

You can tell everyone hates him at Sky. I'm surprised that they persist with him.

He should use that as a quote on the jacket of his new book :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Croydonbloke said:
What does he do for football these days. Mind you what did he do for football back then. NOTHING. Useless T**T

...and that one

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Asking the players who was the most difficult central defender they had played against the previous season seems a bloody good idea, especially if you then have the money to sign him. Lawrenson then went on to become the best player to pull on an Albion shirt in my time watching them, so the players were spot on. Shame we haven't got the dosh to ask the players and sign their recommendations again.

Getting the Albion promoted twice in three years and then to survive in Div 1 makes him one of our best managers imo :shrug:

Best time EVER watching the Albion as well.

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Icy Gull said:
Asking the players who was the most difficult central defender they had played against the previous season seems a bloody good idea, especially if you then have the money to sign him. Lawrenson then went on to become the best player to pull on an Albion shirt in my time watching them.

Getting the Albion promoted twice in three years and then to survive in Div 1 makes him one of our best managers imo :shrug:

Best time EVER watching the Albion as well.

Agreed... I don't care what he's said and done since, 1976-80 were the best years in Brighton's history and he was the manager through it. No one can take that away from him.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Agreed... I don't care what he's said and done since, 1976-80 were the best years in Brighton's history and he was the manager through it. No one can take that away from him.
Spot on. I too am a bit pissed off that like Lawrenson he's not exactly been an unpaid cheerleader for us in the media - but perhaps the way he was treated by the club during his 2nd spell may have left some bitterness.

However nothing can detract from those years. 25000+ crowds at the Goldstone, the old Seagull Specials for away trips, a Chairman with ambition (who, yes, overeached himself a bit), decent, skilful players and someone who was reckoned to be one of the brightest young managers in the game. *Sigh* If you had told me on the train coming back from Newcastle in 1979 that in 20 years time we'd be back in the lower divisions and playing in front of a mere 6000 odd at Withdean Stadium of all places - well I don't know what I'd have done. I certainly wouldn't have believed you.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Brovian said:
Spot on. I too am a bit pissed off that like Lawrenson he's not exactly been an unpaid cheerleader for us in the media - but perhaps the way he was treated by the club during his 2nd spell may have left some bitterness.

However nothing can detract from those years. 25000+ crowds at the Goldstone, the old Seagull Specials for away trips, a Chairman with ambition (who, yes, overeached himself a bit), decent, skilful players and someone who was reckoned to be one of the brightest young managers in the game. *Sigh* If you had told me on the train coming back from Newcastle in 1979 that in 20 years time we'd be back in the lower divisions and playing in front of a mere 6000 odd at Withdean Stadium of all places - well I don't know what I'd have done. I certainly wouldn't have believed you.

What he said:thumbsup:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
mona said:

Took us from the 3rd divison to the 1st for the first time in our history he put albion on the map

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
He will be at the club shop to sign copies, but its Saturday 14th October and I will be heading to delightful Scunthorpe.

Mullery was a great manager, yes he inherited a great squad from mainly Peter Taylor, but he got the best out of the players.

It was a shame he bad mouthed the club, but I think he was treated rather shabily when he returned for his second spell.

I will be buying the book and look forward to reading about the glory days at the Albion.

Mr Blobby

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here