Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins thinks he is going win The Champions League :)

Chunk

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
From BBC ( BBC Sport - Sportsday - London Grand Prix) 16:32

Southampton manager Nigel Adkins believes the
newly promoted Premier League side will soon be
challenging for Europe and ultimately the
domestic title.
He says: "What we've got to do is make sure
we're ambitious in the Premier League and not
just go there and think 'oh, well if we can just get
enough points to stay up then that will be
successful'. We've got to drive on, strive to be
the best and Europe is obviously the goal."

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Haha watch them get relegated.

No chance of Southampton being relegated. They have the crowds and they have the financial backing.

I expect them to be in and around the top half of the table next season. Hopefully this will be us in a few years.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Where does it say in any of the above that he thinks he's going to win the Champion's League?

Exactly.
Adkins is just saying what really should be every professional football clubs greatest goal/achievement.
Some people on here with their 'journalism' make The Argus look good.

Chunk

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Apologies, my interpretation of comment is that Mr Adkins thinks he will get Southampton to be the best team in Europe and therefore win the CL.

The thread title was for humour and impact.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Apologies, my interpretation of comment is that Mr Adkins thinks he will get Southampton to be the best team in Europe and therefore win the CL.

The thread title was for humour and impact.

Err, failed on both counts then!

larus

You know I just hope that when we go up Gus says he wants us to minge about the bottom four forever like Wigan.
Too bloody right. Forget the quote about 'keeping up'. He's achieved back-to-back promotions, and went up as champions. It shows ambition; he may never achieve, but guess what, if you never try to succeed, you never will.

Saying that, I will have a chuckle if they get relegated...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
No chance of Southampton being relegated. They have the crowds and they have the financial backing.

I expect them to be in and around the top half of the table next season. Hopefully this will be us in a few years.

Unfortunately they don't have the players or the required style of play to stay up. Very few teams win in the premiership by playing hoof ball, they need to drastically improve just to get a 2nd season

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Don't shoot me but I do like Southampton and I've been following them closely since League 1.
I think they will stay up and do well this season if Lambert continues to impress.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Too bloody right. Forget the quote about 'keeping up'. He's achieved back-to-back promotions, and went up as champions. It shows ambition; he may never achieve, but guess what, if you never try to succeed, you never will.

I though Reading where champions?

Chunk

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand

Agree.. would want Gus to say the same and have the same ambition, and to be fair Adkins has done a great job.... but a bit of banter on some of the things Adkins said over the last couple of years has been keeping NSC entertained.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Their crowds are not of the size which will maintain a Premier place in the long run.

I expect them to struggle and go down. I rate Adkins as he acheived a lot with very little rather than a crap manager cruising on a good squad.

From what I read from one of his comments about keeping at least 6 first teamers he is becomming delusional and will get found out in the premeir league. He needs at least 8 quality players which he wont get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here