Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adkins confirmed as new Saints manager

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Yeah, quite a risk I think. He got the Scunthorpe job on the back of being there for years, plus Scunthorpe is obviously a place where you aren't EXPECTED to achieve anything. Southampton is going to be a totally different beast to tame. There is also no security, as if they do anything but get promoted this season he'll be sacked. I'm not convinced.

I think it is also an acceptance that they are no longer a 'big-club', and are no longer able to afford a 'name' manager with experience.

They now have to do, what many lower league clubs with little real hope of becoming a 'big-club' in the premiership do.......take a chance on someone (like we have) who may........or may not succeed.

Welcome to League 1/2 reality.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think it is also an acceptance that they are no longer a 'big-club', and are no longer able to afford a 'name' manager with experience.

They now have to do, what many lower league clubs with little real hope of becoming a 'big-club' in the premiership do.......take a chance on someone (like we have) who may........or may not succeed.

Welcome to League 1/2 reality.

Disagree.

I don't think the penny will ever drop with Cortese.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Don't forget we were strongly linked with Adkins before Poyet. He's very highly regarded as one of the best & up and coming managers in the game. Yes, the pressure's on but look at the squad they have plus he'll have cash to spend if needs be. I think it looks like a shewd appointment.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"The appointment follows an intense, but thorough search, with the Club having received a very high volume and quality of applications, the majority of which came from well respected managers currently working in the top two divisions of English football and abroad"

Yeah. We had so many QUALITY applicants that we got turned down by a third division boss and ended up appointing the SCUNTHORPE UNITED manager :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I lost count of how many things I laughed at in that article.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Don't forget we were strongly linked with Adkins before Poyet. He's very highly regarded as one of the best & up and coming managers in the game. Yes, the pressure's on but look at the squad they have plus he'll have cash to spend if needs be. I think it looks like a shewd appointment.

Agreed. I like the way they state that many managers from the top two divisions decided that their current status was not good enough so applied for the job, my arse.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
According to a Saints-supporting mate, they are starting to compare Cortese to Kim Jong Il.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Theres so much crap on this thread, I really dont have time to answer each hilarious ridulous comment.

Say what you like but most Saints fans feel that they have the most exciting up and coming manager. If you read NC's article, no one else was offered the job.

So now our players have someone to look up to and will actually start scoring goals, who are you gonna slag off? COYS

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Theres so much crap on this thread, I really dont have time to answer each hilarious ridulous comment.

Say what you like but most Saints fans feel that they have the most exciting up and coming manager. If you read NC's article, no one else was offered the job.

So now our players have someone to look up to and will actually start scoring goals, who are you gonna slag off? COYS
Praises To Our Glorious Leader!

Don't like it? Ah diddums.

Bit of a tip for you. If you support a side where the chairman is so pretentious and up his own arse AND writes press releases such as the one mentioned AND you have really thin skin then you're best off avoiding other football team's forums.

And we will say what we like, thanks.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
That South Coast club are vying with Palace for my loathing.
I've always hated Pompey but all this business is making me realize why Pompey hate "that lot down the road" so much.
Shame that a club with a good history & some great players down the years can turn into such a joke.
The supporters need a reality check.

That win down there last year was sooo good!

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
A very good appointment for both partys. Adkins knows the division, and knows what it will take to get them promoted. As much as I dislike pardew his dismissal was ridiculous, a trained monkey could get saints out of this division. I just hope Adkins is allowed to do the job and he's not restriced in anyway as he seems a decent bloke-refusing to resign the scunny job so they got the full compensation for him.

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham

LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS....oh wait sorry easy to get the two confused arrogant fans

Last edited:

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003

Interesting viewpoint and comments although I guess you could just f*** off. :cry:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Yeah, and if you read the Bournemouth chairman's article, they offered the job to Howe but were turned down.

But of course you'd believe Nicola.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here