Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins on Saints Player

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
the trying to get players booked etc is my only negative thing to say about our season, if i was asked to name one.

It winds me up, we do it quite a lot. Calderon is a good one for waving the imaginery card, other players do it to. Look at Walsall when Ledesma got sent off, Elphick was straight in there telling him where to go. Then there is El Abd and his "injuries"

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
the trying to get players booked etc is my only negative thing to say about our season, if i was asked to name one.

It winds me up, we do it quite a lot. Calderon is a good one for waving the imaginery card, other players do it to. Look at Walsall when Ledesma got sent off, Elphick was straight in there telling him where to go. Then there is El Abd and his "injuries"

Quite. We are not perfect.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Adkins for me is a manager full of sound bites. But TBH I dont care as long as he gets us up.

At the end of the day he'll just say what the fans want to hear, and at the time the top spot was still achievable. But Adkins wouldnt have said it if he knew this would happen:

NewPicture1.jpg

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
f*** me, Adkins loves his soundbites, what a bore. Don't say what you can say in a sentence when you can say it in 10 sentences talking round yourself in soundbites.

The interviewer doesn't help though with 6 minutes worth of questions focussed on Brighton.

I can't wait until this game is over so all this tediousness ends.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Maybe we've had more penalties because we spend so long with the ball in the opponents area? Just a thought.

..and because our forwards have been fouled in the box more often because they know we are going to score otherwise (and will probably miss the pen!)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I hope we get a penalty Saturday!,we must be due one,we havn't had one in 2 games.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Lets be fair given the resources and expectation Southampton have massively underachieved this season. It is therefore no wonder NA and everyone associated with the club is scrambling around for possible excuses to justify why they are not champions and are still battling for automatic promotion.

However these are not our concerns so why Southampton struggle to get their heads around our mind blowing domination of the league lets just get on with celebrating and enjoying what has been an incredible season

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent
Lets be fair given the resources and expectation Southampton have massively underachieved this season. It is therefore no wonder NA and everyone associated with the club is scrambling around for possible excuses to justify why they are not champions and are still battling for automatic promotion.

However these are not our concerns so why Southampton struggle to get their heads around our mind blowing domination of the league lets just get on with celebrating and enjoying what has been an incredible season

If we get automatic promotion, we haven't massively underachieved, it is the only target. Was expectation higher? Perhaps, but some of us have supported Saints far to long to expect anything.

I just hope that NA and NC realise that if it is hard to get out of League One, the Championship is a thousand times harder.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Much as Adkins has a record of getting out of this division, doesn't he have quite a good record of coming straight back down again :laugh:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would live it, just live it, if we beat them. The guy is s complete and utter cock of the highest order.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I think, as a Saints fan it is easy to accept that NA says things without thinking sometimes, and has given you guys a bit of entertainment. The whole "keeping up" rubbish for example.

A lot of it is media looking for a story though, I have it on good authority that NA and Poyet are friends off the pitch, and NA had long since phoned Poyet personally to congratulate him. I do think we should be giving you guys a guard of honour tomorrow, and not sure why we aren't(although if I was being facetious I would point out that we played you in our first game after the JPT final last season), but if NA has given his congratulations, perhaps one isn't necessary and Poyet his happy with that.

The "cup final" stuff, is of course over the top, but, at the want of being unpopular, isn't irrelevant and is the downfall of having the monkey on our back of having our stadium and recent top flight past. No matter what they say, some teams at this level do treat playing us as a big deal. Has that made any difference to our finishing position this season? No.

Do I think we would have given you a stronger challenge had we had NA from day one. Yes. Undoubtedly. I was not a big fan of Pardew anyway, our pre-season was disastrous, we had a terrible start and then the spell under Wilkins was ridiculous. Do I think had we had NA from the start we would have beaten you to the title? No. Your consistency has been fantastic, you are deserved champions and no amount of speculation or managerial media crap will take that away from you. I do think our 2nd place may have been cemented by now though.

The beauty of this "thing" that has developed between the two clubs is that it has made this season interesting, and what's more, I think both clubs are better equipped than the bottom half of the Championship for next season (should we go up).

It also makes Saturday more interesting, you guys have nothing to play for, but I still think your manager and fans still think you have something to prove against us.

Anyway, let's hope it is a good contest, it should be, these are the two best footballing teams in the division, differing styles but with an array of good players between them. I hope we win of course, but there will be no shame in losing and if all goes to plan we will both be pushing on in a higher division next season, and can renew hostilities with two other clubs.....

It's a bit sad that the most intelligent post on this thread should come from a SCC fan. I will however be abusing Squirrel Nutkin and Hammond.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I think, as a Saints fan it is easy to accept that NA says things without thinking sometimes, and has given you guys a bit of entertainment. The whole "keeping up" rubbish for example.

A lot of it is media looking for a story though, I have it on good authority that NA and Poyet are friends off the pitch, and NA had long since phoned Poyet personally to congratulate him. I do think we should be giving you guys a guard of honour tomorrow, and not sure why we aren't(although if I was being facetious I would point out that we played you in our first game after the JPT final last season), but if NA has given his congratulations, perhaps one isn't necessary and Poyet his happy with that.

The "cup final" stuff, is of course over the top, but, at the want of being unpopular, isn't irrelevant and is the downfall of having the monkey on our back of having our stadium and recent top flight past. No matter what they say, some teams at this level do treat playing us as a big deal. Has that made any difference to our finishing position this season? No.

Do I think we would have given you a stronger challenge had we had NA from day one. Yes. Undoubtedly. I was not a big fan of Pardew anyway, our pre-season was disastrous, we had a terrible start and then the spell under Wilkins was ridiculous. Do I think had we had NA from the start we would have beaten you to the title? No. Your consistency has been fantastic, you are deserved champions and no amount of speculation or managerial media crap will take that away from you. I do think our 2nd place may have been cemented by now though.

The beauty of this "thing" that has developed between the two clubs is that it has made this season interesting, and what's more, I think both clubs are better equipped than the bottom half of the Championship for next season (should we go up).

It also makes Saturday more interesting, you guys have nothing to play for, but I still think your manager and fans still think you have something to prove against us.

Anyway, let's hope it is a good contest, it should be, these are the two best footballing teams in the division, differing styles but with an array of good players between them. I hope we win of course, but there will be no shame in losing and if all goes to plan we will both be pushing on in a higher division next season, and can renew hostilities with two other clubs.....

And at this point the thread should end... Sums everything up perfectly!

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010

Absolutely agree with this. I quite like Southampton, other than Hammond, and find Adkins foolish comments no more than quite amusing. Next season, I'm sure they will be in the Championship, and good luck to them. With Palace and Portsmouth, and maybe even West Ham in the league, they really won't be on our radar and there will be plenty more 'arrogant' teams to worry about.

Agreed, but El-Abd has been over exaggerating injuries way before Poyet came onto the scene, I remember him going down in an embarrassing fashion during the Wilkins era.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here