Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Yauch...MCA...Beastie Boys....R.I.P. (merged).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Licensed to Ill is much maligned. Listen again, it's a brilliant album.

I don't disagree it is brilliant and there are seeds of the talent (with hindsight) which was about to flourish. All I mean is during that era of the Beastie Boys I defy anyone to have predicted what they became. From enormous on stage penis's, stealing VW signs, the scourge of the tabloid press etc etc to Boni-fide hip hop stars, Champions of Tibet and many other causes around the world and of course the genius, intelligent, quality quality music.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Girls - ya all I really want is girls
And in the morning it's girls
Cause in the evening it's girls

I like the way that they walk
And it's chill to hear them talk
And I can always make them smile
From White Castle to the Nile

Back in the day
There was this girl around the way
She liked by home-piece M.C.A.
He said he would not give her play
I asked him, "Please?" - he said, "You may."
Her pants were tight and that's ok
If she would dance - I would D.J.
We took a walk down to the bay

I hope she'll say, "Hey me and you should hit the hay!"

I asked her out - she said, "No way!"
I should have probly guessed her gay
So I broke North with no delay
I heard she moved real far away
That was two years ago this May
I seen her just the other day
Jackin' Mike D. to my dismay

Girls - to do the dishes
Girls - to clean up my room
Girls - to do the laundry
Girls - and in the bathroom
Girls - that's all I really want is girls
Two at a time - I want girls
With new wave hairdos - I want girls
I ought to whip out my - girls, girls, girls, girls, girls!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep me too. Then heard Paul's Boutique and it blew my mind. It still amazes me they went from Licence to Ill tabloid shockers to one of the best hip hop albums ever!

Not only did their career have an almighty turn around but this album did as well as upon release Paul's Boutique was, at best, met with indifference and largely ignored.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Favourite album?

Check your head for me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not only did their career have an almighty turn around but this album did as well as upon release Paul's Boutique was, at best, met with indifference and largely ignored.

I must admit to ignoring it for a few years. Although to be fair my interest in Hip-hop was, at the time, not huge. It was Paul's Boutique that really got me interested in Hip-hop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's about time the global pharmaceutical giants were told to f*** off and the cure for cancer is made available. Is there any part of the body it can't affect? Jesus, 47 is no age. I know a guy who has an inoperable brain tumour at 40 and will not live past this November. He has a 5 year old son and spends all his waking hours writing a journal that his boy can read at various stages throughout his life, because his Dad won't be there. It's all so terribly sad. RIP Adam.

There is almost certainly cures for cancer sitting on the pharmaceuticals shelves, but they'd lose huge profits from making it available.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is almost certainly cures for cancer sitting on the pharmaceuticals shelves, but they'd lose huge profits from making it available.

Total rubbish.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love a reply with reasoning.

The rewards for a cure would far outstrip the return on managing an illness. For starters you will almost certainly be the absolute market leader as opposed to a player in a congested market. You will also be able to price the treatment relative to the cost of managing the illness.

Also, and this is my main reason, having a compound sitting on a shelf makes no sense as the patent will be running down from the moment it's registered. Typically you get 20 odd years and then anyone can manufacture it ie the longer you do nothing with a compound the less time you have to make any money from it. If you choose to do absolutely nothing for the full life time of the patent all you have done is stop someone else manufacturing it for 20 years. Anyone can then come along and work with it. My point being you would be stupid to not try and make any money from it as once the patent expires someone else certainly will try. Of course you could hide it on a shelf and not patent it but then you run the risk of anyone copying your asset.

What you have suggested makes no sense and the very reason you are suggesting for companies not progressing new drugs is the very reason they will progress them.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The rewards for a cure would far outstrip the return on managing an illness. For starters you will almost certainly be the absolute market leader as opposed to a player in a congested market. You will also be able to price the treatment relative to the cost of managing the illness.

Also, and this is my main reason, having a compound sitting on a shelf makes no sense as the patent will be running down from the moment it's registered. Typically you get 20 odd years and then anyone can manufacture it ie the longer you do nothing with a compound the less time you have to make any money from it. If you choose to do absolutely nothing for the full life time of the patent all you have done is stop someone else manufacturing it for 20 years. Anyone can then come along and work with it. My point being you would be stupid to not try and make any money from it as once the patent expires someone else certainly will try. Of course you could hide it on a shelf and not patent it but then you run the risk of anyone copying your asset.

What you have suggested makes no sense and the very reason you are suggesting for companies not progressing new drugs is the very reason they will progress them.

You are totally allowed your opinion as am I, and I don't need a lesson in patents, to be honest it has no relevance. There is a very shady underworld in many walks of life that we have no idea about, I believe a cancer cure is one of them. Just my opinion like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are totally allowed your opinion as am I, and I don't need a lesson in patents, to be honest it has no relevance. There is a very shady underworld in many walks of life that we have no idea about, I believe a cancer cure is one of them. Just my opinion like.

Give me a reason as to why you think they might hold back a market leading blockbuster of all blockbuster drugs then? It makes no sense which ever say you look at it commercially or otherwise. Also, not all drug research is conducted by big pharma companies. Why would a small biotech/pharma hold back? Why would a charity funded university researcher hold back?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't need a lesson in patents, to be honest it has no relevance.

Patents have no relevance in drug research? They have a huge relevance.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Give me a reason as to why you think they might hold back a market leading blockbuster of all blockbuster drugs then? It makes no sense which ever say you look at it commercially or otherwise. Also, not all drug research is conducted by big pharma companies. Why would a small biotech/pharma hold back? Why would a charity funded university researcher hold back?

I have no idea in all honesty and there is no point in me getting into a subject I am unsure of. I do know that billions of notes are poured into cancer research every year and that probably far outweighs the profit from a solution. It is just my opinion, I'm just a cynical old bastard.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Why don't you take this shit to another thread you jerks.

I went to about 5 bars last night all of which played some Beastie Boys. It was good.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why don't you take this shit to another thread you jerks.

I went to about 5 bars last night all of which played some Beastie Boys. It was good.

Hmmm someone dies of cancer and we debate cancer... you're right, it should be taken elsewhere :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here