Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
we are paying customers and critics!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
What right do any of us hav to say he shouldnt be a professional Footballer?

:thumbsup: well said.

He's a COVERING player, he provides COVER. as in, he's not the best, he's here to COVER for us in case of injuries to our LB and second choice LB. He's done a bloody good job of it considering he is right footed and slow.

I dare say he would seeing as I'm older and crapper than him at footie but I just don't think he's very good. Sure he's no LB but he's also a liability at CB, at RB and also as a holding midfielder. He doesn't seem to have great awareness of opposing players, he backs off far far far too often coupled with any real pace means he resorts to desperate lunges as he gets skinned time and time again, there's also a huge question mark over his concentration levels with hospital passes to team members and dodgy pass backs to keeper. On top of that, he may look hard but he does get muscled off the ball often. His distribution is woeful at times and often just involves desperate hoofball.

Obviously you'd forget to mention his wicked blocks, his great challenges, his desire to win, and how is he a liablity at holding? He passes to the side and back and does that well, not forward. He's good cover and versitile. Great asset to have at this level of football.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I never said he shouldn't be a professional footballer. I just don't think he's good enough for this level. I'm allowed to have an opinion, aren't I?

Of cause you are, and my post wasnt aimed at you.

I just find it funny that alot of people on here think they know more than the man paid to run this football team! (How many managers have picked El-Abd?)

Again, that last bit wasnt aimed at you x

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
f*** you Gollywog.

He's been one of the better players in our defence this season IMO, definitely better than the likes of Virgo who has been playing in his natural position.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So who is fit, and not being used elsewhere on the pitch, that would do a better job at left back? Let's have the names, then we can slag off the manager for playing El-Abd, but if there's no one better would you prefer we just started with 10 men?

He does his best, and right now that is better than anyone else available, so what's the problem?

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
yes hes not a championship player, but neither are one or two others in the SQUAD. with a bit of help from bennet he did a great job yesterday against a player that would cause a proper left back all sorts of problems, if he was so bad why was antonio taken off?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Can't fault his effort and commitment, however with everyone fully fit he wouldn't be in the starting 11. Adequate cover, though.

That's about the size of it, for me. As others have already pointed out, I think he's been pretty decent over the last few games - bearing in mind he's playing out of position & he's been given little in the way of support from central defenders & midfielders (although they did do a helluva lot better yesterday). I think we should lay of the guy, quite honestly. :shrug:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I f***ing love El-Bad I do. Gets asked to play left back, right back, centre back, midfield and always puts in the effort. Not the best player for sure but like OGH he makes up for it in comitment.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
:thumbsup: well said.

He's a COVERING player, he provides COVER. as in, he's not the best, he's here to COVER for us in case of injuries to our LB and second choice LB. He's done a bloody good job of it considering he is right footed and slow.

I dare say he would seeing as I'm older and crapper than him at footie but I just don't think he's very good. Sure he's no LB but he's also a liability at CB, at RB and also as a holding midfielder. He doesn't seem to have great awareness of opposing players, he backs off far far far too often coupled with any real pace means he resorts to desperate lunges as he gets skinned time and time again, there's also a huge question mark over his concentration levels with hospital passes to team members and dodgy pass backs to keeper. On top of that, he may look hard but he does get muscled off the ball often. His distribution is woeful at times and often just involves desperate hoofball.

Obviously you'd forget to mention his wicked blocks, his great challenges, his desire to win, and how is he a liablity at holding? He passes to the side and back and does that well, not forward. He's good cover and versitile. Great asset to have at this level of football.

It's all about opinions of course but in my opinion he's not good cover. He really is a liability. Of course he has some good games but his good to bad games ratio is not too high. And I completely disagree with you on his passing. At one point last season it was let's guess the time of El-Abd's suicidal backpass. He is not good at holding because he doesn't have good awareness or concentration and he gets pushed off the ball too often (in my opinion).

The argument that he has passion might work at some levels of football but the standard of Lg 1 has got a lot better of late and he really isn't up to that standard.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
That's about the size of it, for me. As others have already pointed out, I think he's been pretty decent over the last few games - bearing in mind he's playing out of position & he's been given little in the way of support from central defenders & midfielders (although they did do a helluva lot better yesterday). I think we should lay of the guy, quite honestly. :shrug:

I agree. Another new manager has come in and still picks him. Poyet has wiped the slate clean for all the players and will give them a chance over the next few months. Players like El abd are important because they can do a reasonable job in a few positions ie are versatile.

Give the guy break.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
yes hes not a championship player

Chastise me all you wish, my memory might be failing, but I seem to remember that he did rather well in our final season in the Championship and was certainly one of our better players.

He has racked up over two hundred appearances in League One and The Championship. Perhas we have just had an awful lot of poor defenders or an awful lot of poor managers over the last six years.

For what it is worth, I think he is a useful player to have in your squad. He keeps fit, he is willing to bust a gut and is a handy utility player. He faced a great deal of criticism after that Leeds mistake, harshly in my opinion as it took a deflection of Martot (I think) and fought back bravely.

I have only seen Brentford, Hartlepool and Southampton this season. I thought he played quite well in all of those games. Certainly the latter one being the biggest test. Not a natural left-back and up against the quickest guy on their team. He was fine when Poyet gave him a little more cover and put in some decent tackles and blocks.

Having said that, there will be a suicidal moment just around the corner. :facepalm:

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
I get a bit bored with the criticism levelled at him, he isn't a left back but he is in there doing a job and currently doing it pretty well. He is 100% committed on the pitch and deserves to be part of the squad.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It's all about opinions of course but in my opinion he's not good cover. He really is a liability. Of course he has some good games but his good to bad games ratio is not too high. And I completely disagree with you on his passing. At one point last season it was let's guess the time of El-Abd's suicidal backpass. He is not good at holding because he doesn't have good awareness or concentration and he gets pushed off the ball too often (in my opinion).

The argument that he has passion might work at some levels of football but the standard of Lg 1 has got a lot better of late and he really isn't up to that standard.

Obviously its all about opinion, however he's been a part of the team in varying degrees for a while now, including some championship games. I won't be able to get you to see things my way and vica verca, and on top of it all i'm tired :yawn: However, i feel that he does the job as a third LB, and as a sixth defender. I prefer him over Navarro at out and out in the back hole mid feilder, playing reverse sweeper (that is infront of the defence rather than behind it) and giving that little bit of cover and slowing down their attack.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Two different people at work spoke to me about the game today and they both picked out El-Abd saying dodgy start but from then on did really well. I hadn't even thought about his performance to be honest so was a little suprised when they mentioned him. Noticed he played a a good ball to start the move for the third goal.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
His biggest problem is that he has never settled in one position always seen as a utility player. When he played in the defensive midfield role thought he did well, currently doing a job for the team and despite a few dodgy moments did his job. Why do we always have to find a scapegoat (Virgo was on the bench yesterday anyway!)?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yeah, let's stop being positive and go back to slagging off the players again. That's bound to help.

PS - Tommy Elphick played rather well yesterday. I'd be interested to know the thoughts of all you spanners who have so readily jumped on his back this season. Most of you can be found here:

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?t=161140&highlight=tommy+elphick

He was voted player of the season 18 months ago by our fans in his first full season and is now just another scapegoat. Some of the stick some of young players get on here is purely counter productive and appalling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here