Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins on Saints Player

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
For those of you with a Seagulls World account you can hear his pre-match thoughts here: Southampton | Player | Latest News | Gaffer Expects Brighton Professionalism

Far, far to much said to paraphrase but he's pretty complimentary to us really.

"They've done great, congratulations to Brighton, they've gone and got themselves champions a few games before the end of the season and deservedly so, they've been consistant all over the course of the season and you have to be that if you want to be the champions, so well done to Gus and the players they've worked very hard to put themselves in that situation".

He also appears to reference his comments from earlier in the season,

"We're expecting a very tough game, its gonna be a great atmosphere... they've been waiting to get to this new stadium and what a fitting way they've gone to go and win the division... obviously you try and say a few comments and what have you, "I wanna win the division" right, simple as that and you try and do a few things to give yourselves the opportunity to win it, just the same as Gus does with his team, but they've gone and won it and you have to say well done, enjoy it and look forward to next season".

Asked whether there is any needle going into the match following antics at St Marys and he says, "Na, not at all, listen thats what you do to try and win games of football isn't it. We'll go to Brighton at the weekend, the ball boys will be existant then non-existant, they've done it all season, everyone's complained about it, get on with it, that's football, thats life, they'll obviously try jump up and down and you know, is that the foreign mentality that goes on trying to get, you're highlighting that simply because they tried to get Morgan Schniderlan booked or sent off, they're the antics that go on, they've done it all season, plenty of managers have complained about it, get on with it, thats football, thats life, try not to get wound up about it, they've had more penalties than many teams in the division, its about winning games of football, they've gone and won, so whichever way you try and do it theres different ways to skin a cat, there's different ways to go and win games of football, they've had that winning mentality this season."

I'm sure some will take that as a dig, I don't really, it is as he says, football, get on with it.

He does go on to say they wont give us a guard of honour as they didnt do it for Leicester when they won the division and its not a recognised tradition in his eyes.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
mmm....

through gritted teeth.

"they've had more penalties than anyone else"

"non existent ball boys"

.. and also implies how players go down to easy.

Interspersed with congratulations to Brighton. He really, really has a problem with us winning the league. Doesn't he....

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Likes banging on about how wonderful he was at Scunthorpe doesn't he?

Don't buy into the anti Saints stuff, but I do think Adkins is a cock. At least he admits his shit mindgames didn't work (he'd be a bit of a mug if he didn't!)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Shame no guard of honour.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe we've had more penalties because we spend so long with the ball in the opponents area? Just a thought.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Is he aware we've missed nearly half of these penalties? Is he aware we get these penalties because of the trickery of Murray? Or is he trying to play off our success as having referees favour us? Ballboys...bit of a weird comment, and don't really see much relevance as we seem to dominate most home games. I personally have not seen any imaginary card-waving, and the only time I really recall anyone saying we did was away at Huddersfield and maybe away at Saints...

Fair play acknowledging we have won the league, thank you Nigel, but could you please stop trying to diminish our accomplishment by spouting shite?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Fair play acknowledging we have won the league, thank you Nigel, but could you please stop trying to diminish our accomplishment by spouting shite?

To be fair to him, I think he says this is part of football. Everyone does it up and down the country to try and get an edge. So I dont think we should get to precious about it. Granted, it didnt have to be said, but then he was asked about our antics at SMS so was only answering the question and expanding a bit.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Very, very grudging praise.

What do our ball boys do again that "everyone's" complained about? Bizarre.

And maybe we've had more penalties because we've got the ball in the box in dangerous positions more often than other teams? (he obviously doesn't realise that we missed the majority of them!)

I also like the way he chucks in: "We were 22nd in the league when I took over. I'm not sure how many points we were behind Brighton then..."

To put this argument to bed once and for all...

Since Adkins took over on Sep 12, SCC's record has been:

Pld 36 W 22 D 7 L 7 Pts 73.

Our record has been:

Pld 37 W 25 D 8 L 4 Pts 83.

So even ignoring their poor start, we'd be ten points ahead, having played a game more.

Swivel on that, Nigel.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Likes the royal "we" doesn't he...

Quite. It almost sounds as though he arrange a dinner with the express interest of sacking Gus. He has probably read the old "If I was in charge of Southampton....I would offer my fee back". Granted, he wasn't in charge at the start, but with a multi-million pound squad, one would expect to chase us down.

Basically, he is saying we have won games, not through skill, but through other mens.

He is a hard man to please. Or a hard wanker... No, just a wanker.

Maybe he should try our way of skinning a cat - I'm not convinced he knows what that means.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Basically, he is saying we have won games, not through skill, but through other mens.

I'm not sure I agree with that. He obviously hasnt said we dont have skill. He's mentioned things that we've used to our advantage. I bet if you asked him, and any other manager, there's things they try to do outside of on the pitch skill to win games, wetting the pitch or letting the grass grow longer, all these sorts of things to give your side an advantage.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...but then he was asked about our antics at SMS so was only answering the question and expanding a bit.

He wasn't, he was asking about the arguing between the benches.

I'm sorry Turkey, it's him who appears to have a problem with us, rather than the other way round.

It's the standard Southampton line, praising us for our "consistency" rather than the fact we are intrinsically better than any other team in the division, using the frankly ridiculous excuse that everyone raises their game against them and wiping off their results pre-Adkins.

..as if the season started then !

.. not forgetting the "wait till next season...."

If anyone is responsible for creating a false Southampton Brighton rivalry it's their manager.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
and wiping off their results pre-Adkins.

..as if the season started then !

As pointed out above, even if it had we'd still be way ahead of them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And, as pointed out above, even if it had we'd still be way ahead of them.

It's a common theme on their boards, reminds of Stalin erasing people from official photographs. They are OBSESSED with the stats post Pardew.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here