Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins on Saints Player

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Let's not forget he is speaking on saints player.The more he speaks the more motivation our players will get.
I'm glad he is questioning our ball boys,how many penaltys we have had & the fact he won't give a guard of honour.

Is this man totally stupid or is he following instructions.Why would he want to motivate a team who have nothing to play for.

THANKYOU NIGEL ADKINS

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's a common theme on their boards, reminds of Stalin erasing people from official photographs. They are OBSESSED with the stats post Pardew.
We need to gently point out that even if the season had started on September 12, when Adkins took over, we'd still be TEN points ahead of them (having played one more game). Even Stalinist revisionism can't change that fact.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Nigel - This Is Why We Play
Posted on: Thu 21 Apr 2011

Nigel Adkins says the position Saints are in at this stage of the season is what makes football so special.

The gaffer has promotion in his team's sights, and the five remaining games of the campaign are what his players are in the game for.

"It's an exciting time of the season and we are embracing the games that are coming up," he told Saints Player.

"It's so exciting. This is what you are in football for, experiences like this! I would rather be at this end of the division than at the bottom end of the division because we are trying to win things and get to the next level.

"We are constantly winning games of football and these are exciting times.

"The object is that we need to get this magnificent football club to the next level, the infrastructure is in place to do that.

"When I came here we were 22nd in the division, I'm not sure how many points we were behind Brighton at the time but we needed to move this club forward and I think we have done that. We have won games consistently and everyone has a smile on their face at this football club, we are enjoying what is going on and we are in a position where we have five games to go."

A trip to Champions Brighton represents a top two battle, something Adkins knows all about from his previous promotion campaigns.

"They have done great, congratulations to Brighton because they have got themselves champions a few games before the end of the season and deservedly so. They have been consistent throughout the course of the season and you have to do that if you want to be champions, so congratulations to Gus and the players.

"I've been there with Scunthorpe, when we won the division by six points, and I know that you still have to work hard. You may have won it and the celebrations may still go on, but the players know that they have to go out and play well, and I'm sure Brighton will be very professional in that regard.

"We expect a tough game, and it will be a great atmosphere. I said to the supporters at Scunthorpe when we won the division that they had a chance to go out and sing 'we are the champions' - the Brighton fans have had to wait a long time to get to their new stadium and they have got promoted now so they should go out and enjoy everything that is going on.

"I wanted to win the division, you can come up with things that try and give you that opportunity to do that, in the same way that Gus has done, but they have done it and congratulations to them, enjoy it and look forward to next season."

The game itself has all the makings of a classic encounter, although the manager is aware of the variables that the home side have used to their advantage throughout the season, as they did in the reverse fixture at St. Mary's in November.

"We will go to Brighton at the weekend and we know that the ballboys will be existent and then non-existent because they have done it all season and everyone has complained about it. You just have to get on with it because that is football, and that's life.

"They will try and jump up and down but that might just be the foreign mentality and they tried to get Morgan Schneiderlin booked at our place by doing just that. They have done it all season and plenty of managers have complained about it but you just have to get on with it, that's life.

"You can't get wound up by it. They have had more penalties that any other team in the division, but as I say, it is about winning games of football and they have gone and won. Whatever way you try and do it, there are different ways to skin a cat and there are different ways to win a game of football, and they have had that winning mentality this season.

"I said it weeks ago that there are plenty of twists and turns to come, it is about keeping calm and having a level head and just chipping away. That's what we had to do against Bristol Rovers, it can be difficult because some people might think that we should go and beat them by 10 because they are at the bottom of the table, but that doesn't happen in English football!"

Southampton | News | Latest News | Latest News | Nigel - This Is Why We Play

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's a common theme on their boards, reminds of Stalin erasing people from official photographs. They are OBSESSED with the stats post Pardew.
So were we though after Slade left. We were one of the form teams after xmas. Works both ways Clapham.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I just watched the Dean Hammond interview and this is his great pearl of wisdom:

"we never really had the chance to get close to Brighton 'cos obviously we had the games called off"

I just had a wee look back through the season's table and this is absolute shite.

In fact, the opposite is true for much of this year.

Scraping the barrel for excuses or just crap at maths?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So were we though after Slade left. We were one of the form teams after xmas. Works both ways Clapham.

It quite obviously doesn't when you are trying to use that excuse to imply you should be top of the league.

It quite obviously doesn't when the manager who left is doing quite nicely in the Premier League.....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Let's not forget he is speaking on saints player.The more he speaks the more motivation our players will get.
I'm glad he is questioning our ball boys,how many penaltys we have had & the fact he won't give a guard of honour.

Is this man totally stupid or is he following instructions.Why would he want to motivate a team who have nothing to play for.

THANKYOU NIGEL ADKINS

This is true. I was a bit worried by Gus's earlier comments that we wouldn't be fully committed for this match. But surely hearing this kind of shi*te has got to motivate the players? I'm sure they'll want to stuff them as much as we want them to.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Gus Poyet told seagulls.co.uk "I did my Pro License with him [Nigel Adkins] and he is a great lad. We get on very well."

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Poyet: Lets Enjoy It

People were saying that if Gus had been here at the start of that season we could of made the play offs. Saints fans are only saying the same if Adkins was there earlier they might be nearer to the title challenge then the current 16 point gap as it stands. It's all if's and buts and i don't see the problem with speculating.

THIS POST IS FOR CLAPHAM. I clicked wrong profile.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
He's just a puppet to his superiors. He comes across as the teachers pet in the classroom, licking the arse of his teachers (or in his case the owners).

Southampton are not a big club, I certainly dont see them as a big club, and never have done. In fact, Id put them on par with the likes of Blackpool, or WBA., or dare I say it, even the Palace.

I also hate the way people use the word "arrogance" when referring to Adkins and a small section of thier fans who spout crap on here. DELUSIONAL is a better word.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
People were saying that if Gus had been here at the start of that season we could of made the play offs. Saints fans are only saying the same if Adkins was there earlier they might be nearer to the title challenge then the current 16 point gap as it stands. It's all if's and buts and i don't see the problem with speculating.

THIS POST IS FOR CLAPHAM. I clicked wrong profile.

.[/QUOTE
L
npower Football League 1 - Updated 01/01/2011 HOME AWAY * *
Pos Name P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS
1 Brighton 21 7 4 0 23 8 4 3 3 14 8 +21 40
2 Southampton 21 7 3 3 23 9 3 1 4 11 10 +15 34
3 Charlton 21 5 3 2 11 11 4 4 3 24 18 +6 34
4 Bournemouth 21 7 1 2 25 9 2 5 4 13 15 +14 33
5 Sheffield Wed 21 6 2 3 16 7 4 1 5 18 14 +13 33
6 Huddersfield 22 6 2 3 18 10 4 1 6 16 18 +6 33
7 Hartlepool 20 4 2 3 17 20 5 3 3 9 6 0 32
8 MK Dons 21 8 2 1 18 9 2 0 8 11 23 -3 32
9 Brentford 20 4 2 4 11 14 5 2 3 14 8 +3 31
10 Colchester 20 4 6 2 19 19 3 4 1 9 7 +2 31
11 Peterborough 20 6 1 3 26 23 3 2 5 13 18 -2 30
12 Oldham 19 4 5 0 15 8 3 3 4 14 17 +4 29
13 Exeter City 21 5 3 1 20 13 3 2 7 12 25 -6 29
14 Carlisle 20 5 4 3 18 13 2 3 3 10 9 +6 28
15 Plymouth 21 5 4 4 17 17 2 2 4 9 13 -4 27
16 Notts County 20 6 0 4 14 11 2 2 6 13 18 -2 26
17 Rochdale 20 4 4 2 18 14 2 3 5 12 14 +2 25
18 Swindon Town 21 5 3 4 16 17 1 4 4 16 19 -4 25
19 Leyton Orient 20 4 2 2 11 8 2 4 6 16 23 -4 24
20 Tranmere 20 3 2 5 10 15 3 2 5 12 16 -9 22
21 Bristol Rovers 20 3 2 3 7 12 2 5 5 16 24 -13 22
22 Dagenham & R 20 2 4 2 9 10 2 2 8 13 24 -12 18
23 Yeovil Town 20 2 2 4 11 16 2 3 7 9 20 -16 17
24 Walsall 20 3 0 7 10 19 2 2 6 8 16 -17 17

This was the table on Jan 1st (game on)

So why are they now 16 points behind with 1 game in hand

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yea fair point.They lost 4 games prior to Adkins taking over and 6 since he has been in charge. But there excuse is that Gus has had all pre season with our team and signing his own players.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yea fair point.They lost 4 games prior to Adkins taking over and 6 since he has been in charge. But there excuse is that Gus has had all pre season with our team and signing his own players.

Because of course, the chairman in charge of making such appointments has nothing to do with the teams performance.

Bloom took a risk in appointing Poyet, a risk that has massively paid off. I'd struggle to believe that Southampton would accepted Adkins pre-season.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Because of course, the chairman in charge of making such appointments has nothing to do with the teams performance.

Bloom took a risk in appointing Poyet, a risk that has massively paid off. I'd struggle to believe that Southampton would accepted Adkins pre-season.

True.

Some of there fans weren't so keen on Adkins at first. I'm not getting into this scoring points lark as we have completed the job fair and square.I don't get why people get so worked up over some throw away comments.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Even the Cortese are at it.

"When we play some of the teams, for them it is like playing a Premier League side and it’s difficult.Nigel [Adkins, the manager] keeps on saying every team who play us in this division, it’s their cup game.

"Teams who play in a cup game style or motivation are very unpredictable. That’s what we need to accept. Everything can happen in the play-offs. We will try everything to avoid that.”

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Aaah f*** their guard of honour it just goes to show how bitter they are.
Hopefully it'll spur us on to give them a whipping.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Even the Cortese are at it.

"When we play some of the teams, for them it is like playing a Premier League side and it’s difficult.Nigel [Adkins, the manager] keeps on saying every team who play us in this division, it’s their cup game.

"Teams who play in a cup game style or motivation are very unpredictable. That’s what we need to accept. Everything can happen in the play-offs. We will try everything to avoid that.”

Un f***ing believable.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tell you what, rather than micro analyse Mr Adkins' comments let's see how we both fare on Saturday.

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent
I think, as a Saints fan it is easy to accept that NA says things without thinking sometimes, and has given you guys a bit of entertainment. The whole "keeping up" rubbish for example.

A lot of it is media looking for a story though, I have it on good authority that NA and Poyet are friends off the pitch, and NA had long since phoned Poyet personally to congratulate him. I do think we should be giving you guys a guard of honour tomorrow, and not sure why we aren't(although if I was being facetious I would point out that we played you in our first game after the JPT final last season), but if NA has given his congratulations, perhaps one isn't necessary and Poyet his happy with that.

The "cup final" stuff, is of course over the top, but, at the want of being unpopular, isn't irrelevant and is the downfall of having the monkey on our back of having our stadium and recent top flight past. No matter what they say, some teams at this level do treat playing us as a big deal. Has that made any difference to our finishing position this season? No.

Do I think we would have given you a stronger challenge had we had NA from day one. Yes. Undoubtedly. I was not a big fan of Pardew anyway, our pre-season was disastrous, we had a terrible start and then the spell under Wilkins was ridiculous. Do I think had we had NA from the start we would have beaten you to the title? No. Your consistency has been fantastic, you are deserved champions and no amount of speculation or managerial media crap will take that away from you. I do think our 2nd place may have been cemented by now though.

The beauty of this "thing" that has developed between the two clubs is that it has made this season interesting, and what's more, I think both clubs are better equipped than the bottom half of the Championship for next season (should we go up).

It also makes Saturday more interesting, you guys have nothing to play for, but I still think your manager and fans still think you have something to prove against us.

Anyway, let's hope it is a good contest, it should be, these are the two best footballing teams in the division, differing styles but with an array of good players between them. I hope we win of course, but there will be no shame in losing and if all goes to plan we will both be pushing on in a higher division next season, and can renew hostilities with two other clubs.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here