Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins thinks he is going win The Champions League :)

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
He's just showing ambition and being positive - what's wrong with that?
I used to live just outside Southampton for quite a few years, so still have a soft spot for them; watched St. Mary's being built and the rivalry with the Pompey thugs was just amazing at times!

Having said that, there's something about him that makes my skin crawl... can't put my finger on it...

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Relegation please

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
All these established top-flight teams who fall from grace soon gravitate back to their natural place in football's pecking order. I mean, they don't stay pissing around in Division 3 for ever.

Case in point being the Saints. It's been a barren few years for them but here they are: cannon fodder for the rest of the Premiership once again.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Rodriguez for £8m has to be the worst bit of business of the summer. If that's what they've blown the best part of their budget on and are pinning their hopes on then they're in for a struggle.

Their best hope is for enough 'momentum' points early in the season to see them through.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
It's good to have ambition.

If we go up and the Gus says "I think we will come straight back down to the Championship where we belong" everybody would go ape.

Good on him for wanting to be the best. They have shit loads of money so it could happen.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I rate Adkins as he acheived a lot with very little rather than a crap manager cruising on a good squad.

Wait what? They had an enormous budget both in L1 and then the championship! Definition of crap manager cruising on a good (not squad as bought alot true but) budget. Wasn't one centre back (Portugese lad) on similar wages to our entire first eleven in L1? Plus they had about 6 big money strikers so most of them sat doing nothing on bench in champ?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Wait what? They had an enormous budget both in L1 and then the championship! Definition of crap manager cruising on a good (not squad as bought alot true but) budget. Wasn't one centre back (Portugese lad) on similar wages to our entire first eleven in L1? Plus they had about 6 big money strikers so most of them sat doing nothing on bench in champ?

We had to rebuild an entire squad in League 1. We spent £1million on Fonte, £1million on Lambert, £400k on Hammond, £200k on Puncheon, £200k on Barnard, £150k on Seaborne, £100k on Martin and got Murty, Jaidi, Harding, Connolly Otsembor on a free.

We then bought Richardson (£400k), Dckson (£150k), Guly (£300k), Chaplow (£50k), Stephens (£150K) plus Butterfield as a free transfer.

Total: Circa £4million rebuilding the squad.

Championship we bought Cork (£750k), Hooiveld (£1.2million), Sharp (£1.8million), Fox (1.7million), De Ridder (£750k) and Lee on a free transfer.

Ye we had a large budget, but not exactly over the top.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
We had to rebuild an entire squad in League 1. We spent £1million on Fonte, £1million on Lambert, £400k on Hammond, £200k on Puncheon, £200k on Barnard, £150k on Seaborne, £100k on Martin and got Murty, Jaidi, Harding, Connolly Otsembor on a free.

We then bought Richardson (£400k), Dckson (£150k), Guly (£300k), Chaplow (£50k), Stephens (£150K) plus Butterfield as a free transfer.

Championship we bought Cork (£750k), Hooiveld (£1.2million), Sharp (£1.8million), Fox (1.7million), De Ridder (£750k) and Lee on a free transfer.

Ye we had a large budget, but not exactly over the top.

It's not just the transfer fees though, is it? It's fairly common knowledge you pay big wages.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Apologies, my interpretation of comment is that Mr Adkins thinks he will get Southampton to be the best team in Europe and therefore win the CL.

The thread title was for humour and impact.

you failed with both of those

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

That is massive in terms of League One. I mean astronomic.

But not in terms of the Championship and Premier League.

Jan 12, 2012
I'll think they'll do ok, they seem to be buying all the good young talent from the championship, similar to Norwich. With a full house cheering them on each week, I'm sure they won't struggle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here