Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins confirmed as new Saints manager

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
:stupid:

Keep it up Sim coz every time you get cocky when it comes to Saints\Albion banter it all goes tits up for you. I'm still looking for a new arm coz you bit mine off when offering you the 'Who will finish highest even with the points deduction' bet at the beginning of last season. Didnt you decline the same bet a few weeks ago?
When you say "every time", you actually mean "once". A bit like when you say "youth" team, you actually mean "ought to be easily competitive enough for this division" and when you say Lambert arrived midway through the season you actually meant "in time for second fixture of the season". :thumbsup:

And yes, I've learnt my lesson, hence no bet. There's a long way to go, so sadly I imagine you won't remain the worst team on the south coast. However, we're clearly a much better side than last season (and with more strength in depth), so this time I'm quietly confident of staying ahead of you. And I reckon any team that is in front of Southampton by the end of the season will be promoted.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
However, everytime I log on there appears to be a Saints related thread.

Why are you surprised? These aren't threads in praise of the SCC but laughing at them - which is what opposition fans like to do (and you've given us so much material over the last 2 weeks). I haven't been onto B'muff, Swindon or Readings boards but I doubt if they're much different. I would assume Pompey's is always that way.

You seem very sensitive about this - I suggest you take a tablet and go to bed for a week. You'll feel better soon (although SCC may not).

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
When you say "every time", you actually mean "once".

Crap. In years gone by, the second you start to rave about BHA doing well, they've then started to slide. Best example in May 1991 - "well were going up automatically next season and then we'll be the best team in the South":lolol: Last year was simply the only time we put money on it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Crap. In years gone by, the second you start to rave about BHA doing well, they've then started to slide. Best example in May 1991 - "well were going up automatically next season and then we'll be the best team in the South":lolol: Last year was simply the only time we put money on it.
I can't even remember saying that. Oh yeah, that'll be because you've chosen an example from nearly TWENTY years ago. :lolol:

Now back to the present day, and this is all we need to know:

Peterborough 6 6 12
Carlisle 6 6 12
Bournemouth 6 9 11
Huddersfield 6 4 11
Rochdale 6 4 11
Sheff Wed 6 6 10
Brighton 5 3 10
Tranmere 6 -5 5
SCC 5 0 4
Leyton Orient 6 -3 4
Dag & Red 5 -4 4

:smokin:

And of the 5 games we've played, TWO have been identical fixtures, from which you've picked up ZERO points and we've picked up FOUR. Marvellous.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He could be. He has done well at Scunthorpe. But dealing with bigger egos, dressing room characters, expectation, and purchasing players is all very different.

Time will tell.

I was thinking something similar, Adkins has done very well at Scunny but he was part of their backroom staff and thus knew a lot more about them than SCC so he may have a few problems. He'd better hope that Deano stays and Crosby joins him as both would be a real asset.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's an interesting appointment.

I wonder whether the Southampton chairman has looked at what Simon Grayson did at Blackpool, and now Leeds.

Getting a lower profile manager is probably a good idea, but Southampton strike me as a club that really want a high profile manager. They've always been one for a "name", e.g. Alan Ball, Hoddle, Souness, Strachan, Redknapp.

Adkins came up through the ranks at Scunthorpe where expectation was low. At Southampton the sacking of Pardew implies they want instant success. I don't think he'll be given the time to get it right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So who will pick the team Adkins or Cortese ?

well thats going to be the really interesting question isnt it? the answer is probably why some other manager turned the job down.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So who will pick the team Adkins or Cortese ?

There is the rub isn't it, and the reason Eddie Howe turned you down, because he wasn't having the Dear Leader telling him who to pick.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
At Southampton the sacking of Pardew implies they want instant success.
I'm not sure that's very fair. It might imply they'd simply had enough of Pardew trying to shag some of the players wives. ???

And Southampton really ought to be able to get promotion with their resources, even if that means going via the play-offs.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The people of Hampshire must be really proud of their two biggest football clubs at the moment.

Saints acting like a Third World dictatorship and Pompey STILL cheating, even after everything that's happened.

Nice.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
To be honest I joined NSC so I could join in issues relating to Brighton the city as there appears to be a lot of non football related threads.

However, everytime I log on there appears to be a Saints related thread.

The fact that there are so many Saints related threads on here only fuels anyones belief that we are a pretty big club. Personally I've always thought of us as a medium sized club. The likes of Brighton and Bournemouth are suddenly concerning themselves with in our plight mainly because we are sharing a few rare seasons in the same league. Not sure I've ever seen a BHA thread on our board.

I'm not sure you're a real person. You conform to the stereotype of a southampton fan-namely a slightly arrogant yokel unable to see through the noxious miasma of his delusions- a little too perfectly for my liking. You're surely someone's second account?

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I can't even remember saying that. Oh yeah, that'll be because you've chosen an example from nearly TWENTY years ago. :lolol:

Now back to the present day, and this is all we need to know:

Peterborough 6 6 12
Carlisle 6 6 12
Bournemouth 6 9 11
Huddersfield 6 4 11
Rochdale 6 4 11
Sheff Wed 6 6 10
Brighton 5 3 10
Tranmere 6 -5 5
SCC 5 0 4
Leyton Orient 6 -3 4
Dag & Red 5 -4 4

:smokin:

And of the 5 games we've played, TWO have been identical fixtures, from which you've picked up ZERO points and we've picked up FOUR. Marvellous.

Similar posts to that of a year ago,
:bla:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Similar posts to that of a year ago,
:bla:

Enough of this (for now), your time will come. Come on the Pompey thread instead and see if you like what our occasional PFC fan has to say for himself :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here