Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams Out Thread

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
We have only lost three games this season and two of them were to argubly the two best teams in the division. The performances have not been good i know but to call for the managers head after 11 games is not on. We are still in every cup competition and we have 35 league games left.

I understand people are losing faith but you need to give all managers time to make there mark.

Wilkins had practically two seasons in charge and in his first season finished in a relatively low postion and were 17th in january last season and ended 7th.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Haven't we had a vacancy for a first team coach since DW turned down the position in the summer so I don't see how sacking White and Booker would help us recruit anybody for this?
White is Assistant Manager, as he was under DW, and Booker's role is largely that filled by Ian Chapman until he left in May.

So just who is coaching the first team squad at the moment then?

Just go along half an hour before kick off and watch the warm up - very amateurish, the 16 year old boys that I coach are more organised (and they get to play in their correct positions.)

Let's face it, Adams was/never has been 'a coach' he has always relied on others - but things have moved on and bringing back Booker from Pease Pottage Village/Saltdean is NOT good enough.

The coaching structure in the first team squad simply ain't currently good enough.

So just who is coaching the first team squad at the moment then?

No idea - that's my point.
DW was offered this position and declined.
White has retained the same role (assistant manager) that he had when DW was the manager and Booker has replaced Chapman as Reserve Team Coach, although he also has some responsiblity for the development squad(?).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We have only lost three games this season and two of them were to argubly the two best teams in the division. The performances have not been good i know but to call for the managers head after 11 games is not on. We are still in every cup competition and we have 35 league games left.

I understand people are losing faith but you need to give all managers time to make there mark.

Wilkins had practically two seasons in charge and in his first season finished in a relatively low postion and were 17th in january last season and ended 7th.
Agreed. I was disappointed when Wilkins was sacked and I certainly didn't want to see Adams back - but, so what, it was done and that's that.

Successful clubs don't change their manager every time there's a run of poor results, and they certainly stick by the new guy. I must admit that all the evidence points to the fact that playing-wise the club is going backwards at a rate of knots but it could just be a transitional, settling-in period.

However it IS disappointing.

things have moved on and bringing back Booker from Pease Pottage Village/Saltdean is NOT good enough.

The coaching structure in the first team squad simply ain't currently good enough.

As opposed to Wilkins bringing in his mate Chapman who incidentally, at the time was the coach at Whitehawk?

But if they choose not to tell us the "real story" then people are going to make up their minds based on what they do know, and that's what went on on the pitch. And on that basis it was a MASSIVE balls up.

And why are you telling us to just accept things because we don't know any better and then saying you're "pretty certain" that it wasn't just to bring back Adams? Has someone told you that or hinted to it. If not then on your own logic you should not be saying or thinking such things. ???

First question. Why SHOULD DK tell us the whole story? Is it anything to do with us if it was an internal problem? If there is a "clash of personalities" or a "communication problem" in a company does that company need to wash its dirty linen in public to keep its customers happy? We are customers, remember, not shareholders.

I'm not saying that they should keep things quiet, I'm just saying that if the Chairman and the Board decide it is best not to open up then that is a decision for them and them alone. Remember that we have a Chairman and a Board who are generally speaking, and certainly compared to many other clubs, fairly open with the supporters. If they decide it is right on this occasion not to be so open then that is their decision. If you trust the Chairman and the Board to make the right decisions as I do then I for one am comfortable with that.

If you don't trust them then its a different matter but as I said I have seen plenty of evidence as to why they should be trusted and none as to why not.

And you are right, I might be wrong about the reason, maybe it was to bring Micky Adams back but I doubt it. And no I do not have any inside information, just that a problem with Wilkins´management style has been rumoured and DK has done nothing to scotch that rumour. It just seems to fit what we do know and explains why a pretty successful manager was sacked but as you say and I agree I could be wrong.

I just do not believe DK or any sensible Chairman would sack a reasonably successful manager who showed plenty of outward signs of improving things just to bring in someone else who may or may not have been successful. If everything was sweetness and light in the club surely they would have at least seen how things went at the start of this season before deciding whether or not to make a change.

Whichever way you slice it DW is not coming back!

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
it doesn,t matter how good a coach Adams is ,all the time he insists on playing up to 8 defence minded players we will never play attractive football or break down a well organised defence. He needs to take a good look at the squad & realise what we can all see, we need at least 1 player to unlock a defence & whoever he might be he's not currently a Brighton player. Get shot of Savage & use the money to bring in someone with a bit of attacking ambition....it might just save our season.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008

Completely agree, but there's no point, this is the sensible way of looking at things, but unfortunately a lot of people on here and the Albion are to quick to criticise. They'll be cheering his name again before long.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Completely agree, but there's no point, this is the sensible way of looking at things, but unfortunately a lot of people on here and the Albion are to quick to criticise. They'll be cheering his name again before long.

They will, but it might not be for 10 games maybe 20 or even next season, but when they do I will take alot of pleasure in bouncing these threads.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone who heard Adams post match interview would have heard him talking about it not being too bad a result, we didn't concede and we can build from there.

If you want your team managed by someone who couldn't come out and admit that the fare served up was absolute shite..then keep the faith, I've lost mine completely and I reckon Adams is taking the piss now.

Last edited:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Anyone who heard Adams post match interview would have heard him talking about it not being too bad a result, we didn't concede and we can build from there.

If you want your team managed by someone who couldn't see the fare served up as absolute shite..then keep the faith, I've lost mine completely.

Don't worry things will get better. Give it time, but don't expect it to be within the next 2 or 3 weeks. :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Incorrect.

We have NOT heard Dick Knight's side of the story. He's been very definite about not being prepared to go into detail as to why DW was sacked and personally I respect him for that. What good would it do? It would only start a public argument between DW and DK which would have a destabilising effect on the club and possibly damage the reputation of either person.

All just so that we know the truth? Do you SERIOUSLY suggest that the Albion should wash their dirty linen in public?

Presumably as part of DW's settlement there was a non-disclosure clause stopping either party from discussing it in public. Perfectly good business practice and obviously Dean Wilkins agreed otherwise he wouldn't have signed the agreement.

I guess it all comes down to whether or not you trust Dick Knight. Personally I do, he's done a lot for the club and never given me any reason not to doubt his determination to do what he thinks is right for the Albion.

Not what I think is right, not what you think is right, not what NSC thinks is right but what HE thinks is right.

It's called being Chairman of the Board.

You may not trust him and that is your prerogative. But I have yet to see a shred of evidence why he shouldn't be trusted.

If you know of such evidence then I for one would be very pleased to hear it.

Dick Knight has said publicly that the decision to sack Wilkins was unanamous and was not just down to him.
Last week he made a statement saying that he went to the board and said that he wanted to remove Wilkins at the end of the season and he recieved support.
Knight initiated any moves here and the rest of the board just fell into line.

and what dirty linen are we talking about ? there isn`t any for fucks sake. This is Dean Wilkins we are talking about.
He sacked him because of the december discontent amonst the players which Wilkins did not put down firmly enough and did not agree with Knight over the transfer dealings in that period.

Oh and Knight found Wilkins uncharismatic didn`t he.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
That's right, get ya head out of the sand Adams should not have come back, we want Wilkins.[/QUOTE

So when Adams came back everybody was saying ''return of the messiah'' blah blah blah. ............

...er excuse me, everybody was most certainly not saying that. Whilst I won't jump on the Adams out bandwagon (yet) I and many many others were, and still are pissed off at the way Wilkins was treated and think he would have taken Brighton further than Adams will.

We can still back the team and not like the manager / chairman / ground / Tories / etc etc........y'know.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
First question. Why SHOULD DK tell us the whole story? Is it anything to do with us if it was an internal problem? If there is a "clash of personalities" or a "communication problem" in a company does that company need to wash its dirty linen in public to keep its customers happy? We are customers, remember, not shareholders.

I'm not saying that they should keep things quiet, I'm just saying that if the Chairman and the Board decide it is best not to open up then that is a decision for them and them alone. Remember that we have a Chairman and a Board who are generally speaking, and certainly compared to many other clubs, fairly open with the supporters. If they decide it is right on this occasion not to be so open then that is their decision. If you trust the Chairman and the Board to make the right decisions as I do then I for one am comfortable with that.

If you don't trust them then its a different matter but as I said I have seen plenty of evidence as to why they should be trusted and none as to why not.

And you are right, I might be wrong about the reason, maybe it was to bring Micky Adams back but I doubt it. And no I do not have any inside information, just that a problem with Wilkins´management style has been rumoured and DK has done nothing to scotch that rumour. It just seems to fit what we do know and explains why a pretty successful manager was sacked but as you say and I agree I could be wrong.

I just do not believe DK or any sensible Chairman would sack a reasonably successful manager who showed plenty of outward signs of improving things just to bring in someone else who may or may not have been successful. If everything was sweetness and light in the club surely they would have at least seen how things went at the start of this season before deciding whether or not to make a change.

Whichever way you slice it DW is not coming back!
... and micky adams aint going nowhere. We are still paying Dean Wilkins, so if we sack Adams that will be two managers on the payroll that aint at the club.

I've posted elsewhere the real reason Wilkins got the bullet, whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you, but it has nothing to do with his coaching/management skills, or an awful lot to do with Dick Knight is the truth be known.

And to answer your first point Why SHOULD DK tell us the whole story?

Simple. Because when he took over he said the fans of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club deserve to known what goes on at their football club, and that he plans to be an open chairman and communicate with the fans, so when the club sacks a manager who looks like taking us in the right direction, and replaces him with someone who is taking us backwards (and I absolutely have nothing against Admas and hopes he turns it round), I think the very least he can do is be open with the fans and explain why he sacked our manager.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dick Knight has said publicly that the decision to sack Wilkins was unanamous and was not just down to him.
Last week he made a statement saying that he went to the board and said that he wanted to remove Wilkins at the end of the season and he recieved support.
Knight initiated any moves here and the rest of the board just fell into line.

and what dirty linen are we talking about ? there isn`t any for fucks sake. This is Dean Wilkins we are talking about.
He sacked him because of the december discontent amonst the players which Wilkins did not put down firmly enough and did not agree with Knight over the transfer dealings in that period.

Oh and Knight found Wilkins uncharismatic didn`t he.

Believe me, this is NOT a board of directors that just 'falls into line'.

oh ah stantona

Oct 19, 2008
old news who cares move on....judge adams at the end of his first season...remember our 1st season under deano we almost got relegated

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here