Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El-Abd

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So as the last man, with a winger running at him, you would rather he lunged in? :nono:

Personally, I would rather see him try and shepherd him out wide and make time for the centre backs to get into position.

But he DOESN'T do that at all. He runs backwards, directly towards the goal.

he wasn't fast enough to shepherd him out wide(i dont know who would be!), you can only do that if you have real pace. the best way against a quick winger is to stay tight on the man even when the ball is knowhere near him, El Abd is the strongest man in the team meaning if the winger does pick up the ball he wont have the strength to turn him, if the winger is running at you step between man and ball slowing the mans momentum down and make the challenge.

By backing off the player gets nearer to dangerous areas meaning IF you are beaten by him it is more likely to prove costly.

Exactly. Thank you. I think as a general rule on here you can tell apart the comments from posters who have actually PLAYED the game, and those who haven't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What all the critics seem to forget is that Adam El Abd doesn't pick the team. He is not the greatest but I doubt there is any that have more committment to the cause than him. He did Ok against a very fast winger who was eventually substituted.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes, I completely forgot that he doesn't pick the team, I'd also forgotten his enthusiasm that more than makes up for his technical shortcomings and I especially forgot that I should only judge him on one game as you are doing.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
he gets far too much stick. yes he's accident prone and isn't going to set the world on fire, but i like him becuase he's a local lad who would spill blood for the team. he may be crap but he's one of us.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
he gets far too much stick. yes he's accident prone and isn't going to set the world on fire, but i like him becuase he's a local lad who would spill blood for the team. he may be crap but he's one of us.

Agreed except for the crap bit, yeah he makes some mistakes but they all do, he is a grafter who fits in (or makes a good attempt to) in a variety of positions.

NSC just havent forgiven him for daring to have a go a few years ago when the whole team were dire and they were booed off, el abd fronted it up to the South Stand and NSC ers took offence.

The team is on the up, we have some belief for the first time this year and all some can do is slag players off ffs

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
Yep, but quite a few Managers have kept him and played him. I would hazard a guess that most of those Managers knew quite a bit more about football then you.

thats an obsurd comment, how can you PRESUME that??

i know more about BHA than Poyet does at this moment, just because he was blessed with the ability to play at a professional level, it does not mean he is an expert above and beyond EVERYBODY who has not played to the same heights!!

you sir, are a mug!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

i know more about BHA than Poyet does at this moment, just because he was blessed with the ability to play at a professional level, it does not mean he is an expert above and beyond EVERYBODY who has not played to the same heights!!

you sir, are a mug!!

Hinshelwood and Oatway would almost certainly have had some input though, do you know better than them and who would you have played?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

you sir, are a mug!!

So what's your history in the game then?

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
He is fully committed however his lack of ability means he regularly has to resort to obstruction,shirt pulling and desperate lunges which makes me sweat whenever he is around the penalty area.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Anyways, if we are to move upwards and onwards then surely we need better players than El-Abd?

Err so who should we bring in? As a player who can play: LB, RB, CB, Sweeper and DM, who is better than him and won't mind sitting on the bench to be used in as a utility player. Oh and who is committed to the club.

C'mon, throw me some names. Who should we sign to replace him? Cause tell you what, if we brought in a quality experienced CB, solely CB, I would prefer to get rid of Virgo than El-Abd.

He's our equivalent Wes Brown or O'Shea.

But as I've said, if we need better players than El-Abd- and I'm assuming you mean a better player at his role of utility covering- then who should we sign to replace him?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i know more about BHA than Poyet does at this moment
I don't doubt that. So who would you have played at left back?

It's not just Poyet who's chosen to play him, it's all our managers. Are they all wrong?

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Anyone with any sense knows you stick tight to a fast man and dont let him run at you. However, when you are covering across behind the centre backs its not going to be that easy which is why Bennett was moved across to track him down. He was sacrificed as said elsewhere to do a job which resulted in the Antonio becoming less effective and eventually substituted. El Abd is a committed team and squad man and as such deserves some credit.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Err so who should we bring in? As a player who can play: LB, RB, CB, Sweeper and DM, who is better than him and won't mind sitting on the bench to be used in as a utility player. Oh and who is committed to the club.

C'mon, throw me some names. Who should we sign to replace him? Cause tell you what, if we brought in a quality experienced CB, solely CB, I would prefer to get rid of Virgo than El-Abd.

He's our equivalent Wes Brown or O'Shea.

But as I've said, if we need better players than El-Abd- and I'm assuming you mean a better player at his role of utility covering- then who should we sign to replace him?

good post. somebody who understands their football. i'm with you on the virgo shout as well, vastly overrated player.

Big Ernie McCracken

Mar 9, 2009
the problem is not with the full backs its with the cover in front of them, Lord Gus moved Bennett to nullify antonio because he was the fastest person alive and posed a threat, you only counter pace with pace.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

you sir, are a mug!!

I am going to assume that you are joking, purely because believing that you are serious would mean that Care in the community really does need to be reviewed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here