Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El-Abd

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It's telling too that i haven't heard nor read any negative comments about AEAbd from either Saints fans or neutrals since Sunday.
He is a just a scapegoat.
Now, more than ever, would it need be a good time for us ALL to support ALL our players- whether we deem them good enough or not?
Grrr.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Any player who comes in to replace a first teamer would be inferior you would think, and El Abd is no different.
To compare him with Harding though is stretching it a bit TLO. Harding spent most of the time coming at us down our left and put countless crosses into our box which abeit we defnded superbly but you would never see Adam get forward like Harding can.
El Abd had a great game sunday though.

I was comparing their defensive qualities.

Harding is good at coming forward, but can't - or rather, won't - tackle. How many did he bottle out of? As soon as El-Abd got some assistance down the left (their right), he played well. Harding had the same assistance and still got done.

Criticism of El-Abd on here is sometimes justified. But in typical NSC-style, it goes way beyond that into the realms of abuse. Unwarranted in my view.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
NSC at it's finest...

Adam El Abd has been picked to play in the starting line up, in a variety of positions, by EVERY manager (and it's quite a few!)... but I guess they all know nothing (or less than the football geniuses NSC is so fortunate to be endowed with).

:nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Distinctly Average.

He'll do a job when called upon, and he'll always try.
Nothing against him, but he's really not all that good.

His single biggest problem, is the way he backs off [and off, and off] when someone runs at him. Hopefuly some better coaching from Tarrico can improve this.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Distinctly Average.

His single biggest problem, is the way he backs off [and off, and off] when someone runs at him. Hopefuly some better coaching from Tarrico can improve this.

So as the last man, with a winger running at him, you would rather he lunged in? :nono:

Personally, I would rather see him try and shepherd him out wide and make time for the centre backs to get into position.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Distinctly Average.

Just going on Sunday's game-

When you have someone of Antonio's pace all he has to do is knock the ball past you and you are f***ed, I doubt any of our players, McNulty included could have done much against him. Gus would have had to double up against Antonio even if McNulty had been playing and at his best.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
NSC at it's finest...

Adam El Abd has been picked to play in the starting line up, in a variety of positions, by EVERY manager (and it's quite a few!)... but I guess they all know nothing (or less than the football geniuses NSC is so fortunate to be endowed with).

:nono:

No, no, no, I mean what does Gus or any of our previous managers know. he sh*t end of! :facepalm:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
So as the last man, with a winger running at him, you would rather he lunged in? :nono:

Personally, I would rather see him try and shepherd him out wide and make time for the centre backs to get into position.

he wasn't fast enough to shepherd him out wide(i dont know who would be!), you can only do that if you have real pace. the best way against a quick winger is to stay tight on the man even when the ball is knowhere near him, El Abd is the strongest man in the team meaning if the winger does pick up the ball he wont have the strength to turn him, if the winger is running at you step between man and ball slowing the mans momentum down and make the challenge.

By backing off the player gets nearer to dangerous areas meaning IF you are beaten by him it is more likely to prove costly.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've watched Adam for years and he is a solid no nonense player, just needs to be more consistent at times like many of our players. He also suffered a bad injury and did well to get back into the side, I doubt any of our players are faultless yet some like Adam, Mayo, Fraser, Jake, Hammond before him get more grief as if its okay to bemoan your own homegrown talent.

Hope Adam keeps playing himself into the team.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I thought Bomber had a good game Sunday, he hoofed it a bit in the second half, but he's not as bad as some here think IMHO

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
great utility player and considering he is right footed puts up a pretty good show.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Cant remember any of the last five managers not featuring him in their squads when he's been available, so he cant be that poor. Yes, he's made costly errors now and again but this is L1, how many L1 players don't now and again?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
the way he runs with his arms flapping about amuses me, and I think he's a pretty good player that occasionally has a mistake.

He will certainly do his best in every position he's called up for and will certainly put his body on the line.

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
I thought he had a solid game, against a very tricky oponent, in a position that is obviously not even his second or third choice. Given a run in the centre of defence, opinions may well change.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I thought he had a solid game, against a very tricky oponent, in a position that is obviously not even his second or third choice. Given a run in the centre of defence, opinions may well change.

Not tall enough to be a CB IMHO.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've seen a lot worse performances in a Brighton shirt at leftback by players who were playing in their strongest postion. El Abd might not be the greatest player ever but he's Brighton born and bred, he can offer cover in four positions and never gives anything less than 100%.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
I've seen a lot worse performances in a Brighton shirt at leftback by players who were playing in their strongest postion. El Abd might not be the greatest player ever but he's Brighton born and bred, he can offer cover in four positions and never gives anything less than 100%.

agree completely. He is a useful squad player who will always be committed to the cause

Sillwood

Save the West Pier
Jul 19, 2007
Lewes District
Like a big tanker - slow to turn and no great top speed BUT you want him on your side rather than against. We need committed players in the squad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a signed Albion shirt from El Abd (yellow & blue) framed and hanging in my hallway.

That is all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here