Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins on Saints Player

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Not only racist [foreign mentality?] but also having a pop at the ball-boys/girls.

What a strange man.

As for Saints seeing us next season, I'd be surprised to see him again; they'll want a manager that can take them to the next level, and that isn't Mr Adkins imho.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I think giving us a guard of honour would just have spurred the SCC players on, and the fact that they aren't will probably spur our players on, so should work in our favour.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was a tweet saying that Brighton played the first game after SCC had won the JPT last season and we didn't give them a guard of honour, so why should they? I kid you not.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
To be honest, it does frustrate me how easily Murray goes down in the box.

The imaginary yellow card thing is something that frustrates me as well.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The funny thing is, virtually all our penalties this season have been clear cut. The only one that springs immediately to mind as soft was at Rochdale a couple of weeks ago. We get in the box so much it's inevitable that teams will commit fouls.

The ball boys thing is really scraping the barrel though :lolol: with our record of conceding late goals I've been shouting at the ball boys plenty of times not to give the bloody thing back so quickly, so I rather think old Nigel is just making that one up to give himself another imaginary obstacle to overcome.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
that 'foreign mentality' comment winds me up. Just like Clarke up at Huddersfield. Glad Gus called him a hypocrite. It's alright for good honest anglo saxon types to ball and scream at the ref but when a 'foreign type' gestures towards the man in black it's some kind of underhand dirty ploy.

Hands up who hasn't screamed 'REFEREE!!!!' when there's been a foul on your own player?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I just hope there's no egg on face after tomorrow............what'll happen on here should, heaven forbid, we lose? Yes, Adkins is a cock, but if you lot didn't bite, he might have shut up well before now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For those of you with a Seagulls World account you can hear his pre-match thoughts here: Southampton | Player | Latest News | Gaffer Expects Brighton Professionalism

Far, far to much said to paraphrase but he's pretty complimentary to us really.

"They've done great, congratulations to Brighton, they've gone and got themselves champions a few games before the end of the season and deservedly so, they've been consistant all over the course of the season and you have to be that if you want to be the champions, so well done to Gus and the players they've worked very hard to put themselves in that situation".

He also appears to reference his comments from earlier in the season,

"We're expecting a very tough game, its gonna be a great atmosphere... they've been waiting to get to this new stadium and what a fitting way they've gone to go and win the division... obviously you try and say a few comments and what have you, "I wanna win the division" right, simple as that and you try and do a few things to give yourselves the opportunity to win it, just the same as Gus does with his team, but they've gone and won it and you have to say well done, enjoy it and look forward to next season".

Asked whether there is any needle going into the match following antics at St Marys and he says, "Na, not at all, listen thats what you do to try and win games of football isn't it. We'll go to Brighton at the weekend, the ball boys will be existant then non-existant, they've done it all season, everyone's complained about it, get on with it, that's football, thats life, they'll obviously try jump up and down and you know, is that the foreign mentality that goes on trying to get, you're highlighting that simply because they tried to get Morgan Schniderlan booked or sent off, they're the antics that go on, they've done it all season, plenty of managers have complained about it, get on with it, thats football, thats life, try not to get wound up about it, they've had more penalties than many teams in the division, its about winning games of football, they've gone and won, so whichever way you try and do it theres different ways to skin a cat, there's different ways to go and win games of football, they've had that winning mentality this season."

I'm sure some will take that as a dig, I don't really, it is as he says, football, get on with it.

He does go on to say they wont give us a guard of honour as they didnt do it for Leicester when they won the division and its not a recognised tradition in his eyes.

(a) The foreign mentality comment IS a (xenophobic) dig...
(b) The guard of honour IS a long-standing footie tradition, and should be observed... I hope our players react to the lack of one, in a way that ensures our victory...

Adkins = clueless, arrogant physio...

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
I just hope there's no egg on face after tomorrow............what'll happen on here should, heaven forbid, we lose? Yes, Adkins is a cock, but if you lot didn't bite, he might have shut up well before now.

Someone will post a picture of the league table, and it'll all be forgotten about very quickly because we're CHAMPIONS

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure I agree with that. He obviously hasnt said we dont have skill. He's mentioned things that we've used to our advantage. I bet if you asked him, and any other manager, there's things they try to do outside of on the pitch skill to win games, wetting the pitch or letting the grass grow longer, all these sorts of things to give your side an advantage.

Ask yourself this... why didn't he credit our skill?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He's just a puppet to his superiors. He comes across as the teachers pet in the classroom, licking the arse of his teachers (or in his case the owners).

Southampton are not a big club, I certainly dont see them as a big club, and never have done. In fact, Id put them on par with the likes of Blackpool, or WBA., or dare I say it, even the Palace.

I also hate the way people use the word "arrogance" when referring to Adkins and a small section of thier fans who spout crap on here. DELUSIONAL is a better word.

How about delusional arrogance? Is that OK with you!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
True.

Some of there fans weren't so keen on Adkins at first. I'm not getting into this scoring points lark as we have completed the job fair and square.I don't get why people get so worked up over some throw away comments.

Because they are not throwaway!

They REPEATEDLY show their arrogance...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tell you what, rather than micro analyse Mr Adkins' comments let's see how we both fare on Saturday.

Tell you what, we are champions... we don't need Saturday to prove we are the best team in L1 by a long, long way...

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
whilst I think there's been a few too many threads on them recently, I also think some fans are getting a bit precious with the 'It makes us look tin pot' attitude.

That 'are we keeping up song' last week was brilliant.

It is our job, our DUTY, as football fans, to ram the words of any opposition, right back down their throats. It's what it's all about!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think, as a Saints fan it is easy to accept that NA says things without thinking sometimes, and has given you guys a bit of entertainment. The whole "keeping up" rubbish for example.

A lot of it is media looking for a story though, I have it on good authority that NA and Poyet are friends off the pitch, and NA had long since phoned Poyet personally to congratulate him. I do think we should be giving you guys a guard of honour tomorrow, and not sure why we aren't(although if I was being facetious I would point out that we played you in our first game after the JPT final last season), but if NA has given his congratulations, perhaps one isn't necessary and Poyet his happy with that.

The "cup final" stuff, is of course over the top, but, at the want of being unpopular, isn't irrelevant and is the downfall of having the monkey on our back of having our stadium and recent top flight past. No matter what they say, some teams at this level do treat playing us as a big deal. Has that made any difference to our finishing position this season? No.

Do I think we would have given you a stronger challenge had we had NA from day one. Yes. Undoubtedly. I was not a big fan of Pardew anyway, our pre-season was disastrous, we had a terrible start and then the spell under Wilkins was ridiculous. Do I think had we had NA from the start we would have beaten you to the title? No. Your consistency has been fantastic, you are deserved champions and no amount of speculation or managerial media crap will take that away from you. I do think our 2nd place may have been cemented by now though.

The beauty of this "thing" that has developed between the two clubs is that it has made this season interesting, and what's more, I think both clubs are better equipped than the bottom half of the Championship for next season (should we go up).

It also makes Saturday more interesting, you guys have nothing to play for, but I still think your manager and fans still think you have something to prove against us.

Anyway, let's hope it is a good contest, it should be, these are the two best footballing teams in the division, differing styles but with an array of good players between them. I hope we win of course, but there will be no shame in losing and if all goes to plan we will both be pushing on in a higher division next season, and can renew hostilities with two other clubs.....

Thank you... sense at last, and more than some of our own fans, unfortunately...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It also makes Saturday more interesting, you guys have nothing to play for, but I still think your manager and fans still think you have something to prove against us.

So that deluded physio thinks we got where we were by cheating. Why oh why oh why can those idiots from the west not just admit that the best and most consistent side won the league?

And I don't totally agree with gwc, I think this throw away line is patronising. Get something through your thick Southampton skulls... WE HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE TO YOU!

Social Sausage

Apr 17, 2011
So that deluded physio thinks we got where we were by cheating. Why oh why oh why can those idiots from the west not just admit that the best and most consistent side won the league?

And I don't totally agree with gwc, I think this throw away line is patronising. Get something through your thick Southampton skulls... WE HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE TO YOU!

You lot are really grating on me again. Don't listen to Adkins, he's winding you up and ... surprise, you're biting.

You'll find that at least 99.9% of our fanbase have accepted that you've been the best team, the most consistent and have, exhaustively I might add, congratulated you. Well done. How many pats on the back do you need?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Have to say, having checked out that video expecting more than a little posturing and arrogance from Adkins, I emerged thinking that he'd made some very decent, appreciative comments about the Albion, and Gus.

What do you expect - Adkins to tell all those paying Saints fan viewers that his club are unable to match Brighton and might as well chuck away another three points tomorrow? If the roles were reversed, what would you expect Gus to say?

Fair play to the bloke, I reckon that away from the cameras Adkins is very happy to give Gus full credit - before buying him a well-deserved cerveza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here